The England Thread

Pilko

I dunno about laying off his selection like.

I'd have picked Johnson, Richards and Carrick and all three would have been in my first XI.

I agree absolutely on Carrick. Definitely not on Johnson - much as I think I rate him, he's started how many games this season? He doesn't even make the bench for City any more, couldn't justify picking him. Richards I'm not sure about. He lost his place due to injury and was kept out by Zabaleta's brilliant form but he's (apparently) a terrible trainer and noticeably poor at following instructions. He's great to watch as a fan but I can see why managers don't like him.

I'd have picked Johnson, Richards and Carrick and all three would have been in my first XI.

I agree absolutely on Carrick. Definitely not on Johnson - much as I think I rate him, he's started how many games this season? He doesn't even make the bench for City any more, couldn't justify picking him. Richards I'm not sure about. He lost his place due to injury and was kept out by Zabaleta's brilliant form but he's (apparently) a terrible trainer and noticeably poor at following instructions. He's great to watch as a fan but I can see why managers don't like him.

I think Smalling may have got picked for the squad and played at right-back were he fit, tbh. Having said that, I'd have taken Richards to the tournament, but with no real idea who I'd choose as a starting right-back. Richards might well have ironed out those issues in his game by the time WC2014 comes around and he could have done with the tourney practice.

Carrick's imo is one of the very, very few world-class players we have so madness not to take him. i hear there was an issue with him being a bit arsey about wanting a starting position or he wouldn't come, so i sympathise with hodgson there. but still he's a class above the alternatives.

definitely not johnson? you need a balanced squad - not just two starting XIs, which seems to be a common misconception. that means players whose role will only be as impact subs in certain situations. johnson may not have played too much this season, but he's shown he can produce off the bench - 6 goals and 6 assists - so wouldve been a good option.  and in general ive never understood the argument that someone should stay home as they have played less football over a season than others - surely that means they are fresher? same kind of argument used against klose in 2010.

Imagine if Geoff Hurst had refused to go to the 66 world cup because he wasn't a starter or if David Platt had refused to go to Italia 90 beccause Robson was first choice.  Just a typical twattish modern footballer.

Welbeck injured according to Hodgson but he's still taking him! Bloody idiot.

He said that he was very confident of him recovering though.

I think Welbeck's an important member of the squad and worth taking a risk on. Of our out-and-out strikers, he's the best all-rounder.

I think Welbeck's an important member of the squad and worth taking a risk on. Of our out-and-out strikers, he's the best all-rounder.

9 goals and 4 assists over 30 league games for the team who finished level on points with the champions...i'm just not buying into welbeck personally

he's there 'cause everyone else is worse, nothing more imo

9 goals and 4 assists over 30 league games for the team who finished level on points with the champions...i'm just not buying into welbeck personally

He's there because he's Rooney's partner imo.

So he's there for possibly one game then?

If you see it from that point of view, Rooney's there for just one game, too.

Carrick's imo is one of the very, very few world-class players we have so madness not to take him. i hear there was an issue with him being a bit arsey about wanting a starting position or he wouldn't come, so i sympathise with hodgson there. but still he's a class above the alternatives.

:spit: Unbelievable!

If you see it from that point of view, Rooney's there for just one game, too.

I'm with you now. :doh: He's not there to be Rooney's partner.  :crazy2:

definitely not johnson? you need a balanced squad - not just two starting XIs, which seems to be a common misconception. that means players whose role will only be as impact subs in certain situations. johnson may not have played too much this season, but he's shown he can produce off the bench - 6 goals and 6 assists - so wouldve been a good option.  and in general ive never understood the argument that someone should stay home as they have played less football over a season than others - surely that means they are fresher? same kind of argument used against klose in 2010.

http://th1131.photobucket.com/albums/m556/senimsaj/th_OhNo.gif 

http://th1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/GifsforGreg/th_VIueG.gif

http://th273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/frenchylatina87/vh1%20gif/th_megan_reaction_close.gif

Guest gggg

Man U have been crying out for a top class central midfielder for years. Who knew they already had a world class one in there.

I'd agree that the alternatives were never going to be great - Carroll, Zamora and Crouch are strong in the air but lack pace, Defoe has pace but his first touch isn't great and he can't hold the ball up.

All the same, I feel positive about Welbeck. I think he offers a good overall package, with no major weaknesses.

Did I read that right? Carrick is a world class player? Howay man :lol: He's a decent player and I would have taken him to the Euros instead of Barry but Carrick isn't that brilliant like.

I'm quite looking forward to this, lost all faith in England after the last tournament but fucking off Arry for Uncal Woy and the media hate for him has got me rooting for him.

Forgot all about this man, not sure whether to watch this or Eurovision.  Was going to find a Eurovision drinking game.

A few years ago you could have just had two rules: down your drink when the song is shit, down your drink when Wogan says "they all just block vote for each other anyway/it's rigged". Would have been hammered.

Take a drink every time you suspect a country has put in a shit act to deliberately not win.

Down your drink every time someone mispronounces Englebert Humperdinckt (complete guess at the spelling!)