Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Liverpool 216 (118)

Real Madrid 35 (13)

Newcastle United 68 (27)

England 89 (40)

Not bad that.  For a weak arse, midget, striker who isnt both footed. 

As far as I'm concerned all of those were scored by a different player.

So we have a striker who scores just under 50% in a s**** side and he's finished as a player?  Not good enough for anywhere else, not even Newcastle.

He doesnt play well for us for the simple fact he relies on service.  Jonas, Butt, Nolan, R Taylor, Duff cant move the ball quick enough, beat their man, pull of a slick passing move, cant play an intelligent pass.

Also the fact we aint had a target man pretty much the whole season.

His first 10 in 16 don't count either. Again, different player.

So that leaves us with 17 goals in 52 matches, which is just about around Afonso Alves territory.

Oh, and he's on 100k a week.

dmck let me ask you this.

If by some miracle we could swap Owen for any of the Arsenal strikers for the run in till the end of the season would you switch him for any of them? Or keep Owen?

Swap him for any of Arshavin, Adebayor or van Persie without question.

They create and score chances, be more important to the team.

27 shots on goal this year 14 goals.. idiot.

Liverpool 216 (118)

Real Madrid 35 (13)

Newcastle United 68 (27)

England 89 (40)

Not bad that.  For a weak arse, midget, striker who isnt both footed. 

As far as I'm concerned all of those were scored by a different player.

So we have a striker who scores just under 50% in a s**** side and he's finished as a player?  Not good enough for anywhere else, not even Newcastle.

He doesnt play well for us for the simple fact he relies on service.  Jonas, Butt, Nolan, R Taylor, Duff cant move the ball quick enough, beat their man, pull of a slick passing move, cant play an intelligent pass.

Also the fact we aint had a target man pretty much the whole season.

His first 10 in 16 don't count either. Again, different player.

So that leaves us with 17 goals in 52 matches, which is just about around Afonso Alves territory.

Oh, and he's on 100k a week.

Swap Owen for Arshavin in a heartbeat, its all about form, Owen has non Arshavin is in great form would score goals and would create chances for others.

You seem to be implying like there would actually be a debate either way :lol: I'd gladly give away every player in the senior squad right now for Arshavin, never mind just Owen.

I'd swap him easy for any of Arsenal's attacking players. And yes, that includes the Danish Ameobi.

the idea that owen is more clinical than arshavin, van persie or eduardo....  :kinnear:

Whole career suggests so. Daft idea huh?

No, not really. 90% of the work Owen does (or used to do) in order to score is down to anticipation, movement and positioning. Mix that with the pace, acceleration and vigour he once had and it is a recipe for goals. His actual finishing was never anything more than average. Now that his legs have gone he has no pace and no power in his shots, so finds it more difficult to get scoring opportunities and more difficult to convert them into goals. Someone like Fowler at his peak could score different kinds of goals from difficult chances, while someone like Shearer was just so powerful and accurate that the goal usually flew in. Owen lacks the guile, touch and invention that Fowler had, and the placement and power that Shearer had. He is an instinctive finisher who relies on other parts of his game and other players to provide chances, nothing more.

In terms of pure finishing RVP and Arshavin are absolutely light-years ahead of him, the only reason they don't score so many is because there is far more to their game and they spend much more time in other areas of the pitch, arshavin in particular plays as much as a winger as he does a striker. Eduardo's finishing is also better and his international goal scoring record for croatia is better than owen's for england.

the idea that owen is more clinical than arshavin, van persie or eduardo....  :kinnear:

No, not really. 90% of the work Owen does (or used to do) in order to score is down to anticipation, movement and positioning. Mix that with the pace, acceleration and vigour he once had and it is a recipe for goals. His actual finishing was never anything more than average. Now that his legs have gone he has no pace and no power in his shots, so finds it more difficult to get scoring opportunities and more difficult to convert them into goals. Someone like Fowler at his peak could score different kinds of goals from difficult chances, while someone like Shearer was just so powerful and accurate that the goal usually flew in. Owen lacks the guile, touch and invention that Fowler had, and the placement and power that Shearer had. He is an instinctive finisher who relies on other parts of his game and other players to provide chances, nothing more.

In terms of pure finishing RVP and Arshavin are absolutely light-years ahead of him, the only reason they don't score so many is because there is far more to their game and they spend much more time in other areas of the pitch, arshavin in particular plays as much as a winger as he does a striker. Eduardo's finishing is also better and his international goal scoring record for croatia is better than owen's for england.

Ok argue that then, like 3rd time posted it.  How are they light years now?

