broadcasting matches online if we go down

oldtype

I wish these clowns would fuck off!

My club is in dire straights, in need of unswerving support, and we've got a bunch of goons wondering where they are going to get their pictures from if the worst happens. And some clown is saying that he might have to support a different club!

Fuck off, this a supporters forum!

I wish these clowns would f*** off!

My club is in dire straights, in need of unswerving support, and we've got a bunch of goons wondering where they are going to get their pictures from if the worst happens. And some clown is saying that he might have to support a different club!

f*** off, this a supporters forum!

I'm not going to get drawn into this, but I wouldn't be posting this idea at all if I didn't fucking care.

its more the fact that you said you'd 'consider cheering for a different club' i'm sure thats just the emotions getting to you, but still.

i cant watch the games at the stadium either, i'm a signed up member of the cockney mafia and at the moment i spend most of my life around 150 miles from the nearest 'english' football club, and as bad as things are i cant see us facing wrexham any time soon :razz:

yup.  What our overseas friends might not realise is that fans even living over here that can't make it to SJP won't be able to see games live either.  We have "the championship" on sunday morning, but it doesn't exactly show extensive highlights.  The best bet if you're that desperate is to get nufctv, listen to BBC Radio Newcastle live online (believe it or not, this is what people used to do up until a few years ago!!!) and watch when they bung the highlights up.

As I said, this was done (albeit using MOTD for highlights, not the net) on a regular basis until recently.  Its not as bad as you think.  No need to go and support another club for christs sake.

I don't see how foreign supporters wondering how they'll be able to watch their club is ridiculous. I think that's nonsense personally.

As for the Canadian that might "consider cheering for another club", I have absolutely nothing to say in his defence.

Did anyone else use teletext for live scores way back when? I can always remember sitting with my uncle when Newcastle were playing Portsmouth and it was 0 - 0 until near the very end when it just changed to 1.. my uncle went absolutely mental!  :laugh:

I was a bit too young to realise the severity of not getting a result that day, but it was always tense times with just me, teletext and page 1 of 3.

Guest optimistic nit

Did anyone else use teletext for live scores way back when? I can always remember sitting with my uncle when Newcastle were playing Portsmouth and it was 0 - 0 until near the very end when it just changed to 1.. my uncle went absolutely mental!  :laugh:

I was a bit too young to realise the severity of not getting a result that day, but it was always tense times with just me, teletext and page 1 of 3.

i watched the arsenal 3-1 result on telytext. thinking about those celebrations now...

Teletext/Ceefax used to be the quickest and best way of finding out the scores. Plenty of Saturdays me and my mate would wander into a Comet/Dixons/Currys at 4.45pm to watch the demo tellies flick over from teletext page to page. It was fucking ace when the better tellys came out that let you select the page you wanted. You had to pick up the zapper on the sly though. :lol:

Wasn't even that long ago either really, I remember watching the Leeds 4-3 (Solano winner) on teletext in what was then Lillywhites.

Is anyone on here in contact with somebody who gets to go to the supporter's panel meetings? If so, would they be willing to get that person to pass on word to the club about the possibility of broadcasting our matches online for the benefit of foreign supporters if we're playing in the Championship next year?

If we go down most of us overseas will no longer have any way of watching the matches, and I assume not being in the Premiership would clear up a lot of the messy TV rights issue that stops them from doing this right now.

It benefits the club short term in that a ton of overseas supporters would be willing to shell out a couple hundred a year for such a service, and also long term as if we're ever to be a "big club :rolleyes:" again, keeping foreign fans interested while we languish in the Championship will be important.

Should there be any legal issues (I'm not sure how TV rights work for the Football League,) surely they could be worked around by limiting access to countries where there are no conflicts of interest?

In any case, I think this is an extremely important issue for a lot of people on here, so I would appreciate it if someone could help us get it communicated to the club.

Is this a f***ing joke?

nope

Well I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to arrange your f***ing viewing arrangement if and when the worst happens. I don't think it 's appropriate to be discussing them now on a "supporters" forum, do you?!

