The England Thread

Pilko

How many friendlies have we got before the big KO?

Egypt at Wembley in March is the only confirmed game so far. Rumours of a couple of games in May too, one possibly in Austria against Japan where we are going to have our training base. Mexico have also been mentioned as potential opponents but no confirmation as yet where it will take place, if at all.

The form that Rooney is currently in, could we maybe see a change in formation for England?

I know the current system is working well with Heskey alongside Rooney, but I think playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 could aid us with the talent we have in midfield. I think it could also allow us to get the best out of Gerrard and Lampard, who are the two other most important players in the squad.

Rather incredibly, Rooney's now our best target man as well as our best withdrawn striker.

It'd be worth a try, if only because it would open up a space for Joe Cole.

Guest Stephen927

He is having a great season, none of our other players come close to matching him in skill or desire. If he performs at the World Cup, we will do well.

Guest sicko2ndbest

James

Johnson ....Terry .......Rio......... Cole

.....................Hargreaves.......

...........Gerrard............. Lampard

Walcott .....................................Lennon

.........................Rooney

Would be exciting

Guest sicko2ndbest

Green

Johnson

Terry

Upson

A.Cole

Lennon

Carrick

Lampard

Gerrard

Rooney

Heskey

would be my first choice team for the moment.

i think thats pretty close to fabios thinking as well

Upson is lucky he'll even be on the plane. Yard dog.

I had to laugh at all the stuff in the papers about Wayne Bridge missing out on the World Cup because of Terry as well. The lad is shite and it's baffled me for ages how he gets picked ahead of Baines & Warnock when he's been so poor week after week for City.

I would probably take one of Baines or Warnock as back-up to A.Cole. Hard to choose which, though.

There's not much to choose between them but Baines has got better technique and is better going forward imo. Warnock is a bit more solid defensively and a fair bit taller.

Depends what type of fullback you want really.

• 1 month later...

For Thespence

Just saw your post in the other thread

Milner admits the leftback may not be his best position for England. If he does play leftback for England that would mean AV have 3 England left backs on there books.

I would probably take one of Baines or Warnock as back-up to A.Cole. Hard to choose which, though.

Thanks for narrowing it down :lol: for what it's worth I rate Baines but I still don't think either are quite good enough. More 'best of a bad bunch' (maybe a bit harsh). I'm praying Cole is fit, quality player him, fecking quality.

Guest Monkey

Leighton Baines would be the solution at left back, I think Warnock is slightly overrated, he certainly had a torrid time against Valencia (the player that is) yesterday.

There's not much to choose between them but Baines has got better technique and is better going forward imo. Warnock is a bit more solid defensively and a fair bit taller.

Depends what type of fullback you want really.

Yep. I am of course biased and would love to see Baines go and play, but I appreciate that opposition teams would probably see him as a relative weakness and would seek to attack that side as much as possible. Decent sides, I mean.