Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Upset the girlfriend shouting at the TV when he scuffed that chance.

The roar of "Fucking Muppet!!" when Oba skied his sitter didn't go down well but the sheer viciousness with which I went after Owen seemed to really cause surprise. :lol:

Still think ManU is a possibility - very unlikely, no doubt about that, but I still think it's possible, for a number of reasons:

1) Tevez will most likely be leaving this summer. He's unhappy at constantly being dropped and ManU will have to pay a big fee to keep him permanently. There's probably a small chance that in between now and the end of the season, Tevez becomes a regular first teamer, and ManU pay a hefty price for another two season loan, but that's looking unlikely right now. Should Tevez leave, who is the replacement? I'm not sure that the likes of Webber are good enough for to step up to first team duties, and for CL games Fergie will want experience to call on should he really need it. Given the debt levels of the club, would he really want to spend big money yet again on another striker who'll probably still play second fiddle to Berbatov/Rooney?

2) Ferguson has shown in the past that he likes the odd veteran striker who can do a good job. Henrik Larsson and Teddy Sheringham spring to mind. Owen may not be as good an all-rounder as both of them were, but he's in a similar mould imo, a player who knows what he's doing, has a solid touch, good movement, so on and so forth.

3) Ferguson has also shown that he likes signing Premiership proven strikers down the years, more so than other managers at top clubs certainly. In fact, bar one or two exceptions, all of his big money strikers have come from other Premiership clubs.

4) Owen could be seen as a Solksjaer replacement - a super sub who uses his intelligence and movement to take advantage of weak defences and score simple goals. On top of which, the spell in midfield last season where his form was good could have opened a few eyes about just how adaptable he is, because previously most would have had him down as a poacher type who stays anonymous an entire game before popping up on the end of a chance.

5) Owen, on the face of it, would probably take a huge wage drop if it meant being able to play for someone like ManU - and ManU would be in the driving seat with this, as it's difficult seeing him having any alternative top offers from clubs within England. He's on a free transfer too, so overall, it could be a pretty cheap solution for Ferguson.

6) Owen's form is s*** right now, but surrounded by top class players, one of the best coaching setups in Europe, top training facilities that clubs like ours probably don't even get close to, so on and so forth, there'd be a good chance that his confidence, form, strength, finishing, etc, would pick up.

Again, very unlikely, it's quite possible that Ferguson like other top managers sees Owen as an injury prone luxury who is in truth spent force, but it would make sense for ManU to take the plunge given the circumstances.

I don't think i've ever been so angry about a missed chance. I'm still seething now but i wanted to fucking cry at the time. That really was the moment.

I have to say I thought Oba's miss was "the chance" like.

Yeah it looked like a bad one. Was sat up in the Leazes so didn't get a clear view of it, but given the resulting corner i though it must have got a big deflection. Looking forward to the replay. :undecided:

At the moment he's basically the Damien Duff of strikers. I really don't see anybody wanting him and his wages that desperately.

I think just maybe if shit gets truly desperate he might try to play the hero card by going down with us to the Championship. He's a guy who gives a lot of thought to what will be good for his career/legacy and he just might think that having a storming season in the Championship and becoming a local hero in Newcastle by bringing them back up might reflect upon him better than toiling anonymously at Fulham or Wigan for a year.

Not implying that any of this is particularly likely :lol: but it's an interesting thought.

I don't think i've ever been so angry about a missed chance. I'm still seething now but i wanted to fucking cry at the time. That really was the moment.

Yeah it looked like a bad one. Was sat up in the Leazes so didn't get a clear view of it, but given the resulting corner i though it must have got a big deflection. Looking forward to the replay. :undecided:

Shouldn't have been a corner, went straight over. :(

he could do a very decent job at arsenal. they've needed a striker like him for a while now.

An unbelievable statement!

Eduardo is everything Owen was and more.

Adebayor, Van Persie, Carlos Vela and even Bendtner are far more useful.

The likes of Arshavin, Nasri and even Diaby can play as second strikers also.

Unless they are looking for a boot cleaner Owen need not apply.

it didnt take a deflection. the only thing i could say is that he almost fell over as he landed after going for the header, and this put him off balance for the shot. but he has to do better with a chance like that. same goes for owen. viduka also had two great chances (when guthrie's shot came to him and when james fumbled). a fitter, more nimble player wouldve done better with those two, viduka never really looked like he could get to the ball in time.

anyway, even though i think he still has something to offer, i'd reluctantly drop Owen. the best we've played in a while was when we had Martins and Lovenkrands up front. infact those two offered the best movement in the final third we've seen all season. I'd play those two alongside Viduka who, in technical terms, is a class above anyone else in our squad.

If we're going to play 4-3-3 then maybe have Jonas playing in a free floating role in front of a front 3 and have Viduka and Martins up front (fitness permitting).

Drop Owen and let him come on as a super sub if needed.

he could do a very decent job at arsenal. they've needed a striker like him for a while now.

Arsenal create chances left, right and center.  How many times have ALL the players you have listed tried to walk into into the net and either draw or not even score at all!

Owen would be a great addition, imo more clinical than all those strikers, certainly more intelligent.  A crap side, and a forward who relies on service isnt going to make him look good.  A good side + confidence and his ability in front of goal, great match-up for him.

