First team squad for sale if we go down

TRon

Guest guinness_fiend

every player for sale doesn't necessarily mean we are looking to sell every player.

Shhhh... Talking sense will get you shot in here.

Guest guinness_fiend

Our bones will be picked dry, we will be left with a naked Shola Ameobi.

I honestly think that Shola is a seemingly unstoppable cyborg footballing assassin who has been sent back from the year 2029 by a race of artificially intelligent computer-controlled machines bent on the extermination of Newcastle United.  His mission was originally to kill Mrs Ranger, whose future son would eventually lead a resistance against the adversity facing the club, however he was caught short when Nile Ranger was born and is playing possum until a suitable opportunity arises to. 

Guest saintscoobz

with the exception of one or two i HOPE there will be a massive summer clearout.  If we stay up and dont get rid of most of these overpaid under-performing wankers in the summer we shall be in exactly the same position in a years time.

With the exception of Bassong, Beye & Guthrie would we really be that sorry to see them go?

Their inept performances are one of the main reasons we're in this position.

We could have substituted most of our midfielders for planks of wood for large portions of the season & no one would have noticed much of a difference.

I'd like to see Jose stay. That's about it from those who've actually played though.

There's renewed speculation about Bassong today who is definitely one of the players we would like to keep I would think. If we go down, will we fight to keep him like Birmingham did with Larsson or will we take the highest bid because he's got a year left on his contract? For me the answer will tell us a lot about our ambitions next season.

There's renewed speculation about Bassong today who is definitely one of the players we would like to keep I would think. If we go down, will we fight to keep him like Birmingham did with Larsson or will we take the highest bid because he's got a year left on his contract? For me the answer will tell us a lot about our ambitions next season.

If he doesn't want to be here then i'd rather we just sell him, for a decent fee n'all. The longer we're in the doldrums, the harder it will be to get out. And we'll need players who want to play for the club in order to do that.

If he wants to go - i can't blame him - but cheerio. :thup:

Guest neesy111

90% of the first team are dog shit and not good enough anycase, i've been saying it for 2 years now, we need a clearout

with the exception of one or two i HOPE there will be a massive summer clearout.  If we stay up and dont get rid of most of these overpaid under-performing wankers in the summer we shall be in exactly the same position in a years time.

I am with you on this one. Irrespective of what happens we need to get rid of the majority of the squad and start again with players that have a desire to play for the team. Try and keep Bassong, Beye, Guthrie. I can't see many others worth keeping.

Guest Roger Kint

I am with you on this one. Irrespective of what happens we need to get rid of the majority of the squad and start again with players that have a desire to play for the team. Try and keep Bassong, Beye, Guthrie. I can't see many others worth keeping.

Add Jose and S Taylor and i would happily wave goodbye to all the rest

Not that I rate too many of our players but it doesn't surprise me that Ashley will look to cut costs rather than invest to try and get back up. You'd think the fat c*** would have learned his lesson by now.

Everyone will be available for the right price. Especially if they have high wages. NSS.

Every player at every club is available at the right price.

i would like to see most of them moved out over the summer. then we can move forward as a club.

he would need to cut costs first , which will then  give the club some room to invest.

Michael Owen

Claudio Cacapa

Joey Barton

Mark Viduka

Fabricio Coloccini

Obafemi Martins

Damien Duff

Ignacio Gonzalez

Alan Smith

Geremi

That would be enough to save the money they're talking about.  About four or five first team players, most of which will be leaving wether we go down or stay up, big fucking woop :lol:

Also where on earth do the Journal get the info that we spent £18 million on Coloccini and Jonas? :nope:  Coloccini was just over £9 million with incentives possibly taking the final fee to £10.4 million (we'll never pay the incentives if we go down and he's gone anyway) and Jonas ended up costing us £5 million.