This is an issue that is vital to mine and several other people's ability to support NUFC. I do not give a flying fuck whether you think this is an "appropriate" topic for discussion or not.

We can do without your "support" thank you very much!

Don't speak on behalf of us all. Rather have the likes of oldtype supporting he club than the people that think you can't support the club unless your family has lived on the steps of SJP for 7 generations (not actually talking about you there btw).

tv isn't the end of the f***ing world man :lol:

It's not like I can go to the stadium to watch the game. I work my ass off all week and one of the things I really look forward to is being able to watch Newcastle on the weekends over the winter. We go down and that's that.

It amazes me that a team that is supposed to have the most "passionate" supporters would have so many assholes on a message board giving people grief for feeling strongly about the club and wanting to follow the team if we go down.

What the hell did you do before illegal streams or setanta? I was strangely thinking about this earlier before reading this thread.

Due to Setanta or certain avenues since moving to Canada I have been spoilt by the amount of games I can watch, between three sports channels every game is covered over here. I dont think I have missed a match this season. Growing up in the south (uk) I never had the oppurtunity to go up to Newcastle much and there were barely games on tv.

It wasnt so long ago Id been stuck on ceefax updates or listening to the radio and you know what sometimes it was a hell of a lot more exciting than watching the match on TV, imagining the passes, picturing the finish, for f***s sakes looking forward to Match of the Day to see the goals I had imagined.

There will always be radio coverage, now text updates, or soccer saturday, the odd games on TV. Maybe they will extend the highlights on the website which is more than fine. Modern culture is so dependant on having everything handed to them on a plate without doing any work and demanding it now, its not going to kill anyone to go without. If anything it might bring people back to games.

What happens if we stay up and your TV breaks, will you have to give up on football or live sport itself? or maybe even get up off your ass and do something productive? In a society that lets you watch or do pretty much what you want when you want it shouldnt be hard.

Ya bugger, beat me too it, knew I shouldnt have ranted so long! Tuning in to bbc final whistle praying for a goal update... steve watson forcing one in to save our blushes. I remember the epic 2-3 win away at leeds really not that long ago in the Bobby Robson era and the excitment of listening to it in the car on the radio!

On this, whilst on I'm a celeb get me out of here, in the first series Ant and Dec purchased the rights to Newcastles games in Australia for the pricelly sum of £6k. Whilst it's not currently possible for English clubs to sell their UK rights to the highest UK bidder they are allowed to abroad. So technically there is nothing to stop someone from say the US or Canada buy the rights probably for around £6k for internet streaming and then stream away for the world to see.

Not sure exactly what they got for the deals whether it was one game, the whole season, home games only or what. Just know they did it.

Like someone said, it'll be the likes of BBC sport website, maybe online radio if you subscribe to Newcastle World (£40 iirc, and commentary of every game) and the occasional online stream. Highlights packages won't be hard to come by. You'll probably have just as much (if not more) exposure to it as I did when I was 6, pre-internet to all intents and purposes, and living in Kent.

ive actually laughed none stop throughout pade 2 of this thread, my dog looks concerned!!

i actually do cheer on another team, glory hunting with the mighty burton albion.

and i wouldnt worry about watching nufc, im sure there will be plenty of live games... + early league cup and fa cup games. bound to be on bbc / sky in them

we may laugh at thewellander and oldtype, but the club's fanbase will shrink significantly if we go down, by the time we go back up we'll be more like west ham or sunderland than spurs or villa in terms of global following. the longer we stay down there the more we will wither away.

it would take some keegan and robson-esque periods of over-achievement to ever be as big as we were again. in terms of overseas fans the damage may be irrepairable, but the local support should - fingers crossed - be fairly stable, even if far fewer fans decide to shell out for games.

"your club" is just as much theirs as it is yours you clown. You're supporting the same side. They wanted to know how to watch the team they support from another country as going down is going to severely effect our level of coverage abroad. Nothing wrong with that atall. Your reaction to it is moronic.