broadcasting matches online if we go down

oldtype

Is anyone on here in contact with somebody who gets to go to the supporter's panel meetings? If so, would they be willing to get that person to pass on word to the club about the possibility of broadcasting our matches online for the benefit of foreign supporters if we're playing in the Championship next year?

If we go down most of us overseas will no longer have any way of watching the matches, and I assume not being in the Premiership would clear up a lot of the messy TV rights issue that stops them from doing this right now.

It benefits the club short term in that a ton of overseas supporters would be willing to shell out a couple hundred a year for such a service, and also long term as if we're ever to be a "big club :rolleyes:" again, keeping foreign fans interested while we languish in the Championship will be important.

Should there be any legal issues (I'm not sure how TV rights work for the Football League,) surely they could be worked around by limiting access to countries where there are no conflicts of interest?

In any case, I think this is an extremely important issue for a lot of people on here, so I would appreciate it if someone could help us get it communicated to the club.

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

Guest optimistic nit

How in the f*** are things any different if we go down? There are still broadcasting rights and contracts, and they're still paid for, ergo internet streaming will still be illegal.

There's no way on earth NUFC would pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into buying their own broadcasting rights separate from the rest of the Football League.

Next.

Because those broadcasting rights may cost a mere fraction of what they would in the Premiership, and may therefore make an online streaming service economically feasible?

No club with the overseas following the size of NUFC's has ever gone down, so there's no precedent for this. IMO it's more than worth investigating whether this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

it would really piss off sky though imo, and while that is so so very tempting the club would never agree to do something like that (biting the hand that feeds you or any other cliche of your choice) and it wouldn't be a very good idea for the club.

Is anyone on here in contact with somebody who gets to go to the supporter's panel meetings? If so, would they be willing to get that person to pass on word to the club about the possibility of broadcasting our matches online for the benefit of foreign supporters if we're playing in the Championship next year?

If we go down most of us overseas will no longer have any way of watching the matches, and I assume not being in the Premiership would clear up a lot of the messy TV rights issue that stops them from doing this right now.

It benefits the club short term in that a ton of overseas supporters would be willing to shell out a couple hundred a year for such a service, and also long term as if we're ever to be a "big club :rolleyes:" again, keeping foreign fans interested while we languish in the Championship will be important.

Should there be any legal issues (I'm not sure how TV rights work for the Football League,) surely they could be worked around by limiting access to countries where there are no conflicts of interest?

In any case, I think this is an extremely important issue for a lot of people on here, so I would appreciate it if someone could help us get it communicated to the club.

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

Well I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to arrange your fucking viewing arrangement if and when the worst happens. I don't think it 's appropriate to be discussing them now on a "supporters" forum, do you?!

How in the f*** are things any different if we go down? There are still broadcasting rights and contracts, and they're still paid for, ergo internet streaming will still be illegal.

There's no way on earth NUFC would pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into buying their own broadcasting rights separate from the rest of the Football League.

Next.

Because those broadcasting rights may cost a mere fraction of what they would in the Premiership, and may therefore make an online streaming service economically feasible?

No club with the overseas following the size of NUFC's has ever gone down, so there's no precedent for this. IMO it's more than worth investigating whether this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

to be fair many would say leeds were as big.

The Premiership's popularity overseas was nowhere near where it was right now when Leeds went down though. Plus, Leeds were never a particularly well-supported club outside of the UK.

but if a club was to sell their individual rights ther biggest (by far) market would be the local one.

The idea is that the club might be able to negotiate a economically feasible deal for broadcasting rights without stepping on the BBC's toes if it was for transmission outside of the UK only.

I mean, what country outside of the UK does the Football League even sell rights to? There's probably pretty near 0 demand for any non-Premiership club's matches overseas other than NUFC's. Surely there's an economic niche that we can work with here.

i think you over estimate NUFC's TV pulling power when outside the prem.

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

Well I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to arrange your f***ing viewing arrangement if and when the worst happens. I don't think it 's appropriate to be discussing them now on a "supporters" forum, do you?!

This is an issue that is vital to mine and several other people's ability to support NUFC. I do not give a flying fuck whether you think this is an "appropriate" topic for discussion or not.

Next.

to be fair many would say leeds were as big.

The Premiership's popularity overseas was nowhere near where it was right now when Leeds went down though. Plus, Leeds were never a particularly well-supported club outside of the UK.

but if a club was to sell their individual rights ther biggest (by far) market would be the local one.

The idea is that the club might be able to negotiate a economically feasible deal for broadcasting rights without stepping on the BBC's toes if it was for transmission outside of the UK only.

I mean, what country outside of the UK does the Football League even sell rights to? There's probably pretty near 0 demand for any non-Premiership club's matches overseas other than NUFC's. Surely there's an economic niche that we can work with here.

i think you over estimate NUFC's TV pulling power when outside the prem.

Perhaps, but I'd at least like to see the option explored.

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

Well I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to arrange your f***ing viewing arrangement if and when the worst happens. I don't think it 's appropriate to be discussing them now on a "supporters" forum, do you?!

