The England Thread

Pilko

:lol: am I being patronised by the shittest poster on the forum? f***ing christ.

My pondering of Crouch comes from the distinct lack of other "different" options, FYI.

Exactly, that should be an indicator to how mental you sound when i'm shocked!  :laugh:

'PC' (as you call him) should never in a million years be considered for another international friendly let alone a major tournament. Maddest post i've ever seen from you, even if it was only for a different option type player :lol:

Not sure what the 'accepted quota' is for strikers in an England squad, but I would be tempted to take a bare minimum and take more attacking midfielders.  For example, I would much rather take Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, A.Johnson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Townsend than a load of strikers who aren't very good.

Go on then. What's your starting XI for the WC and rest of the squad (assuming there are no new injuries / retirements etc). Pick mine apart...

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Wilshere

Oxlade      Rooney      Lallana

Sturridge

Keepers: Fuck knows. Foster & Forster?

Defenders: Jones, Cole, Dawson

Midfielders: Henderson, Lampard, Sterling, Carrick, Townsend

Attackers: Welbeck, AC9

Fuck that was hard with the squad. Special mention goes to picking a 3rd choice centre half, I would go Lescott but he hasn't played in god knows how long. I think Smalling will come good but haven't been impressed this season and despite not really rating him at least Dawson plays every week for a decent team and can shout a bit. Jones gets in on the basis he's my 2nd choice RB, 4th choice CB, 3rd choice DM and hopefully won't get a game.

I'd like to have Barkley but Lampard is a safer bet if you need a goal, Carrick can cover the holding role if Gerrard gets injured and Henderson's been class this year. Townsend's a bit shit but can run, play on both sides and was ok for England. Was unsure about Carroll but he offers something different and at least stands a chance when Gerrard starts cunting the ball 60 yards at head height when we're losing, I was very tempted by Rodriguez though.

go on then you bloody piss kidneys. someone else play, put me out of my misery. this took me minutes.

While there is obviously a need for grass roots reform and so on, I think currently we should take advantage of the fact we have good young forward thinking players in our squad. Lallana, Barkley, Sturridge, Sterling, Ox, Wilshere provide me with hope for the future. We're not a possession side, but we have good young talent coming through. Let's utilise that and play to their strengths. That starts with Sturridge playing in his best position.

Lambert is a lot more what we need than Crouch like.

Hart

Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines

Gerrard

Henderson  Lallana

Sterling                              Rooney

Sturridge

Keepers: Forster, Foster

Defenders: Smalling, Jones, Cole

Midfielders: Carrick, Ox, Wilshere, Townsend,

Strikers: Welbeck, Carroll, Rodriguez

J-Rod and Welbeck basically become left forwards in this system anyway, and the Ox can be a much better Boring James Milner in terms of cross midfield cover. Ultimately you need to have a nucleus of players used to playing with one another and Liverpool provide the blueprint with which we need to utilise.

While there is obviously a need for grass roots reform and so on, I think currently we should take advantage of the fact we have good young forward thinking players in our squad. Lallana, Barkley, Sturridge, Sterling, Ox, Wilshere provide me with hope for the future. We're not a possession side, but we have good young talent coming through. Let's utilise that and play to their strengths. That starts with Sturridge playing in his best position.

I err, agree? :lol:

I err, agree? :lol:

Agree also do I :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

See Adam Johnson's comments the other day about having no chance of getting in the squad if you don't play for a top 8 side? Think there's something in that tbh.

There is, but a lot of it's to do with the 'top' clubs hoovering up all the young talent.

See Adam Johnson's comments the other day about having no chance of getting in the squad if you don't play for a top 8 side? Think there's something in that tbh.

Probably because the better players tend to play for teams in the top 8. Also, he's just said top 8 because Southampton are eighth at the moment and they have some players in the squad. In reality, if Southampton are able to get players in the squad, any team can if they have players up to that level.

Guest neesy111

There is, but a lot of it's to do with the 'top' clubs hoovering up all the young talent.

Always think of Jack Rodwell when this is brought up.