The England Thread

Pilko

I'm quite looking forward to this game now. Not just for Carroll, but because we'll be blooding other youngsters too. I'm so bored with the usual England suspects.

This kind of friendly -- nothing riding on it but pride, and at least versus a major footballing power -- is definitely the right kind of game for bringing players through. The win-at-all-costs imperative in qualifiers by contrast usually dictates a conservative selection policy, and there's not much sense of occasion in an away game against Ruritania.

Pity ben ben ben Arfa can't appear for the other lot.

going by opta stats this should be the english team and subs

(4-4-2): Ben Foster (77 points); Luke Young (54), John Terry (72), Rio Ferdinand (59), Ashley Cole (68); Marc Albrighton (72), Steven Gerrard (75), Kevin Nolan (66), James Milner (64); Andy Carroll (74), Danny Welbeck (64). Substitutes: Joe Hart (76), Micah Richards (53), Phil Jagielka (58), Gary Cahill (58), Leighton Baines (66), Joey Barton (63), Paul Scholes (65), Scott Parker (65), Stewart Downing (62), Darren Bent (64), Luke Varney (57

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/nov/16/england-fabio-capello-opta-analysis?

Going off the Sun, it'll be something like:

Hart

Richards  Ferdinand  Lescott  Gibbs

Walcott  Henderson  Barry    Milner

Gerrard

Carroll

The way Capello was talking today (yesterday), he honestly sees Barry as one of the key, experienced players in not only the squad, but the first XI.

:no:

Edit: the sooner Rodwell gets a run of games together and can displace Gareth fucking Barry in the midfield, the better. The future's bright, the future's Rodshire. Of course, this will never happen for the foreseeable future.

Going off the Sun, it'll be something like:

Hart

Richards Ferdinand Lescott Gibbs

Walcott Henderson Barry Milner

Gerrard

Carroll

WTF no proper widemen or creativity to definitely not use Carroll to his strengths. Should be Johnson and Young on the wings. Fuck off Italian managers who love workrate over good football and Gareth Barry despite him being shite to average.

Honestly I don't know whether I have my black and white tinted specs on, which I probably do, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is about Henderson. Whenever the mackems have played well it seems to be Cattermole that dominates the midfield. He isn't box to box, doesn't look particularly good in the tackle, he isn't creative, and he doesn't score goals regularly. He just seems have a decent passing range and runs about a lot. Obviously he isn't a finished article but still.

Honestly I don't know whether I have my black and white tinted specs on, which I probably do, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is about Henderson. Whenever the mackems have played well it seems to be Cattermole that dominates the midfield. He isn't box to box, doesn't look particularly good in the tackle, he isn't creative, and he doesn't score goals regularly. He just seems have a decent passing range and runs about a lot. Obviously he isn't a finished article but still.

This.

Carroll stealing all the headlines.

Aye, just looking on some French websites about the game, and a lot of "Carroll starts for England", etc. Little mention of Henderson. :lol:

It's because Henderson is shit and play for an internationally non-famous team. O0

Aye, just looking on some French websites about the game, and a lot of "Carroll starts for England", etc. Little mention of Henderson. :lol:

Same in Sweden. Since Sunday, there's been three articles on Carroll, think Henderson might have been mentioned in one.

Same in Sweden. Since Sunday, there's been three articles on Carroll, think Henderson might have been mentioned in one.

Carroll all over here as well. Don't think Henderson's been mentioned in any other sense than when they were posting the entire squad.

Two teams from the world cup which had the huffiest players.  Great.

are they all going to stroll round the pitch in a sulk.

But how many of the players were in the WC squads? Cannot imagine it's very many.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

First time in ages I'm interested in an England match. Think its purely down to it having fresh faces, and one or two from the North-East. If only they'd move away from Wembley!

There has to be that feeling of having your No.9 - your born-and-bred local No.9 - starting up front for England which significantly contributes to the interest.

As for whether he should be playing; if we had a striker who we were reliant on and there was speculation he was carrying a knock, sure, I'd be anxious about him aggravating any such knock but it's his debut man. You can't deny him tonight.

I'd be surprised if he gets more than 45 minutes like.