Mark Viduka

lovejoy

Mark Viduka is a Melbourne lad and he wants to play for Australia in the next world cup. Australian champions, Melbourne Victory, have just sold their centre forward, Danny Alsopp, to some club in Qatar. I would not be surprised to see Viduka offered a contract by Melbourne Victory for the remander of the Australian season to get him fit to go to the WC.

Furthermore, a new Melbourne team is coming into the competition next season and the rumour here is that Viduka is lined up to be the marquee player, simlar to what Robbie Fowler is for the new Queensland team.

Viduka has little interest in the World Cup - he hasn't played for Australia for more than two years (indeed, he has never played under Pim Verbeek). As much as the idea of Scott MacDonald leading the line in Australia has me shaking in terror, Viduka playing instead just isn't realistic.

And as for playing on in the A-League, let me reproduce an interview which says pretty clearly to me that it isn't going to happen:

Viduka coming back home

Mark Viduka has decided to quit European football for good and head home to Australia, his agent revealed on Friday as the curtain appeared to finally fall on the former Socceroos skipper’s venerated 16-year professional career.

Just a month after predicting Viduka would return to the national team and extend his Premier League life by one more year, London-based Steve Kutner admitted it was all over for the most gifted - and unpredictable - striker ever to wear the green and gold.

“I can confirm that Mark will not be seeking another contract in England or Europe and is coming home to Australia to live,” Kutner told The World Game.

“He’s about to enter a new phase in his life and whether that includes playing again in Australia I am not sure.

“He’s had a superb 11 years or so in the UK (at Celtic, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Newcastle) and he’s made his mind up to now move on. Mark has other priorities now and wants to take his life in a different direction.

Free agent Viduka’s decision to pull the plug comes just a week after he was linked with a shock move to West Ham, after previous bids by Portsmouth and Fulham failed to tempt the hulking 33-year-old to continue at the top level after parting ways with relegated Newcastle.

Kutner’s confirmation of his decision to head back to his hometown of Melbourne, where Viduka's parents and sisters reside, will finally put to bed talk of a Socceroos return for the striker who scored 11 goals in 43 appearances for his country, 59 in 130 games for Leeds, 30 in 39 matches for Celtic, 26 in 72 for Middlesbrough and just seven in 38 for his final team, Newcastle United.

Kutner didn’t rule out Viduka, who began his career with Melbourne Knights in the old NSL, possibly playing again in Australia, adding: “What Mark decides to do when he gets back I’m not sure. He will have plenty of options, whether they are on the football field or elsewhere. He is certainly a loss to the Premier League.”

Viduka’s imminent arrival on home soil will have A-League teams on alert, particularly Mebourne Victory and city’s newcomers Melbourne Heart, who will enter the competition next year.

However, close friend Josip Skoko, currently with Hajduk Split, said last week that Viduka would be unlikely to be tempted to continue his career in the A-League.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/viduka-coming-back-home-233797

Would have loved to have seen Viduka up alongside Shearer; just out of curiosity tbh. It mightn't have worked, but given the genius of both of them - it maybe would have done, and maybe would have just worked an absolute treat. Say we had him in that 03/04 season, where Bellamy was injured for huge amounts of it. It was Shearer-Ameobi for the majority of that season, and we still finished fifth.

I'd have loved for us to have Viduka back in Bobby's era.

Was Shearer a genius out of curiosity? He was [skirge]fkn[/skirge] fantastic at what he did, and aye he was smart but wouldn't really call him a footballing genius.

Had quite a good footballing brain on him and his technique was brilliant to. Rarely did you ever see him miscontrol a ball. It's quite a common conception that Shearer's style was that of a target man. Yes it was in his later years, but before he lost his mobility he was brilliant at linking up play across the pitch.

Racouteur

Yes, I read that article but having coached Scotty McDonald as a raw kid at Frankston Pines many years ago, we have kept up our friendship over the years. Word has it that Verbeek has left the door open for Viduka and he is keen to play in the WC, a last hurrah, so to speak. The fact that Viduka's agent was spouting his name around clubs on a pay as you play basis supports this theory. Also, Ernie Merrick is keen to get him playing as a replacement for Allsopp.

Verbeeks options up front are extremely limited and we know that Scotty and Kennedy up front isnt the best options available. This is why a lot of national players have been on Viduka to come back because we are so lacking up front. With Cahill playing in behind Viduka, we are a lot more dangerous than other options in that area.

Would have loved to have seen Viduka up alongside Shearer; just out of curiosity tbh. It mightn't have worked, but given the genius of both of them - it maybe would have done, and maybe would have just worked an absolute treat. Say we had him in that 03/04 season, where Bellamy was injured for huge amounts of it. It was Shearer-Ameobi for the majority of that season, and we still finished fifth.

Was Shearer a genius out of curiosity? He was [skirge]fkn[/skirge] fantastic at what he did, and aye he was smart but wouldn't really call him a footballing genius.

Had quite a good footballing brain on him and his technique was brilliant to. Rarely did you ever see him miscontrol a ball. It's quite a common conception that Shearer's style was that of a target man. Yes it was in his later years, but before he lost his mobility he was brilliant at linking up play across the pitch.

The best example of the true Shearer for me was the 5-0, he'd control a fairly loose ball, pass it 25 yards diagonally then make a soaring run into the box, absolutely undefendable at his best, comfortably in Drogba's league

The best evidence of the true Shearer for me was the 5-0, he'd control a fairly loose ball, pass it 25 yards diagonally then make a soaring run into the box, absolutely undefendable at his best, comfortably in Drogba's league

Comfortably in Drogba's league. I've never heard him described as that before.