Arsenal create chances left, right and center.  How many times have ALL the players you have listed tried to walk into into the net and either draw or not even score at all!

Owen would be a great addition, imo more clinical than all those strikers, certainly more intelligent.  A crap side, and a forward who relies on service isnt going to make him look good.  A good side + confidence and his ability in front of goal, great match-up for him.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus Lord please have mercy on this man for the blasphemy he has spoketh!

Owen more clinical than who?

What football do you watch? Are you seriously joking?

Owen whose shots generate less power than a newborn's would? Owen who cannot shoot from outside the box? Owen who cannot shoot with his left foot? Who can no longer go past anyone? Who can no longer finish one on one with the goalie?

Owen is now a midget striker who occassionally scores headers from 5 yards or less or tap ins from 5 yards from less. 95% of his goals come this way. Outside of these he does absolutely nothing else in general play.

How dare you compare this player to Eduardo, Adebayor, Van Persie, Arshavin, Vela etc.

How dare you man! I am flabbergasted.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus Lord please have mercy on this man for the blasphemy he has spoketh!

Owen more clinical than who?

What football do you watch? Are you seriously joking?

Owen whose shots generate less power than a newborn's would? Owen who cannot shoot from outside the box? Owen who cannot shoot with his left foot? Who can no longer go past anyone? Who can no longer finish one on one with the goalie?

Owen is now a midget striker who occassionally scores headers from 5 yards or less or tap ins from 5 yards from less. 95% of his goals come this way. Outside of these he does absolutely nothing else in general play.

How dare you compare this player to Eduardo, Adebayor, Van Persie, Arshavin, Vela etc.

How dare you man! I am flabbergasted.

Been a one in two game striker for his whole career.  International career too, moved to foreign country, hardly any opportunities still excelled. 

His general play when not trying to play off the last man is very good, amongst the best in the squad.  If you argue he isnt intelligent and not clinical (despite whole carear saying otherwise) your a fool.

Your the guy who said we BLATANTLY had 2/3 players signed on last day.  So..  As for Owen being one footed - wtf does that even mean, you seen Torres on his weaker foot?

Owen at Liverpool scored a fair number of goals with his left-foot as well.

Shame this version of Owen has been extinct for what? 5 years now?

His right foot is just about serviceable right now never mind his left! His left doesn't even register anymore.

We are talking about the Owen of today playing at Arsenal and being more clinical than all of their strikers???

You are either a major WUM or monumental WUM.

Erm no he is in my opinion,  his record throughout his carear has been.  He is a striker plays on coinfidence and service, a concept i dont think you understand.

If you look at how much chances Arsenal create, they are super wasteful he is more clinical then all of them - look at his carear goals/games ratio.  It's a fact.

When Arsenal cross the ball through 6 yard box, most of the Arsenal players are on the edge of the area if you have ever seen them play, Owen would be right there.  Arsenal are without this player.

Can't believe you put Diaby, Vela and Bendtner in that list btw shocking, Vela has had about 2 good games, Diaby is DCM and Bendtner has been shocking most games.

Liverpool 216 (118)

Real Madrid 35 (13)

Newcastle United 68 (27)

England 89 (40)

Not bad that.  For a weak arse, midget, striker who isnt both footed. 

As far as I'm concerned all of those were scored by a different player.

We are talking about the Owen of today playing at Arsenal and being more clinical than all of their strikers???

You are either a major WUM or monumental WUM.

Erm no he is in my opinion,  his record throughout his carear has been.  He is a striker plays on coinfidence and service, a concept i dont think you understand.

If you look at how much chances Arsenal create, they are super wasteful he is more clinical then all of them - look at his carear goals/games ratio.  It's a fact.

When Arsenal cross the ball through 6 yard box, most of the Arsenal players are on the edge of the area if you have ever seen them play, Owen would be right there.  Arsenal are without this player.

Can't believe you put Diaby, Vela and Bendtner in that list btw shocking, Vela has had about 2 good games, Diaby is DCM and Bendtner has been shocking most games.

I put Vela, Bendtner and Diaby in there because my regard for the Owen I see out there for Newcastle this season is that low.

You can talk about his record all you want but he is never a better striker today than Eduardo and Adebayor in particular or any of the others I have mentioned.

Bearing in the mind the multi faceted games all of the Arsenal strikers have and the variety of ways they can score goals and create chances.

Owen is a nothing player in comparison.

Sorry.

Liverpool 216 (118)

Real Madrid 35 (13)

Newcastle United 68 (27)

England 89 (40)

Not bad that.  For a weak arse, midget, striker who isnt both footed. 

As far as I'm concerned all of those were scored by a different player.

So we have a striker who scores just under 50% in a shite side and he's finished as a player?  Not good enough for anywhere else, not even Newcastle.

He doesnt play well for us for the simple fact he relies on service.  Jonas, Butt, Nolan, R Taylor, Duff cant move the ball quick enough, beat their man, pull of a slick passing move, cant play an intelligent pass.

Also the fact we aint had a target man pretty much the whole season.

dmck let me ask you this.

If by some miracle we could swap Owen for any of the Arsenal strikers for the run in till the end of the season would you switch him for any of them? Or keep Owen?