The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Chubby Jason

Wasn't Rooney top-scorer in the World Cup Q's? I'd say Fabio's current starting 11 are capable of scoring enough goals to win the world cup.

Top scorer for England? I'm pretty sure the top scorer throughout qualification was Dagano.

The real key is Rooney's partner, who invariabky will not be of great quality. It's not like every player has to be great for you to win a World Cup though.

Was Rooney top scorer in the European groups?

I was born a couple of days after the 86' tournament so I can't comment on that or 90'.

It was the striker comment I was referring to though. I don't think Shearer was quite as good as Rooney, but pretty close.

As a striker I'd take Shearer over Rooney any day. Rooney playing off Shearer, now that would have been sublime.

Rooney plays too deep to play off people.  Lineker would work much better.

Defo take Shearer over Rooney though.  Al in his prime is in a completely different league to anything Rooney's produced thus far.

To be honest I don't even know why I'm replying to one of your posts in this thread. But the opening statement is complete nonsense given the way Rooney and Van Nistelrooj played together.

They only played together for basically 1 season and Rooney certainly didn't play off Ruud.   Rooney was the deeper of the 2. 

Have you ever seen v. Nistelrooy play?  :facepalm:

Wasn't Rooney top-scorer in the World Cup Q's? I'd say Fabio's current starting 11 are capable of scoring enough goals to win the world cup.

Top scorer for England? I'm pretty sure the top scorer throughout qualification was Dagano.

The real key is Rooney's partner, who invariabky will not be of great quality. It's not like every player has to be great for you to win a World Cup though.

Was Rooney top scorer in the European groups?

Nope. I'm looking at the statistics and Rooney was tied for second with Dzeko at 9 goals. Gekas of Greece was first with 10.

The squad I'd take as it stands would be:

James, Green, Hart

Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Johnson, A.Cole, Warnock, Jagielka* (Lescott/Cahill)

Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon, J.Cole, Beckham, Milner, Barry, Walcott, Hargreaves* (Carrick)

Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, C.Cole

*Depends on fitness, other option in brackets.

Guest Chubby Jason

The squad I'd take as it stands would be:

James, Green, Hart

Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Johnson, A.Cole, Warnock, Jagielka* (Lescott/Cahill)

Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon, J.Cole, Beckham, Milner, Barry, Walcott, Hargreaves* (Carrick)

Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, C.Cole

*Depends on fitness, other option in brackets.

I'd always like us to take a 5th striker and drop a pointless midfielder (Carrick), sorry really don't rate him in the slightest.

Sorry, but you'd take C.Cole over Crouch or Agbonlahor? Mental.

Yep, without a doubt. Watched a lot of Cole this season and he's been very impressive.

Cole is a poor man's Heskey imo, in terms of value added to the England team. Crouch gives you a different option, should 100% be in the squad.

Guest Heneage

Yep, without a doubt. Watched a lot of Cole this season and he's been very impressive.

Cole is a poor man's Heskey imo, in terms of value added to the England team. Crouch gives you a different option, should 100% be in the squad.

He has looked very good for West Ham, a Mackem I know said he has incredible strength.

12 months ago, I'd have agreed with you but Cole's progression has been superb. He is a better player than Heskey at the minute and I'd argue that he does the same job as Heskey but better. Like Kezman said, Cole is very strong. He holds the ball up well and brings his team mates in to play a lot of the time. When he came on against Holland, he played the brilliantly and was my Man of the Match even though he only played for 45 minutes. If Heskey continues to sit on the bench for Villa and providing Cole carries on the way he is playing, I'd be happy to see Cole start alongside Rooney.

How many times have Cole and Rooney played together?

Bad bad idea, unless he signs for Man U and they develop an incredible partnership.

I know what you're saying, but Heskey won't have played that many with him either? Yes, they do have a good partnership and I know Heskey is key to the team, but Cole has played that role better than Heskey this season. I hope Heskey plays for Villa in order to keep his place in the England side, but if he doesn't, Cole is the natural replacement.

It's all about how they play together, not how good they are as individuals for their respective clubs. That's why Italy won it last time with Marco Materazzi as their top scorer.

Until Rooney and Cole are proven that they don't work, it's an option that should be explored in my eyes.

Explored, absolutely.

You said that you would be happy to see them start, I presumed you were on about the WC.

If Heskey struggles for game time/fitness and Cole carries on playing like he is, then I would, but Rooney and Cole would have to be paired up in the friendlies between now and the World Cup for that to happen. Cole's form is a surprise as well as quite promising, as he is the closest thing we have to another Heskey, who as we know is crucial to our hopes of winning in South Africa.

Guest firetotheworks

Explored, absolutely.

You said that you would be happy to see them start, I presumed you were on about the WC.

If Heskey struggles for game time/fitness and Cole carries on playing like he is, then I would, but Rooney and Cole would have to be paired up in the friendlies between now and the World Cup for that to happen. Cole's form is a surprise as well as quite promising, as he is the closest thing we have to another Heskey, who as we know is crucial to our hopes of winning in South Africa.

Well reasoned.

I'd still have Crouch in the squad though.

Just spotted a letter on True Faith that mentioned this, don't know if it's been posted.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4935/fabiocrapello.jpg

The papers in this country are an absolute embarrassment.  Getting on his back like that after a meaningless defeat when half the first team are out injured, it's pathetic.

• 2 months later...

The form that Rooney is currently in, could we maybe see a change in formation for England?

I know the current system is working well with Heskey alongside Rooney, but I think playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 could aid us with the talent we have in midfield. I think it could also allow us to get the best out of Gerrard and Lampard, who are the two other most important players in the squad.