ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

Guest afternoonfix

Its a pity, they did try to take on Sky , and they covered more Toon games than anyone else.

Safe to cancel the direct debit then?

Actually you cannot actually subscribe to them anymore - the subs page is blank -

https://secure.setantasubscriptions.com/

If im already with them will the payments stop then? Ive got one coming up on the 26th, havent used the damn thing in ages. If I cancel the DD I expect them to be hounding me out to sort it but I assume that wont be a problem now?

I best get looking for a new job then  :frantic:

100s of jobs going in my local area, very bad times.

Although I expect someone else to move into the call centre and most of them to get work out of it again.

Very bad news for the Blue Square premier teams. The one thing I thought Setanta did do really well was cover the non-league games,  and give a lot of airtime,  exposure and extra money their way.  Hope it doesn't mean any of those smaller clubs go under :\

ESPN

Like I said in an earlier post, it's good that an amatuer network and an overpriced one aswell (unless your on Virgin) is going, but it's bad for the clubs, especially the small ones and also the people who work for them.

I best get looking for a new job then  :frantic:

100s of jobs going in my local area, very bad times.

Although I expect someone else to move into the call centre and most of them to get work out of it again.

Pity he's one of the presenters.

You have to be spectacularly stupid to think this is good for football.

Agreed, especially for the Blue Square Premier clubs as someone mentioned a few posts ago. I don't known the numbers but I'd imagine a few at least will be relying on the Setanta money.

good for the soul of football though

In what way does a monopoly provider and majority funder of football clubs improve things?

In what way does a monopoly provider and majority funder of football clubs improve things?

it's another sign of the money madness coming to a close.

By making sure that nobody else gets a fucking look in.

It's a tried and tested recipe which has worked wonders for the free press in the UK over the past 25 years. Why change a winning formula?

:dontknow:

Agreed, especially for the Blue Square Premier clubs as someone mentioned a few posts ago. I don't known the numbers but I'd imagine a few at least will be relying on the Setanta money.

Indeed.  I live in Stevenage (dont spit at me),  and support the club pretty closely.  We're probably one of the very few lucky ones who can survive through it,  due to winning the FA Trophy at the end of the season at Wembley, and all the revenue that goes with it.  I think both Cambridge and Oxford in particular - big clubs with a good football league background are already losing hundreds of thousands of pounds per season down in the conference,  and god only knows how much needed the setanta cash that each club gets is worth to them.  Could be a scary few weeks/months.  Timing is terrible too,  3 weeks before most clubs start preseason,  if you go into adminstration now,  you're gonna be fucked for the season before it starts.

And it doesn't matter if it takes a load of clubs with it?

Nah. Survival of the fittest. Fuck 'em.

I thought Oxford went up via the playoffs? Or was that Torquay, I always confuse those two.

Torquay that was.  Oxford spectacularly blew their play off chances by losing at home to an already relegated Northwich on the last day :lol:

if it does it could well be argued it was going to happen anyway, take a look around.