5-0 was arguebly his best game for us. That cross for Ferdinand was brilliant too.

aye, if we'd signed him instead of carl cort  :doh:

Racouteur

Yes, I read that article but having coached Scotty McDonald as a raw kid at Frankston Pines many years ago, we have kept up our friendship over the years. Word has it that Verbeek has left the door open for Viduka and he is keen to play in the WC, a last hurrah, so to speak. The fact that Viduka's agent was spouting his name around clubs on a pay as you play basis supports this theory. Also, Ernie Merrick is keen to get him playing as a replacement for Allsopp.

Verbeeks options up front are extremely limited and we know that Scotty and Kennedy up front isnt the best options available. This is why a lot of national players have been on Viduka to come back because we are so lacking up front. With Cahill playing in behind Viduka, we are a lot more dangerous than other options in that area.

Fair play that you're mates with Scotty Mac - and I was very excited when he was coming through because our lack of strikers after Viduka has been very worrying for a long time. Truth be told I hope Verbeek stays with the 4-2-3-1 formation with Kennedy up top and supported by Kewell-Cahill-Bresciano with Culina and Grella behind them.

And in that formation Viduka would be perfect, as all three attacking midfielders would run off him all day and score bags of goals. You're also right to say that Verbeek has always left the door open for the V-bomber. But if he really wanted to play, he would have by now. (In classic "ITK, friend of a friend" mode) I've heard that Viduka's heart just isn't in it - the idea of a "last hurrah" is far removed from what I've been told...

Rac

I agree with your system. Unfortunately for Scotty, It would mean he would spend more time on the bench. In fact, many people think his failure to score is affecting his confidence when in actual fact, he has told me that he is finding it difficult to cpoe with the system Verbeek uses which is so alien to how he lays at Celtic.

Still, he has a long way to go yet and I think he could, in time, be quite valuable.

As for Viduka, there are inconsistent stories coming out about him, it would seem. Time will tell.

Guest toonlass

Racouteur

Dunno if this is cos its an article about Viduka or what but I read that as Frankston Pies,  :laugh:

Frankston Pines is a football club in the Victorian Premier League here in Australia and along with the likes of Springvale City, have produced several quality players currently plying their trade in Europe, amongst them, Scott McDonald at Celtic and Vince Grella at Blackburn Rovers,.

Your attempts at comedy were pretty pathetic, to be honest.

Basically he has most likely only been offered pay as you play deals and he is unwilling to sign them because he wants to have the luxury of guaranteed money while bumming around the place due to one injury or the other.

Fat lazy pig tbh.

Frankston Pines is a football club in the Victorian Premier League here in Australia and along with the likes of Springvale City, have produced several quality players currently plying their trade in Europe, amongst them, Scott McDonald at Celtic and Vince Grella at Blackburn Rovers,.

Your attempts at comedy were pretty pathetic, to be honest.

People are a bit touchy round here today.

Shearer and Viduka would have lasted about 6 months on account of Viduka's lack of effort, Shearer wouldn't have stood for it for a second and he had all the influence.

Didn't Shearer praise Viduka for the exact opposite of that?

I remember seeing an interview from Shearer backend of last season where Shearer had assumed Viduka had been injured because he hardly featured under Kinnear, and was just waiting for his contract to run out, then after a face-to-face with him, Viduka said he was fit and raring to go, up for the fight and Shearer was impressed with him in training.

Shearer and Viduka would have lasted about 6 months on account of Viduka's lack of effort, Shearer wouldn't have stood for it for a second and he had all the influence.

Didn't Shearer praise Viduka for the exact opposite of that?

I remember seeing an interview from Shearer backend of last season where Shearer had assumed Viduka had been injured because he hardly featured under Kinnear, and was just waiting for his contract to run out, then after a face-to-face with him, Viduka said he was fit and raring to go, up for the fight and Shearer was impressed with him in training.

I meant as players together during Bobby's time tbh. Shearer needed legs and tenacity alongside him

Such an underachiever Viduka, speaks volumes about the extent to which tenacity plays a part.

He achieved enough. Very good at some points, but his limiations made it so he'd never be a top class player.

You could easily compare him with some of the best 10 players in the premiership (I can think of at least 2 at Chelsea) and say that Viduka had more natural talent for the game. The difference being, they've worked to get better and better. Viduka's natural talent easily outweights Shearer's for example, but Shearer was determined to make the absolute best of it by maintaing (and eventually adapting) fantastic physical condition. And of course, showing professionalism on and off the pitch.

Such an underachiever Viduka, speaks volumes about the extent to which tenacity plays a part.

He achieved enough. Very good at some points, but his limiations made it so he'd never be a top class player.

You could easily compare him with some of the best 10 players in the premiership (I can think of at least 2 at Chelsea) and say that Viduka had more natural talent for the game. The difference being, they've worked to get better and better. Viduka's natural talent easily outweights Shearer's for example, but Shearer was determined to make the absolute best of it by maintaing (and eventually adapting) fantastic physical condition. And of course, showing professionalism on and off the pitch.

Can you elaborate? That whole natural talent thing is rubbish I think personally. Physicality and determination are as much football skills as controling the ball imo.

In what way?

In what way?

Certainly his technique, superior touch, you could also argue his finishing was more clinical from an earlier age. And of course the obvious one, size.

In what way?

People only remember the battering ram Shearer they forget the Blackburn speedster & goals like he fired past Everton

Can you elaborate? That whole natural talent thing is rubbish I think personally. Physicality and determination are as much football skills as controling the ball imo.

spoken like a true African, no offense intended whatsoever