ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

Why is Setanta going under anyway? I've not read up on it.

Simply not enough subscribers?

Pretty much.  The fact they lost one of the packages for the following season next year was the tip of it all,  it seems.

I heard Virgin may bid for the remaining rights, meaning everyone will leave Sky to go to Virgin and Sky will go down the pan within a few years.

Jesus that must be some seriously strong shit you're smoking there.  :lol:

Guest toonlass

I heard Virgin may bid for the remaining rights, meaning everyone will leave Sky to go to Virgin and Sky will go down the pan within a few years.

You are bollocking me, we can't even get virgin where we are at the minute (13 miles outside of newcastle town centre). There is no way Virgin can take over anything

Its a pity, they did try to take on Sky , and they covered more Toon games than anyone else.

Thats why they are fucked mate

Anyone would think we were jinxed.

You are bollocking me, we can't even get virgin where we are at the minute (13 miles outside of newcastle town centre). There is no way Virgin can take over anything

I'm not bollocking you! How the hell did you come to the conclusion that I was bollocking you? :frantic:

why would everyone leave virgin to go to sky ?

Guest toonlass

I'm not bollocking you! How the hell did you come to the conclusion that I was bollocking you? :frantic:

I thought you had got your monkey out!!!!!!!!!!

Losing digital recently i've been forced to watch Setanta Sports News on some occassions. Last time i watched it was when the cretins were reading out the story about the fan being shot in Kazakhstan, and started chuckling at something off-stage whilst reading it. Just totally, totally unprofessional - like the majority of everything Setanta. Obviously, which story it was is irrelevant, but of all the reports to do it in. :rolleyes:

Sky will go down the pan because Virgin would have a 1/5 of the Premiership rights that Sky have? :lol:

You have to be spectacularly stupid to think this is good for football.

good for the soul of football though

In what way does a monopoly provider and majority funder of football clubs improve things?

it's another sign of the money madness coming to a close.

And it doesn't matter if it takes a load of clubs with it?

if it does it could well be argued it was going to happen anyway, take a look around.

Gibberish. If the banks had lent it money, it would have survived to fight another day and make the adjustments needed.

The demand to watch will always be there.

In what way does a monopoly provider and majority funder of football clubs improve things?

if it does it could well be argued it was going to happen anyway, take a look around.

Gibberish. If the banks had lent it money, it would have survived to fight another day and make the adjustments needed.

the demand to watch may always be there but not at the prices it was reaching...hence why setanta couldn't pick up the ammount of subscribers necessary to avoid going tits up.

the demand to watch may always be there but not at the prices it was reaching...hence why setanta couldn't pick upo the ammount of subscribers necessary to avoid going tits up.

Because Sky and Virgin fucked it over. The prices paid to the carrier of the signal was too high for it to compete.

Presumably the credit crunch has assisted their downfall? Setanta cost too much before lots of people started having to cut back. £12.99 per month for some of Premier League games and a bunch of other niche channels would be one of the first things to go.

Guest toonlass

the demand to watch may always be there but not at the prices it was reaching...hence why setanta couldn't pick up the ammount of subscribers necessary to avoid going tits up.

Absolutely. That is why I cancelled last year, if I want to be preached at for a high price I can always go to the local Kingdom Hall. The commentary was horrific.

Their are rumours flying around that Rangers, yes Rangers could be one of the 3 SPL teams to be under threat of going under if Setanta goes.

Now THAT'S some good news, right Toonlass?

Guest toonlass

Their are rumours flying around that Rangers, yes Rangers could be one of the 3 SPL teams to be under threat of going under if Setanta goes.

That is shite. Rangers will not go under

There were stories around back in January that they needed to offload players to balance the books.  Even with their SPL win they won't have pocketed too much more money and the potential loss of TV revenue could fuck them over.

It wouldn't have too much of an effect on them though, they still have a huge, fanatical fanbase and Champion's League football so even if they were to go under they would likely find a buyer.

That is s****. Rangers will not go under

I hope not, I prefer them to Celtic.

There were stories around back in January that they needed to offload players to balance the books.  Even with their SPL win they won't have pocketed too much more money and the potential loss of TV revenue could f*** them over.

It wouldn't have too much of an effect on them though, they still have a huge, fanatical fanbase and Champion's League football so even if they were to go under they would likely find a buyer.

Thats what I think, their too good of a team not to be bought, sort of reminds me of another team, can't for the life of me wounder who though. :undecided:

That is shite. Rangers will not go under

Unlike their fans, Rangers will not go down easily....

Eh, Toonlass? ;)

Guest toonlass

There were stories around back in January that they needed to offload players to balance the books.  Even with their SPL win they won't have pocketed too much more money and the potential loss of TV revenue could fuck them over.

It won't happen, its more likely than Man United will go under before Rangers. We (as in the Rangers we) are still owned by Sir David Murray. We will not go under