I'd say a striker who contributes absolutely nothing anywhere else on the pitch and plunks it straight at the keeper 14/27 of the time is exceptionally poor.

Arshavin has 39/46 by the way. Adebayor has 30/35. I stopped checking after that because this was obviously going to get depressing.

Hmm... I seem to be forgetting something.

Oh yes.

IDIOT

:lol:

EDIT: Jesus Christ, even Martins has 18/20

I'd say a striker who contributes absolutely nothing anywhere else on the pitch and can only put away 1/2 clear cut chances is exceptionally poor.

Arshavin has 39/46 by the way. Adebayor has 30/35. I stopped checking after that because this was obviously going to get depressing.

Hmm... I seem to be forgetting something.

Oh yes.

IDIOT

:lol:

Ok now check the amount of shots they take.  In total.  Owens is like 50.. they are double i bet.  I aint checked by the way.

Guest neesy111

i would like to see how many of target he has because i remember him missing at least 10 chances between the 2 hull cup games

he's finished, got no pace, shit captain, offers nothing to the team and is a midget

1 goal in 16, thats a hell lot worse than shola

Guest neesy111

Adebayor - 100 shots.  35 on target.  21 goals.  A goal every 5 shots.  CLINICAL.

he can create 1/2 of his own chances, remember owen cannot create anything for himself

Adebayor - 100 shots.  35 on target.  21 goals.  A goal every 5 shots.  CLINICAL.

he can create 1/2 of his own chances, remember owen cannot create anything for himself

We was arguing about Owen being a good addition to Arsenal,  as they try walk it into the net and dont have a type of striker like him.  Around the 6 yard box, tucking chances in.

Because he never attempts any kind of shot that isnt put on a plate for him? i dont know about your stats but from what i can find this season he has 8 goals and 34 shots, Martins in comparison has had 68 shots, literally twice as many, because he is more likely fashion chances for himself and more likely to take speculative shots. The fact owen has attempted to score so few times is the damning statistic here.

Give RVP, Eduardo or Arshavin the same chances as Owen and they'll score more times than he will. Let Owen try to score the difficult goals those players do and he'll fail miserably.

i would like to see how many of target he has because i remember him missing at least 10 chances between the 2 hull cup games

he's finished, got no pace, s*** captain, offers nothing to the team and is a midget

1 goal in 16, thats a hell lot worse than shola

He took 51 total shots this year.

Because he never attempts any kind of shot that isnt put on a plate for him? i dont know about your stats but from what i can find this season he has 8 goals and 34 shots, Martins in comparison has had 68 shots, literally twice as many, because he is more likely fashion chances for himself and more likely to take speculative shots. The fact owen has attempted to score so few times is the damning statistic here.

including England which is fair.  As proves he needs service.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/gamelog?id=7930&cc=5739

All I'm going to say is that if you went anywhere in the country right now and suggested that Owen would be a useful addition to the top 4 side, you'd be laughed out.

Just like you're being done right here right now.

All I'm going to say is that if you went anywhere in the country right now and suggested that Owen would be a useful addition to the top 4 side, you'd be laughed out.

Ok i BET i can go to any forum of the top 4 and will get a fair amount of people who will say yes they would.  Certainly wouldn't get laughed at.

After all isnt he amongst one of the all time greatest strikers in the league??  England national team?  Just a shame in crap team.

I just proved to you, that your argument was shite .. and that Owen is a clinical striker.  You denying that is quite laughable, really.

Guest neesy111

yes, fabio cappello isn't a stupid manager, he can see right through owen

fwiw Owen would score a fair amount of goals in a good side. not because of his finishing, which is actually now quite poor, but because he still has decent anticipation, movement and positioning and because those sides would create a crapload of good chances for him.

dmck let me ask you this.

If by some miracle we could swap Owen for any of the Arsenal strikers for the run in till the end of the season would you switch him for any of them? Or keep Owen?

Swap him for any of Arshavin, Adebayor or van Persie without question.

They create and score chances, be more important to the team.

So why on Earth would Wenger show any hint of interest in our grubby, pass it's sell by date striker?

Owen is too one dimensional and too slow he wouldn't be able to keep up with those kids at Arsenal.

Those Arsenal kids are the future of the game. Young, fresh, exciting and sexy football.

Owen would be so out of place. He would be the guy no one wants to sit next to at lunch.

Guest neesy111

I just proved to you, that your argument was shite .. and that Owen is a clinical striker.  You denying that is quite laughable, really.

you said he was a 1 in 2 striker, but he's had 51 chances thats more than 1 in 4

so that's the arguement of that done