The England Thread

Pilko

The defence and midfield are better than I can remember, and Rooney is the best striker i've ever seen in an England shirt. The problem is, goals win games and Rooney doesn't have a fantastic record when it matters.

:nope:

Still think we are now a fantastic unit but I don't think the squad is the best we've had since '66. Also the current team doesn't really inspire me when things don't go to plan if that makes sense?

Guest Chubby Jason

Wasn't Rooney top-scorer in the World Cup Q's? I'd say Fabio's current starting 11 are capable of scoring enough goals to win the world cup.

Wasn't Rooney top-scorer in the World Cup Q's? I'd say Fabio's current starting 11 are capable of scoring enough goals to win the world cup.

Top scorer for England? I'm pretty sure the top scorer throughout qualification was Dagano.

The real key is Rooney's partner, who invariabky will not be of great quality. It's not like every player has to be great for you to win a World Cup though.

I don't see the sense in taking 8 for both defense and mifield... so we'll probably take five strikers anyway.

When's the draw for the actually group stages anyways?

December 4th.

:celb: I'm already scheduling my "World Cup draw" party.

I don't get the criticism of past England teams, btw. Seems to me, other than the 2008 Euro debacle, your team has done relatively well in every major tournament.

Since 1966, expectations have been very high, and getting knocked out at the quarter final has been regarded as failure.

I think this time the grounds for optimism are more realistic. Quite simply we've got a better set of players than I can ever remember, and in Gerrard and Rooney we have two who really can rank with the best in the world.

The other encouraging sign is we have a manager who is very strong in pushing his own ideas and ignoring all the pressure to pick this, that or the other player. Previous managers have picked players on reputation or on the basis of media bandwagons. They feared the criticism that would have come their way if they had dropped particular players and ended up losing. The pressure can also lead to managers making impulsive decisions to change formations etc

Even ice-cool Mr Eriksson succumbed, after a good start. Picking Walcott for the 2006 squad, and playing Owen and Beckham in the tournament when they were clearly holding the team back were decisions borne of pressure.

I don't think we do, but we appear to be more together as a team and as a unit than we have been in previous years.

I suppose I'm encouraged by the fact that there's skill spread throughout the side, rather than just concentrated in a few players like Hoddle or Gazza, who are then expected to make things happen on their own. We've now got centre backs in Terry and Ferdinand, who can pass the ball, and a defensive midfield player in Barry who isn't just there to make tackles. Combine that with the really class players like Joe Cole, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, SWP (imo) and we've got a good unit.

Funnily enough, the weakest area is keeper, where usually we've been very strong. I just hope Green or Foster steps up to the mark.

I was born a couple of days after the 86' tournament so I can't comment on that or 90'.

It was the striker comment I was referring to though. I don't think Shearer was quite as good as Rooney, but pretty close.

As a striker I'd take Shearer over Rooney any day. Rooney playing off Shearer, now that would have been sublime.

I was born a couple of days after the 86' tournament so I can't comment on that or 90'.

It was the striker comment I was referring to though. I don't think Shearer was quite as good as Rooney, but pretty close.

As a striker I'd take Shearer over Rooney any day. Rooney playing off Shearer, now that would have been sublime.

Has to be my dream pairing.

Has to be my dream pairing.

Yeap, thirded. Would have been the perfect mix.

Shearer in his peak was a better all round striker than Rooney. Plus Shearer got the goals for England when it mattered. Rooney a cracking player but not quite at Shearers level yet, plus his temper can overcome him when it's not going his way.

Ronaldo why would you chose Rooney over Shearer at his peak? Quite interested in this, as I know you don't rate Shearer in his prime as high as the rest of us.

I think he was perhaps the best striker in the world from 95-97 from those I saw. I never saw Shearer really excel in an England shirt except for Euro 96 though. In terms of ability i'd definetly go for Rooney, although a prime Shearer would be a better bet for a goal.

Ronaldo why would you chose Rooney over Shearer at his peak? Quite interested in this, as I know you don't rate Shearer in his prime as high as the rest of us.

I think he was perhaps the best striker in the world from 95-97 from those I saw. I never saw Shearer really excel in an England shirt except for Euro 96 though. In terms of ability i'd definetly go for Rooney, although a prime Shearer would be a better bet for a goal.

It's all down to effectiveness really, and for that I'd chose Shearer.

Truth be told I was 11 when Shearer had his injury and I never watched England's games with the same concentration I did for say a Monday night football between Leicester and Man City. My opinion isn't as valid as it could be but it would take an awful lot to beat Rooney who's always looked pretty damn brilliant in an England shirt imo.

Guest firetotheworks

In an England shirt I think it's plain to see that Rooney hasn't become the talent we thought he would, and arguably not as much a threat as he was in 2004.

There's a few strikers I'd have ahead of him that I've seen. Mainly both Shearer and Sheringham.

Rooney plays too deep to play off people.  Lineker would work much better.

Defo take Shearer over Rooney though.  Al in his prime is in a completely different league to anything Rooney's produced thus far.

Rooney plays too deep to play off people.  Lineker would work much better.

Defo take Shearer over Rooney though.  Al in his prime is in a completely different league to anything Rooney's produced thus far.

To be honest I don't even know why I'm replying to one of your posts in this thread. But the opening statement is complete nonsense given the way Rooney and Van Nistelrooj played together.