Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/05/09 - post match reaction from page 17

Dave

Why do we never play football on the floor anymore?

Because there is no movement off the ball. The player in possession looks up for a pass, can't find anyone within 30 yards so he attempts keep hold of the ball until someone makes space for him. No-one is forthcoming so the player in possession has to boot it long up the pitch.

Our ball retention must be the worst in the league. It's absolutely pitiful.

Too true, and it is the biggest truism in football that you can't create anything if you don't keep hold of the ball. Our players need to think to themselves 'if I play this ball what are the chances my team mate will receive it?'. If the answer is 'unlikely', then don't fucking try it!

Too many speculative balls over the top totally wasted.

I think the only thought that goes through most of our team's heads ,when in possession is, "shit, I got the ball.  Shit... where can I offload it so I can't get tackled... Shit... just kick it!"

Why do we never play football on the floor anymore?

Because there is no movement off the ball. The player in possession looks up for a pass, can't find anyone within 30 yards so he attempts keep hold of the ball until someone makes space for him. No-one is forthcoming so the player in possession has to boot it long up the pitch.

Our ball retention must be the worst in the league. It's absolutely pitiful.

Too true, and it is the biggest truism in football that you can't create anything if you don't keep hold of the ball. Our players need to think to themselves 'if I play this ball what are the chances my team mate will receive it?'. If the answer is 'unlikely', then don't f***ing try it!

Too many speculative balls over the top totally wasted.

I think the only thought that goes through most of our team's heads ,when in possession is, "s***, I got the ball.  s***... where can I offload it so I can't get tackled... s***... just kick it!"

You're right of course but there is often no option at all to the player with the ball. It pains me to watch other teams who have so much movement; strikers peeling off defenders, wide players overlapping to take defenders away, a couple of players coming short to receive the ball whilst others create space, make angles etc.

We are so leaden, unimaginative and static any fairly organised midfield/defence can close our game down and crush the life out of us.

Can't score, can't defend = relegation.

I wouldn't put this on our strikers...as they don't get any decent service and have it all on their own to create chances. How about that 1,6 goals per game we concede?

Yet again the general nature of the goals we conceded today were really really worrying. A fucking conference side would score against this kind of defending. I think our defence did okay but it's the midfield who put them under pressure constantly. Defensively our players positional sense seems to be non-existent as they keep closing down opponents very badly. Just take a look at Butt and what happens around him on the pitch! All they need to do in this kind of a game is to stick close enough to their marker and not allow them space at all. It's a lot easier to defend than attack and did we really have any other option than defend today? The whole midfield are running like headless chicken and we've got no balance in the team at all. I was like a walk in the park for Pool today as in possession their players got like 3 easy passing option everywhere and our players did their fair share to help the matter by leaving opponents behind their backs totally unmarked. If you ask any Liverpool player I'm pretty sure they had the easiet game of the season today as it looked like a real joy for players out there...

What does it tell about our squad if an unknown French youngster came on trial here from lowly Metz and goes on to pick the player of the season award? Just horrible as we're supposed to have lots of proven and experienced players for this level!!!

Harper 6

Beye 5

Coloccini 5

Bassong 6

Duff 7

Butt 3

Smith 4

Barton 2 (mostly due to the red card)

Oba 3

Viduka 4 (Owen 4)

Lovenkrands 5 (Jonas 4)

I wouldn't put this on our strikers...as they don't get any decent service and have it all on their own to create chances. How about that 1,6 goals per game we concede?

Yet again the general nature of the goals we conceded today were really really worrying. A fucking conference side would score against this kind of defending. I think our defence did okay but it's the midfield who put them under pressure constantly. Defensively our players positional sense seems to be non-existent as they keep closing down opponents very badly. Just take a look at Butt and what happens around him on the pitch! All they need to do in this kind of a game is to stick close enough to their marker and not allow them space at all. It's a lot easier to defend than attack and did we really have any other option than defend today? The whole midfield are running like headless chicken and we've got no balance in the team at all. I was like a walk in the park for Pool today as in possession their players got like 3 easy passing option everywhere and our players did their fair share to help the matter by leaving opponents behind their backs totally unmarked. If you ask any Liverpool player I'm pretty sure they had the easiet game of the season today as it looked like a real joy for players out there...

What does it tell about our squad if an unknown French youngster came on trial here from lowly Metz and goes on to pick the player of the season award? Just horrible as we're supposed to have lots of proven and experienced players for this level!!!

Harper 6

Beye 5

Coloccini 5

Bassong 6

Duff 7

Butt 3

Smith 4

Oba 3

Viduka 4 (Owen 4)

Lovenkrands 5 (Jonas 4)

Just about sums everything up.

Thought smith, bassong, harper and duff were our best to be honest. At least smith tried and played a few decent passes.

Nicky Butt was dreadful.  He should never be allowed to play again

Points wise this game doesn't mean that much as we were always going to get panned. The fact we couldn't be bothered to run or mark players suggests that some of our players are resigned to going down/couldn't give a fuck. That's the worrying thing to take from this game.

Points wise this game doesn't mean that much as we were always going to get panned. The fact we couldn't be bothered to run or mark players suggests that some of our players are resigned to going down/couldn't give a f***. That's the worrying thing to take from this game.

rubbish....just didn't want to wear themselves out or risk injury for boro.

