The England Thread

Pilko

Bent is a great goalscorer.

Goalscorers are pointless at international level because they dont participate in the build up and you just get outmatched in midfield.

Not all goalscorers but the one likes Bent and Hernandez are pointless.

I'd go with

Hart

Richards Smalling Jones Cole

Wilshere Parker Cleverly

Sturridge Rooney Ox

Form and fitness permitting ofcourse, btw dont rate Cahill and Cole will be very difficult to replace long term; quite frankly dont see anyone ready to step into his rather large shoes.

BTW Jones hasnt impressed me that much either but i dont rate anyone below Smalling and Jones, the quality of CB's are poor imo.

He's not even a great goalscorer. Misses loads of chances and needs pens to boost himself up to the 15 goal mark every season.

England have had plenty of great goalscorers over the years who have struggled to forge careers at international level, the fact somebody as poor as Bent is a shoe in for squads is awful.

Wolves v West Brom (1330 GMT)

This is an interesting one - Wolves had a good result last week at long last when they beat QPR, while West Brom seem to pick up the majority of their points on the road.

Wolves had to wait a long time to return to winning ways in the Premier League and maybe the ball will start to run for them a little bit now. They have had some bad news that Emmanuel Frimpong is out for so long with a knee ligament injury but I think having Kevin Doyle back scoring goals is very important for their survival.

The thing with Wolves boss Mick Mcarthy last week was that he gambled. When he made his substitution to bring Doyle on at half-time against QPR, it was an attacking change and it gave them more of a cutting edge. Maybe he will be thinking about doing that more often now.

It is going to be Wolves' home form that keeps them up and this is definitely a home game they would look at as a must-win.

Prediction: 2-0

:lol:

Guest kingdawson

Bent is a great goalscorer.

Goalscorers are pointless at international level because they dont participate in the build up and you just get outmatched in midfield.

Not all goalscorers but the one likes Bent and Hernandez are pointless.

I'd go with

Hart

Richards Smalling Jones Cole

Wilshere Parker Cleverly

Sturridge Rooney Ox

Form and fitness permitting ofcourse, btw dont rate Cahill and Cole will be very difficult to replace long term; quite frankly dont see anyone ready to step into his rather large shoes.

BTW Jones hasnt impressed me that much either but i dont rate anyone below Smalling and Jones, the quality of CB's are poor imo.

That's a nice team.

I may be seeing something no one else has but I've think Jones has been bloody brilliant when at centre back this season for Man Utd

yes I think your on your own there because whenever I've seen him he's been a big liability at cb for Man U

Jones has been, at best, average at CB this season. He's still young though so has plenty of time to learn and develop.

Smalling has been somewhat better but he's also far from the finished article. I'm pretty sure that in the future, the first choice CB partnership for England will be Jones-Smalling but think the Euros will be too soon for them (I reckon the time to implement such a partnership should be after the Euros actually).

Having said that, doesn't look like we have many options at CB. Perhaps give the likes of Dawson, King (unlikely due to his knee), Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka runouts? :undecided:

Jones has been, at best, average at CB this season. He's still young though so has plenty of time to learn and develop.

Smalling has been somewhat better but he's also far from the finished article. I'm pretty sure that in the future, the first choice CB partnership for England will be Jones-Smalling but think the Euros will be too soon for them (I reckon the time to implement such a partnership should be after the Euros actually).

Having said that, doesn't look like we have many options at CB. Perhaps give the likes of Dawson, King (unlikely due to his knee), Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka runouts? :undecided:

I probably agree, my post was mainly seen as the long term but not necessarily on just the Euros but having said that Cole would'nt be there but quite frankly i cant think of any LB......

Infact id put Cole in a wheelchair over the likes of Baines and Gibbs, hoping for the countries sake that someone comes along and proves the likes of me wrong......

As the Euro's go i question who from that team would be ready..... Jones and Smalling are not ready imo and neither is Ox as great as he's done so far i question whether he's ready for the very top level.....

Obviously there are question marks of Wilshere and Cleverly's fitness.

I personally would right off the Euro's totally, and just build for 2014 and beyond.

I probably agree, my post was mainly seen as the long term but not necessarily on just the Euros but having said that Cole would'nt be there but quite frankly i cant think of any LB......

Infact id put Cole in a wheelchair over the likes of Baines and Gibbs, hoping for the countries sake that someone comes along and proves the likes of me wrong......

As the Euro's go i question who from that team would be ready..... Jones and Smalling are not ready imo and neither is Ox as great as he's done so far i question whether he's ready for the very top level.....

Obviously there are question marks of Wilshere and Cleverly's fitness.

I personally would right off the Euro's totally, and just build for 2014 and beyond.

I'd definitely have Cole at LB for the Euros and beyond too. Not only is he England's best option for LB these days, he has also been England's most consistent performer for the last 10 years or so (still a c*** though). The likes of Baines and others are decent enough backups but they're simply up to Cole's level (yet).

If Oxlade-Chamberlain continues to perform well for Arsenal (he has looked really promising from what I've seen), can definitely see him being picked for this summer's squad. Might even have a chance of starting imo, could even take Walcott's place - Theo's career/development has somewhat stalled. Hmmm.

Mind you, I'm foolishly holding out hope that all is not lost with the Euros for us this summer :laugh:

Btw, I do like the look of your long-term line up.

Johnson is good but extremely inconsistent for my liking, id rather put my trust in Ox long term as i think he has the capability to be more consistent and IMO more talented.....

He will definitely be around the squad but starter in 2 years time? unless he leaves City iam not seeing it.

I like Messi's team and its more realistic for the Euro's than my team is  :laugh:

BTW speaking about Johnson, another Johnson ( Glen) has impressed me greatly recently and not just at RB either at LB aswell maybe he's the answer to Cole long term.

Never thought id say that even 6 months ago.

Hart

Johnson Smalling Jones Cole

Wilshere Barry Gerrard

Young Rooney

Welbeck

Really unsure who to go for as CB, so chose a club combination that's an investment into the future.

Young Oxy to make the squad, and possibly the team because I doubt that Wilshere will be ready.

Rooney

Johnson          Sturridge

Wilshere Gerrard

Parker

Cole Jones Lescott Richards

Hart

Is what i tihnk England should go for.

Spot on that.

Just read that on bbc. Think he's spot on with that.

From Joshua Cardiff: "Harry has taken this Spurs team as far as they can go, players will leave at the end of the season, Adebayor will return to City. This is the perfect time to quit and a win-win situation to become England manager, bomb out of the Euros, claim there wasnt enough time, win it and return as a god."

Rooney

Wilshere Gerrard

Parker

Hart

Spot on that.

Looks good for this summer's Euros :thup:

Rooney

Wilshere Gerrard

Parker

Hart

Spot on that.

Smalling should be the first defender on there.