A fire sale would simply have to happen. There's no point in complaining about it. Our wage bill is unsustainable in the Premiership, never mind in the Fizzy Pop league. And there aren't that many players I'd cry about losing.

The real test would come in how intelligently we rebuild.

Exactly, you just can't have a £70 million wage bill in the Championship, its crazy enough in the Premiership considering were we've been in the league in recent years.  But to even consider having that kind of bill in the Championship is crazy beyond words.

Exactly, you just can't have a £70 million wage bill in the Championship, its crazy enough in the Premiership considering were we've been in the league in recent years.  But to even consider having that kind of bill in the Championship is crazy beyond words.

I was about to argue that it would be common sense to keep our best players (no matter how much wages they are on) on the assumption that we are not going to become "a Championship Club" at all, but will simply be a Premier League club, down there for one season only, and would need those 'best' players to get straight back up.

Then I realised, for a variety of reasons (eg - getting old and/or never were any good, etc) - we don't really HAVE any 'best players' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we don't have many good players, on current form.  But I'd say our best players are the ones on lower wages, players we should have a decent chance of keeping if we went down and players we certainly shouldn't need to sell.

A fire sale would simply have to happen. There's no point in complaining about it. Our wage bill is unsustainable in the Premiership, never mind in the Fizzy Pop league. And there aren't that many players I'd cry about losing.

I wonder if we'll buy players to get us up like Nolan for example, or go for younger players who will improve? If it's the former we'll need to re-build again assuming we get promoted, as it's clear the Prem is too quick for a lot of our shot to shit players. Ironically they'll probably prove more effective in a lower division where they belong.

Well we don't have many good players, on current form.  But I'd say our best players are the ones on lower wages, players we should have a decent chance of keeping if we went down and players we certainly shouldn't need to sell.

You know, that is the amazing thing.  The club has spent years and years investing in players, and surely intending that every acquisition was an improvement on previously . . . yet look at the end product of all that study, effort, thought, time and money!

Then, all this season, I was kind of thinking that our end-product of all that effort (our current crop of players) were somehow "underperforming".  It MUST have been that. Caused by the Ashley/Keegan fiasco, or whatever . . .

So (logically) when it came to the crunch towards the end of the season when these underperforming 'superstars' (built up over all these seasons of buying/selling transactions) simply HAD to play to stay up  -  then they would be able to do so . . . and WOULD do so.

I was wrong, plain wrong, just totally wrong.

They have NOT been 'underperforming' (for whatever reason) . . . all of the clubs time and effort and money over all these seasons has produced a 'net' collection of players who are simply performing to their CORRECT standards.

They are just not good enough, there is no "underperformance" at all.

INCOMPETENCE, at the highest level, for years and years and years, has produced this, despite the 5th highest amount of money coming in (in the UK) for 15 years or more AND despite (for most of the time) the 2nd highest crowds in the UK.

IMPOSSIBLE / INCOMPETENCE.  

We have most of the same players who ended last season with 15 points from our last 9 games.  I'd say we certainly have unperforming players, as well as some that aren't good enough regardless of form.

We have most of the same players who ended last season with 16 points from 8 games.  I'd say we certainly have unperforming players, as well as some that aren't good enough regardless of form.

Perhaps (maybe) we had some then, but 12 months on (based on my analysis above) it seems NOT.

The difference is back then the players we had that were underperforming stood up to be counted when they absolutely had too, this time they haven't.  Just look at the team that beat Fulham, Reading, Spuds and Mackems last year in that last 9 game period:

Harper

Beye

Taylor

Faye

Jose Enrique

Barton

Butt

Geremi

Owen

Viduka

Martins

We've got just about all those players now, other then Faye being replaced by Bassong all of them are in the squad.

Guest Magpiecn

Yes,i agree .That's what I'll worry after the clearout.

You could argue Keegan had them overperforming, considering how they played under Allardyce/Kinnear/Hughton/Shearer so far.

They're just shit man, nearly all living off form from years ago.