I really am in despair now - not because of the result, which was only to be expected, but because of Barton. He was our best hope, and with that sending off he's let everyone down. Unbelievably stupid and irresponsible in the circumstances.

Guest north shields lad

Oh well i thought Liverpool might have had an off day after manchester uniteds result, pretty much secured the league yesterday. We were awful, could of been 10-0. And why shearer started laughing when the scousers were taking the piss out of us i dont know. :no:

Im still 80% certain were staying up.

Oh and as for Barton, how anyone can make excuses for him is beyond me, he is a classless thug who has no right to be at our club. That was a cowards challenge, he ended up in front of the ball for god sake. Sack him now.

Guest LucaAltieri

Oh well i thought Liverpool might have had an off day after manchester uniteds result, pretty much secured the league yesterday. We were awful, could of been 10-0. And why shearer started laughing when the scousers were taking the piss out of us i dont know. :no:

Im still 80% certain were staying up.

Oh and as for Barton, how anyone can make excuses for him is beyond me, he is a classless thug who has no right to be at our club. That was a cowards challenge, he ended up in front of the ball for god sake. Sack him now.

Dave! DAVE!

We've scored FOUR goals in our last TEN games! We are absolutely pathetic  going forward with no creativity and no off the ball movement, I'll be shocked if we manage to beat Boro and Fulham.

It'll be a miracle of epic proportions if that shower of s**** drag us out of this nightmare. Nobody wants the repsonsibility.  :tickedoff: Responsibility is a dirty word to those goons. About as attractive as Dowie in lipstick and crotchless panties.

I feel sorry for Shearer, the frustration and pain is written on his face, he simply has to throw some crazy dice against the smogs if we're 0-0 after an hour and looking unlikely to score (which is kind of a given, lets be honest), he has to throw on some of the young bloods and maybe, just maybe their desire and lack of fear & apathy can get us over the line.  :undecided:

Guest neesy111

It'll be a miracle of epic proportions if that shower of s**** drag us out of this nightmare. Nobody wants the repsonsibility.  :tickedoff: Responsibility is a dirty word to those goons. About as attractive as Dowie in lipstick and crotchless panties.

I feel sorry for Shearer, the frustration and pain is written on his face, he simply has to throw some crazy dice against the smogs if we're 0-0 after an hour and looking unlikely to score (which is kind of a given, lets be honest), he has to throw on some of the young bloods and maybe, just maybe their desire and lack of fear & apathy can get us over the line.  :undecided:

top post

no one is big enough to shoulder any responsability for what has happened this season, shows that all the players are cowards tbh

:fwap:

Yet again the general nature of the goals we conceded today were really really worrying. A f***ing conference side would score against this kind of defending. I think our defence did okay but it's the midfield who put them under pressure constantly. Defensively our players positional sense seems to be non-existent as they keep closing down opponents very badly. Just take a look at Butt and what happens around him on the pitch! All they need to do in this kind of a game is to stick close enough to their marker and not allow them space at all. It's a lot easier to defend than attack and did we really have any other option than defend today? The whole midfield are running like headless chicken and we've got no balance in the team at all. I was like a walk in the park for Pool today as in possession their players got like 3 easy passing option everywhere and our players did their fair share to help the matter by leaving opponents behind their backs totally unmarked. If you ask any Liverpool player I'm pretty sure they had the easiet game of the season today as it looked like a real joy for players out there...

Harper 6

Beye 5

Coloccini 5

Bassong 6

Duff 7

Butt 3

Smith 4

Oba 3

Viduka 4 (Owen 4)

Lovenkrands 5 (Jonas 4)

Just about sums everything up.

It's a bit ridiculous to say Bassong was an unknown prospect. It's like saying Aaron Lennon was an unknown youngster. The player was a highly regarded product of what might be the best academy in the entire world. He had been quite well known among the football community in France for some time. Frankly, Bassong was not random luck. He was a good signing. The kind of business that would have been useful as the teams of of the earlier part of this decade were deteriorating.

Same shit, different game

No creativity, no movement and players who have hundreds of international caps between them apparently can't pass a football

That must be Barton's last game for us too, he's got a horrific appearance record for us, much of it has been due to injuries but there have been too many suspended games too

It's a bit ridiculous to say Bassong was an unknown prospect. It's like saying Aaron Lennon was an unknown youngster. The player was a highly regarded product of what might be the best academy in the entire world. He had been quite well known among the football community in France for some time. Frankly, Bassong was not random luck. He was a good signing. The kind of business that would have been useful as the teams of of the earlier part of this decade were deteriorating.

He wasn't highly regarded amongst the Metz fans who thought they'd robbed us of £1.5m.

Guest Phil K

Thing is - most of these w@nkers think they'll walk into other Prem clubs when they've got us relegated.

Owen'll be off of course - maybe on less than half his obscenely unearned wages here.

Bassong'll be off to France (with Arsenal) The others will end up at teams who've just avoided relegation, or just come up.

And sorry - but at least Barton showed some feeling towards the fans - more than the rest put together.

Didn't help us any of course, but I've got to the point where even a hare brained lunge is better than the **** all coming from the rest.