This is an issue that is vital to mine and several other people's ability to support NUFC. I do not give a flying fuck whether you think this is an "appropriate" topic for discussion or not.

We can do without your "support" thank you very much!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7080696.stm

The new agreements are worth £88m per season to Football League clubs and encompass terrestrial and pay television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

A fraction of the Premier League deal doesn't equal cheap.

It's an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, sorry.

I'm sure it's not as simple as "if the club wants to show matches it has to pay 88 million pounds." We'd be negotiating a deal for NUFC matches only, and for transmission limited to outside the United Kingdom and any other areas where the Football League sells broadcasting rights.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. I don't know exactly how this works. Neither do you. It seems worth it to ask people who do to look it over.

It's not just showing NUFC though is it, there's also an opponent every week we'd have to pay for.

I don't know exactly how it works no, but what I do know is that if we go down we're financially up shit creek without a paddle. Spending a small fortune to broadcast matches to overseas fans will be the absolute last thing on their agenda. You'd be laughed out of the building.

Thanks for starting this thread. If I can't watch NUFC over here in Canada on a regular basis, footy will just not be the same for me. I might have to consider cheering for a different club, which would be dreadful. Surely the club should think about its overseas fans if we go down, or else they may lose a great deal of us.

This has been on my mind more and more as the weeks pass by and our club looks more and more doomed.

It's easy for the local fans to take the piss out of us who are overseas in threads like this, but if NUFC go down we're the ones who lose the most. People over here who cheer for top four teams used to irritate me, but now I get it. At least they don't have to worry about their team going down and not being on tv.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7080696.stm

The new agreements are worth £88m per season to Football League clubs and encompass terrestrial and pay television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

A fraction of the Premier League deal doesn't equal cheap.

It's an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, sorry.

I'm sure it's not as simple as "if the club wants to show matches it has to pay 88 million pounds." We'd be negotiating a deal for NUFC matches only, and for transmission limited to outside the United Kingdom and any other areas where the Football League sells broadcasting rights.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. I don't know exactly how this works. Neither do you. It seems worth it to ask people who do to look it over.

It's not just showing NUFC though is it, there's also an opponent every week we'd have to pay for.

I don't know exactly how it works no, but what I do know is that if we go down we're financially up s*** creek without a paddle. Spending a small fortune to broadcast matches to overseas fans will be the absolute last thing on their agenda. You'd be laughed out of the building.

For all we know it could make us money. The football league does not sell its rights outside of the UK, so nobody knows what we would have to pay to do this. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why the option should be dismissed out of hand.

Thanks for starting this thread. If I can't watch NUFC over here in Canada on a regular basis, footy will just not be the same for me. I might have to consider cheering for a different club, which would be dreadful. Surely the club should think about its overseas fans if we go down, or else they may lose a great deal of us.

This has been on my mind more and more as the weeks pass by and our club looks more and more doomed.

It's easy for the local fans to take the piss out of us who are overseas in threads like this, but if NUFC go down we're the ones who lose the most. People over here who cheer for top four teams used to irritate me, but now I get it. At least they don't have to worry about their team going down and not being on tv.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

This is an issue that is vital to mine and several other people's ability to support NUFC. I do not give a flying f*** whether you think this is an "appropriate" topic for discussion or not.

We can do without your "support" thank you very much!

Hey, you're an idiot. Premiership would be nowhere near what it is today without foreign support.

We hardly have to lose the most, but it's unfair to suggest we have nothing invested.

Guest optimistic nit

We hardly have to lose the most, but it's unfair to suggest we have nothing invested.

nobody is suggesting you have nothing invested but thinking about how to watch to game next season in the championship should be the last thing on anybodies mind.

it should either be pouring over the fixture lists of us, blackburn, boro and hull or if you think we're already down then shitting yourself about the prospect of playing butt and nolan against barnsley next season

if you are being serious please take this opportunity to sod off now.

You'll just have to go without watching live matches, unless you actually travelled to the UK to watch some. I suppose some occasional illegal source would come up on the net, but it'd be pretty sparse. There'd be some online radio for you maybe.. or just live score updates.

tv isn't the end of the f***ing world man :lol:

It's not like I can go to the stadium to watch the game. I work my ass off all week and one of the things I really look forward to is being able to watch Newcastle on the weekends over the winter. We go down and that's that.

It amazes me that a team that is supposed to have the most "passionate" supporters would have so many assholes on a message board giving people grief for feeling strongly about the club and wanting to follow the team if we go down.

Just cheer on Man Utd instead mate. They'll never go down, they win something every year and you'll have the legendary Lee Stewart to emulate. You could even get some cornrows.

Guest optimistic nit

its more the fact that you said you'd 'consider cheering for a different club' i'm sure thats just the emotions getting to you, but still.

i cant watch the games at the stadium either, i'm a signed up member of the cockney mafia and at the moment i spend most of my life around 150 miles from the nearest 'english' football club, and as bad as things are i cant see us facing wrexham any time soon :razz: