The England Thread

Pilko

Sigh. It's a clear sign of regression in our national team that Scott Parker is even in the side let alone being made Captain.

I'm not so sure, you can't always be planning for the future. If Scott Parker helps us progress in Euro 2012, which he might do, I'm all for it. As well as involving younger players obviously.

Sigh. It's a clear sign of regression in our national team that Scott Parker is even in the side let alone being made Captain.

I'm not so sure, you can't always be planning for the future. If Scott Parker helps us progress in Euro 2012, which he might do, I'm all for it. As well as involving younger players obviously.

Who mentioned planning for the future? I've rarely seen an England side as poor as the one now, and the fact that Scott Parker is the Captain of it,speaks volumes for me..it reminds me of when Graham Taylor was manager when we had the likes of Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas being regulars in the National side, and we wondered why we didn't perform well? I only wish the FA would give the manager's job to a younger man, don't know who, with a remit of general improvement until 2016/2018 and use the next 4 years doing exactly that...planning.

Guest Howaythetoon

Why? He's a central player (in that he's a key player) for the 3rd best side in the division. I've never got the criticism of Parker. I think its because he doesn't score goals, smack in free-kicks or beat his man. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder stroke anchorman strok link up player. Nothing more. He rarely gives the ball away, offers a defensive screen to his defenders and links play up with his midfield and attack. Every time I see him for Spurs he has often been their best player in terms of consistency. I also thought he was fantastic in his first season here and was disappointed when we got rid. He's a good lad as well so I'm happy for him. You just know he'll be over the fucking moon at being captain where as you get the impression Gerrard or someone else would be all "meh, I've played in a CL final". England have probably needed a player like Parker for a few years now. Get Wilshire in the side and Cleverley and we'd finally have a technical midfield for once rather the usual of Stevie G, Lamps etc. Those 3 in particular would keep possession very well.

Where did you get that from?

Journo's on twitter.

Ah right.

Well, if that is indeed the lineup, then I assume England will be lining up like this:

Hart

Richards  Smalling    Cahill    Baines

Parker      Barry

Gerrard

Young                            Johnson

Welbeck

Good to see Richards starting btw.

Where did you get that from?

Journo's on twitter.

Ah right.

Well, if that is indeed the lineup, then I assume England will be lining up like this:

Hart

Richards  Smalling    Cahill    Baines

Parker      Barry

Gerrard

Young                            Johnson

Welbeck

Good to see Richards starting btw.

Decent line-up except Barry.

Guest firetotheworks

Who would people have Parker back ahead of like? He plays the same role as Tiote and is inferior to him.

I'm a fan of 4231 myself.

Why? He's a central player (in that he's a key player) for the 3rd best side in the division. I've never got the criticism of Parker. I think its because he doesn't score goals, smack in free-kicks or beat his man. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder stroke anchorman strok link up player. Nothing more. He rarely gives the ball away, offers a defensive screen to his defenders and links play up with his midfield and attack. Every time I see him for Spurs he has often been their best player in terms of consistency. I also thought he was fantastic in his first season here and was disappointed when we got rid. He's a good lad as well so I'm happy for him. You just know he'll be over the fucking moon at being captain where as you get the impression Gerrard or someone else would be all "meh, I've played in a CL final". England have probably needed a player like Parker for a few years now. Get Wilshire in the side and Cleverley and we'd finally have a technical midfield for once rather the usual of Stevie G, Lamps etc. Those 3 in particular would keep possession very well.

How many of the top international sides would he get into? Answer it correctly, and you'll then understand my point. A fit and well Gerrard at least has the semblance of World class, and so to a lesser extent did Lampard.

Who mentioned planning for the future? I've rarely seen an England side as poor as the one now, and the fact that Scott Parker is the Captain of it,speaks volumes for me..it reminds me of when Graham Taylor was manager when we had the likes of Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas being regulars in the National side, and we wondered why we didn't perform well? I only wish the FA would give the manager's job to a younger man, don't know who, with a remit of general improvement until 2016/2018 and use the next 4 years doing exactly that...planning.

What can any manager do unless we bring through better players? Spain and Germany aren't the best in the world because of their managers but because of the youth setups they implemented years ago. Until we sort ours out we'll constantly play the least technical and tactical football imaginable whoever the manager is.

Is Tiote better than Parker?

Age is on Tiote's side, but as it stands Parker edges it IMO. I realise this is blasphemy.

It's not blasphemy at all, although I am interested to why you think he is better.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hyperbole. Parker is nothing like a Geoff Thomas type of selection. We actually have a very good core group of players and I like the fact Parker and even the mackem lad, are getting a chance. That's where we always go wrong, we pick the country's top players for their position/club and put them all onto the same pitch and expect them to be as good as they are for their clubs while other players get overlooked, regardless of how they perform because they don't play like Gerrard or for Man Utd or whatever. We have always underused our players. Germany, Brazil, Spain, the Dutch, even the French, they always have a high turnover of players because in international football its more about getting a team to fit the team rather than the team to fit the players as we always look for.

Oooh, Lampard scored 20 goals for Chelsea.... he has to start. Oooh, Gerrard scored 20 goals for Liverpool.... he has to start. How many did Scholes score? Pick him to.

The result? A shit midfield.

Welbeck and the mackem lad up front may not be Rooney and Shearer but they will give us pace, movement and desire.

People always derided the fact Crouch got games, stating how bad off we are if he starts, yet his goals record is better than Rooney, the world class player.

We need more Crouch's actually.

Me, my England team would be:

---------------------Hart

----------Walker Smalling Jones Cole

------------------Parker

----------Wilshier------Cleverley

Sturridge Rooney Oxlaide Chamberlain

An English side, full of pace, power, youth and technial ability, and very ballanced.

I think in Parker, Cleverley and Wilshire, we might not have much height in there but we have good technical ability, good passing ability, good movement, quick feet and in Parker, excellent defensive screening. Its a very mobile trio as well.

Sturridge wide offers a goal threat cutting in as well as pace and trickery down the flank, he can also take up the central spot of Rooney if he drops deep or comes wide himself. Oxlaide is an interesting play, he's very raw but he's direct, skilful, quick and seems confident, always wanting to run at people.

With England though, I always feel its all down to the manager. We need a manager who will pick a balanced side, who favours the skills and characteristics of our players and someone who will send a side out with the freedom to express themselves, to play to their strengths. Redknapp is that man for me. Spurs play wonderful football like a continental side but with English characteristics.

We have some fine players lets not forget.

Guest firetotheworks

Who would people have Parker back ahead of like? He plays the same role as Tiote and is inferior to him.

I'm a fan of 4231 myself.

What about Ba and Cisse?

Cisse pushed forward on the right of the 3. Its a versatile formation really.

What can any manager do unless we bring through better players? Spain and Germany aren't the best in the world because of their managers but because of the youth setups they implemented years ago. Until we sort ours out we'll constantly play the least technical and tactical football imaginable whoever the manager is.

Which all, according to your post, would mean that with England being so poor at the moment, which you agree with with your last sentence, we haven't done much in the planning field since the so called "golden generation" came and flattered to deceive. Except we have had some decent U21 sides in the past 5 years. So I summise the managerial position is an important one. And I think to give it to Harry Redknapp wouldn't bode well for the future, and some of that is because of his age, I have to say. Will he be as keen to produce youngsters into the squad/side as readily as a younger guy would?

Is Tiote better than Parker?

Age is on Tiote's side, but as it stands Parker edges it IMO. I realise this is blasphemy.

It's not blasphemy at all, although I am interested to why you think he is better.

It's a close call but Parker is less likely to lose possession IMO. Tiote still, on occasion, has his moments where he holds onto the ball for too long and loses it.

Parker gets it and gives it away asap. Pretty much all that's needed in that position. Down to experience s'pose.

Guest Howaythetoon

Why? He's a central player (in that he's a key player) for the 3rd best side in the division. I've never got the criticism of Parker. I think its because he doesn't score goals, smack in free-kicks or beat his man. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder stroke anchorman strok link up player. Nothing more. He rarely gives the ball away, offers a defensive screen to his defenders and links play up with his midfield and attack. Every time I see him for Spurs he has often been their best player in terms of consistency. I also thought he was fantastic in his first season here and was disappointed when we got rid. He's a good lad as well so I'm happy for him. You just know he'll be over the f***ing moon at being captain where as you get the impression Gerrard or someone else would be all "meh, I've played in a CL final". England have probably needed a player like Parker for a few years now. Get Wilshire in the side and Cleverley and we'd finally have a technical midfield for once rather the usual of Stevie G, Lamps etc. Those 3 in particular would keep possession very well.

How many of the top international sides would he get into? Answer it correctly, and you'll then understand my point. A fit and well Gerrard at least has the semblance of World class, and so to a lesser extent did Lampard.

Gerrard is a world-class club player, but a poor international player because technically, he's a limited player.

How many international sides would Cabaye get into? How about err, France? My point, its not about other sides its about our own and Scott Parker is one of the best performing midfielders this season for one of the best sides and just so happens to be very good at certain things like breaking up play, finding a team-mate with the ball, and protecting the back four. He's a no brainer basically.

By the way, Lampard is and always has been the better footballer than Gerrard. He has that international technique that Gerrard lacks, and maybe if he had someone like Parker behind him in an England shirt, his own England carreer, as decent as it has been, might have been even better.

Watch Gerrard try and run with the ball, watch how long his strides are to catch up with it, he gets away with it because he is a powerful, quick and very althetic runner. If he had zero pace and power in his running though, that ball would run off away from him. He's a heavy footed player on the ball. He can hit a great pass from a standing point and he has tremendous shooting power and can drive forward really well, but ask him to play short, intricate passing, at pace and with movement and he cant. Lampard could. Parker can.