Our Youth Players Next Season

Skirge

Viduka, Owen and Martins will be off, so there should be opportunities for Ranger. He has the raw athletic qualities of strength and speed, so it's really just a matter of how quickly he acquires the know-how that a striker needs. It's what's between his ears that will decide where he ends up, because I reckon his potential is international class.

Lua Lua would probably have been given more chances already, but I don't think successive managers have wanted to risk throwing him into a struggling side. I hope he's used a lot more.

The other promising youngster who I think is a bit further behind in the queue is Tavernier.

I've seen the video of the play off semi final, Sunderland had 3 or 4 who impressed a lot and most seemed as though they would make a decent living from football at one level or another. 

I haven't seen the Newcastle youngsters play so I can't offer a view.  I would agree though that the Academy process isn't all about winning leagues, it's about getting the players to progress to the next level.

So, given that you haven't seen the Newcastle youth teams basically what you're saying is that you've no idea as to whether we'll be in a better position than Sunderland to promote kids into the first team squad?

To be honest, playing well at academy level will not guarantee a youngster's future.  Most of the time they perform well is due to their well-trained technique and tactics rather than physical strengths.

However, especially for EPL, they can only able to perform well after promoted if they have the physical strength to make the cut.

Just like Carroll, technically he's s**** but his aerial ability was proven effective against any team in England.  In contrast Chopra, a prolific striker for U-18 and reserves, was unable to make a breakthrough due to his lack of presence or pace.

As such even though our lads aren't beating the Scums and other youth teams, they could still have a better future if they got the physical talent.  Techniques can be trained both on and off the match, and it's relatively easy to pick it up.

I know that Krul, Kadar and Vukcic could make it.  I am not sure about the others though.  Kazenga could be a handy winger, but I am not so sure about Inman, Taverneir and Ranger.  Anyone who has a close look to these lads may give comments about their physical abilities.  That would be a good reference.

Think we will see alot of them being given a chance, but they need to be merged into a first team rather than thrown straight into the deep end.

Did anyone pay much attention to how Lua Lua did at this level with Doncaster? I had heard the Guthrie was brilliant for Southampton as well. Unfortunatly Shola was shite for Stoke. I really think he would be terrible in the Championship.

I've seen the video of the play off semi final, Sunderland had 3 or 4 who impressed a lot and most seemed as though they would make a decent living from football at one level or another. 

I haven't seen the Newcastle youngsters play so I can't offer a view.  I would agree though that the Academy process isn't all about winning leagues, it's about getting the players to progress to the next level.

So, given that you haven't seen the Newcastle youth teams basically what you're saying is that you've no idea as to whether we'll be in a better position than Sunderland to promote kids into the first team squad?

No, but the Sunderland Academy kids were sufficiently collectively better to come top by a significant margin.  The main point is that if Newcastle are going to speedily return to the Premier League, it will be more likely with talented players experienced at the Championship level rather than youngsters, no matter how promising, who are still learning thier trade (in my humble opinion).

Think we will see alot of them being given a chance, but they need to be merged into a first team rather than thrown straight into the deep end.

Did anyone pay much attention to how Lua Lua did at this level with Doncaster? I had heard the Guthrie was brilliant for Southampton as well. Unfortunatly Shola was shite for Stoke. I really think he would be terrible in the Championship.

I looked on one of their forums when he came back and opinion was mixed between promising and meh.

Carroll didn't pull up any trees at this level either.

No, but the Sunderland Academy kids were sufficiently collectively better to come top by a significant margin.  The main point is that if Newcastle are going to speedily return to the Premier League, it will be more likely with talented players experienced at the Championship level rather than youngsters, no matter how promising, who are still learning thier trade (in my humble opinion).

I wonder where we will find those talented players with experience seeing as we couldn't attract them in January when we could offer them a Premiership place?

Did anyone pay much attention to how Lua Lua did at this level with Doncaster? I had heard the Guthrie was brilliant for Southampton as well. Unfortunatly Shola was s**** for Stoke. I really think he would be terrible in the Championship.

I looked on one of their forums when he came back and opinion was mixed between promising and meh.

Carroll didn't pull up any trees at this level either.

Yeah, I remember Carroll have a pretty poor time of it, but he was quite young when he went to Preston and was acting like a prick from what I remember. Hopefully he's matured a bit. We really need to sign an experienced Championship striker who will do a job for us and get us 15-20 goals at least over the 46 games.

It will be high time to give some players a chance, but none of them should be in the first team in anything more than cameo capacity other than Carroll and Lua Lua, maybe Kadar at a push.

I just pray Mike Ashley doesn't think that relying on our "soopa youth team" is a good plan for the Championship. Thinking that kids could suddenly be capable of doing a job just because we're a division lower is a sure-fire plan for disaster.

I wonder where we will find those talented players with experience seeing as we couldn't attract them in January when we could offer them a Premiership place?

I would have thought it is totally different now.  Ashley is a far wiser man now than he was then, Newcastle were a good sized fish in the Premier League pool and now are a very large fish is a Championship pool.  I would have no doubts Newcastle could attract the players needed to get them out of the Championship, transfer funds permitting.  My one reservation is whether it will be possible to get the influx of a lot of new players to gel into a team quickly enough to get promotion next season.  Personally, I doubt it, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.