Newcastle United's real problem this season...

Guest Heneage

I reckon our main problem is focus, we dropped points to Man City at home in the last minutes, Stoke at home in the last minutes, we conceded 8 or 9 penalties throughout the season, we havnt scored enough and thats the reason we're going down. Only positive is we'll see what Ranger and Carrol are made of in the Championship.

Selling N'Zogbia and Milner, even though I wasn't a lover of either and not replacing them has been a big factor given how bad our midfield has been. Even Milner's versatility would have been useful.

Selling N'Zogbia and Milner, even though I wasn't a lover of either and not replacing them has been a big factor given how bad our midfield has been. Even Milner's versatility would have been useful.

I'm sure Keegan said he was toying with the idea of playing him in a central midfield role.

We clearly miss this type of player, however we have scored more goals this season than 7th place fulham so think there is more to it than just that

I mean take Fulham's midfielders yesterday, they had a great balance Murphy is no spring chicken and he's not exactly the quickest but he pulled the strings with his footballing brain and Etuhu? had the legs and work rate. Neither are particularly great players but they worked well and imagine what they thought when they saw who they were up against.

If you compare that pairing to ours... Butt, was supposed to be our Etuhu, who was the epitome of discipline and hard work he kept his head well, kept his position well and protected the back 4 at all times and most importantly did the simple things he didn't try an over zealous hollywood ball or dink it out the stadium he did what he was told. Butt however didn't, at one point Schwarzer was about to kick and Nicky Butt chased him and harried him but left a black hole right in the middle of the pitch. No wonder Murphy pulled all the strings, he had acres of space and time to spread it out to Convey or play it in to Nevland or play it behind for Kamara. I felt sorry for Nolan because he's obviously not the fittest but he basically had to cover 2 positions making it worse as he was fucked after 60 mins but again he was meant to be our Murphy, pulling all the strings and driving us forward but Etuhu always had him and Nolan didn't have the pace or nous to get away from him. It was sad to see really but it pains me even more to think what Murphy and Etuhu would have thought if they'd seen Barton and Guthrie on the team sheet or even Smith.

Not that I've been here or seen anything, but from what I hear the main problem has been injury and lack of cover: the first XI when fit is more than capable of retaining our PL status.

Lack of cover and the slowest centre midfield EVER.

Pat Butcher and Dot Cotton are quicker then Butt and Nolan.

FACT.

Aye, but Barton is no slouch, really, nor Alan Smith. But it seemed we have no one in the reserves capable of making the step up when they got crocked.

Lack of cover and the slowest centre midfield EVER.

Pat Butcher and Dot Cotton are quicker then Butt and Nolan.

FACT.

Aye, but Barton is no slouch, really, nor Alan Smith. But it seemed we have no one in the reserves capable of making the step up when they got crocked.

How long have you been away for man? Smith's legs have gone completely.

true! but come on, we have had 1000 problems this season!

to name a few:

Ashley´s spending policy

Keegan left, Kinnear in, Hughton in charge for too long

many injuries

owen as captain...i mean come on...he didn´t want to be here!

Dennis Wise - a lot of negative publicity

milner and given was sold!

and so on.....

All this in one season

Guest Ebolarama

true! but come on, we have had 1000 problems this season!

to name a few:

Ashley´s spending policy

Keegan left, Kinnear in, Hughton in charge for too long

many injuries

owen as captain...i mean come on...he didn´t want to be here!

Dennis Wise - a lot of negative publicity

milner and given was sold!

and so on.....

All this in one season

It all adds up to us deserving to go down.