The England Thread

Pilko

Not many candidates for a long term captaincy though (do agree Gerrard was a short sighted appointment - and said so at the time) really our best player is at the right age for the job, but Rooney struggles to inspire himself most games never mind a whole team, plus there is his lack of personality in front of a camera. Just doesn't work for me, it could make him a better player like it did Beckham, but even Beckham seems to have more about him mentally than Rooney.

Terry is by far the best captain we've got, but the politics around him is just crazy. Rio is past it, Cole is the right quality and age, but doesn't have enough presence to be a captain. If Roy takes it off Gerrard I'd see him giving it to Barry or Lampard, who again share the same flaws as Gerrard and need to be phased out ASAP.

Would be great to see several big names and never hasbeens gone by 2014, personally I'd like to see the back of Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Barry, Defoe, Crouch, Downing, Green, Glen Johnson and Carrick - a player with half a good season in 4 years, who didn't want to play for England and has done feck all at international level.

Livermore should be nowhere near that squad, but Caulker makes perfect sense. "Are these players the future of England when they can hardly get in their club teams?" Well if they're young, looked good playing a full season of Premiership football, and did well in the Olympic tournament, then of course. I mean, Williamson? Simpson? I could understand Taylor, but he's not exactly set the Premiership alight either. He's played about the same number of Premiership games in the last three seasons that Caulker managed last year.

Seems a reasonable squad, but frankly beggars can't be choosers.

Being unproven in the top league means nothing these days  :anguish:

I'm not against giving the youngsters a chance but they're simply not playing enough top level games for their clubs to be considered worthy. Bertrand is 23 and has started about 4 games for Chelsea. Livermore is almost 23 and, bar 1 sub appearance, just started playing for Tottenham last year. Caulker hasn't yet played for his club. Are these players the future of England when they can hardly get in their club teams?

To be fair, Caulker had a good season with swansea?

Livermore should be nowhere near that squad, but Caulker makes perfect sense. "Are these players the future of England when they can hardly get in their club teams?" Well if they're young, looked good playing a full season of Premiership football, and did well in the Olympic tournament, then of course. I mean, Williamson? Simpson? I could understand Taylor, but he's not exactly set the Premiership alight either. He's played about the same number of Premiership games in the last three seasons that Caulker managed last year.

Seems a reasonable squad, but frankly beggars can't be choosers.

Totally agree with that.  Livermore was a decent improving squad player who got opportunities last season but no more than that.  Caulker has impressed in the U21's, the Olympics and on loan at Swansea, if Hodgson wants to look at a few youngsters, Caulker would be a realistic pick, as would Bertrand who I think is a very talented full back.  Being stuck behind Ashley Cole has done him no favours at all.

Not many candidates for a long term captaincy though (do agree Gerrard was a short sighted appointment - and said so at the time) really our best player is at the right age for the job, but Rooney struggles to inspire himself most games never mind a whole team, plus there is his lack of personality in front of a camera. Just doesn't work for me, it could make him a better player like it did Beckham, but even Beckham seems to have more about him mentally than Rooney.

Terry is by far the best captain we've got, but the politics around him is just crazy. Rio is past it, Cole is the right quality and age, but doesn't have enough presence to be a captain. If Roy takes it off Gerrard I'd see him giving it to Barry or Lampard, who again share the same flaws as Gerrard and need to be phased out ASAP.

Would be great to see several big names and never hasbeens gone by 2014, personally I'd like to see the back of Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Barry, Defoe, Crouch, Downing, Green, Glen Johnson and Carrick - a player with half a good season in 4 years, who didn't want to play for England and has done feck all at international level.

Joe Hart. Clearly the best English player in his position by a country mile, so he's going to be a mainstay in the team for the foreseeable future. Plus he oozes confidence, the will to win etc. The best choice for me.

Seems a reasonable squad, but frankly beggars can't be choosers

S.Taylor was probably playing as well as any English defender from August till December and received no call up. Capello didn't go to SJP once in his time as boss apparently, though this may be a myth.

I'd never heard of Caulker till today so I'm no expert on him, but I'd rather he (and the other 2) had more top level experience before getting to represent their country, especially at their age. These players must have played over 300 games on loan between them.

Joe Hart. Clearly the best English player in his position by a country mile, so he's going to be a mainstay in the team for the foreseeable future. Plus he oozes confidence, the will to win etc. The best choice for me.

Agree. Even though he's blatantly a cheeky cunt. He's a cheeky cunt who seems to embrace pressure situations, rather than a big fucking bottler like everyone else. Would be useful if his mentality could rub off on a few other England players.

tbf, good shout. Only problem for me is im not keen on GK captains. Everything else fits.

Seems a reasonable squad, but frankly beggars can't be choosers

S.Taylor was probably playing as well as any English defender from August till December and received no call up. Capello didn't go to SJP once in his time as boss apparently, though this may be a myth.

I'd never heard of Caulker till today so I'm no expert on him, but I'd rather he (and the other 2) had more top level experience before getting to represent their country, especially at their age. These players must have played over 300 games on loan between them.

Do top flight games not count unless you're playing for your parent club? Caulker was good last season and is (and with a whole load of others) you should trying out in friendlies. Shame he's Spurs, hopefully he's gets hit by the Michael Dawson caravan in full speed.