Selling players without a manager?

Dave

I said this would happen. Shearer's away, he cannot be blamed from his side, and from their side there's no one there to stop them doing more wrongs against the club.

Shearer should never have went on Holiday, simple as.

:lol:

What could he do to stop them anyway? He's not employed by them.

He could still be around the club, in talks demanding who's not to be sold, and who needs to go, whether he's manager or not he knows what needs doing, they don't. His advice over the past few weeks now means nothing as out of mind out of site, they did the same with Keegan, again, another one i was right about when everyone thought everything was hunky dory.

What talks? He can't just be expected to ring them up as a fan (which at the moment is all he is) and say 'Oh no! You can't sell Bassong!' and expect to have any influence.

Keegan was the manager, that's totally different.

I said this would happen. Shearer's away, he cannot be blamed from his side, and from their side there's no one there to stop them doing more wrongs against the club.

Little harsh on Shearer. He's got no input. Ashley has blatantly cut him loose!

If Bassong moves for £5m to Sunderland or a deal equally as s**** when Shearer is on holiday, Shearer himself whether he becomes boss will kick himself as being potentially the only person to stick up for the club and he's gone away.

You seem to think that Shearer has the run of St James's park. Who says he can get past security?

If Bassong moves for £5m to Sunderland or a deal equally as s**** when Shearer is on holiday, Shearer himself whether he becomes boss will kick himself as being potentially the only person to stick up for the club and he's gone away.

You seem to think that Shearer has the run of St James's park. Who says he can get past security?

Shearer is meant to be back from Portugal today so I don't think a long weekend away is going to do much harm.

A mass squad exodus is inevitable imo, so i wouldn't have too many problems with it. It needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly because we need funds for a new squad. I can understand the negatives and the potential drama this could cause (doing it without a manager's input)... but look at it from a different direction. If Shearer was appointed now, he's got no money to work with. But if we start offloading the shit now, and we've made £20m from player sales by the time Shearer comes in - he's free to get cracking.

We're going to lose a lot of players regardless. The only real danger of it is losing the wrong players.

Shearer is meant to be back from Portugal today so I don't think a long weekend away is going to do much harm.

I hope that's all it is, and i hope he's straight back in there finding out what's going on and still showing the club direction since Ashley has abandoned us.

If not all the horrible things were all frightened of happening will come true, if we don't have someone fighting our corner during all this were going to be living a very real nightmare for the next several seasons, more so than we've had already.

The danger is that we sell off our high earners and one or two of our other attractive players but don't leave the manager enough time to replace them.

I don't think anything should be done until a manager is in place because he will need time to assess what/who is needed to plug the gaps in the squad.

That said, if the instructions are to sell Barton, Collicini, Butt, Duff and Geremi then I wouldn't be too worried. We need them off the wage bill and they're unlikely to represent major losses to the quality of the team anyway. Unfortunately, knowing Mike (clueless) Ashley as we do, he's more likely said everyone is up for sale in which case we'll lose players like Bassong, Taylor, Carroll, Ranger, Beye, Enrique before any of the shite gets snapped up.

A mass squad exodus is inevitable imo, so i wouldn't have too many problems with it. It needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly because we need funds for a new squad. I can understand the negatives and the potential drama this could cause (doing it without a manager's input)... but look at it from a different direction. If Shearer was appointed now, he's got no money to work with. But if we start offloading the shit now, and we've made £20m from player sales by the time Shearer comes in - he's free to get cracking.

We're going to lose a lot of players regardless. The only real danger of it is losing the wrong players.

I'm not saying it's not inevitable, I just find it really unsettling that they're willing to decimate the squad without a manager so much as overseeing it. It's like they've learnt absolutely nothing from what went on before.

We'll just have to hope that whoever values the players and decides whether a particular bid is acceptable has a clue.

Well if Ashley has learnt anything he'll pick someone with knowledge of the city.

Jimmy Nail, then.

not so worried about us selling players now! shearer (manager or not) have talked with ashley about who he wants or the club should hang on to!

many players have to leave...some are too good for the championship and others are on high wages! good to start early for the next season!

Actually everybody should be for sale. Only players i think we should do extra to keep is: S. Taylor, Beye, Bassong. There are others i wouldn´t mind we kept....for example jonas, enrique but dont think its possible!

Problem is we dont have a manager to buy new players! A take over must happen ASAP.....if it will take month or longer it will do the club no good!

Please sell soon!

Guest toonlass

HTL & NE5 were right. Think this is as bad as it gets? It's barely started.

You take that back!

Those are aexactly the players we will lose though. It's the likes of Bassong and Enrique who will attract bids, and without a manager to put his foot down, Ashley will bank the cash the first chance he gets.

Apparently the cretinous blob is losing 200 grand a day on paying the wages (Good!) so you would think he'd want to get the ball moving as soon as possible. Especially considering how damn mean he is.

Guest helios_centric

I don't see how we can pay anyone £50k a week in the Championship, so for me the issue of selling them is a requirement regardless of whether we have a manager or not.

The problem is that the bids will flow for our better players and as we all know, that is not linked to earnings at all! Some of our shittest players earn the most money. Without a manager there is nobody to form a plan of which players we need to keep for next season. We're a rudderless vessel right now and we could end up selling our best players and being saddled with the huge earners until their contracts run out - will anyone really buy Geremi, Smith, Barton, Nolan, Duff, Xisco etc? Perhaps, but you can put your mortgage on someone bidding for Bassong, Martins, Enrique and Beye I reckon.

I don't think anyone who knows a thing about football would have a problem seeing straight through Ashley's cunning plan - we are going to struggle to field a proper team next season in my opinion. A mix of kids and dross that we can't get off the books.

Those are aexactly the players we will lose though. It's the likes of Bassong and Enrique who will attract bids, and without a manager to put his foot down, Ashley will bank the cash the first chance he gets.

I think we're kinda compelled to lose the likes of them tbh. Regardless of the frame of mind they're in at the moment, as soon as a few big clubs start sniffing around they'll want to go... and even though it's wretched that we're bound to lose our genuinely quality players - i'd rather have another season without a squad littered with unhappy players with their eyes set on leaving in the near future.

It's the likes of Harper, Krul, Guthrie, Taylor, Beye (maybe), Carroll, Lovenkrands that i'd be most annoyed about leaving - players who will have both the desire to get back up, aswell as having a touch of quality in that league.

Another thing that makes me kinda indifferent towards such a policy is the crippling wage bill we've got on the go at the moment. The urgency of needing to get these fat cats off the bill is pretty striking. We're still paying them and as of now we can't afford them. Need them outta here asap.

I think we're kinda compelled to lose the likes of them tbh. Regardless of the frame of mind they're in at the moment, as soon as a few big clubs start sniffing around they'll want to go... and even though it's wretched that we're bound to lose our genuinely quality players - i'd rather have another season without a squad littered with unhappy players with their eyes set on leaving in the near future.

It's the likes of Harper, Krul, Guthrie, Taylor, Beye (maybe), Carroll, Lovenkrands that i'd be most annoyed about leaving - players who will have both the desire to get back up, aswell as having a touch of quality in that league.

Another thing that makes me kinda indifferent towards such a policy is the crippling wage bill we've got on the go at the moment. The urgency of needing to get these fat cats off the bill is pretty striking. We're still paying them and as of now we can't afford them. Need them outta here asap.

The only good thing about having such a shite team is that it doesn't really hurt if we lose most of them. Bit of a grim upside but these are the times we live in.