BBC: Freddy Shepherd £60m offer for NUFC likely to be accepted

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We know what were getting with fred, better the devil you know, he won't f*** shearer around,and what's more, he'll back him. Good news IMO, hope it's done this week so al can get on with rebuilding

Yeah he won't f*** Shearer around because he certainly didn't do the same to Sir Bob and Souness. Oh....

We know what were getting with fred, better the devil you know, he won't fuck shearer around,and what's more, he'll back him. Good news IMO, hope it's done this week so al can get on with rebuilding

Two more positives.

NE5 will be happy.

With Shepherd we might go into financial ruin, but at least we'll seem to be getting somewhere. With Ashley we'll be heading to financial ruin and falling down the leagues.

While both are c***s, Shepherd is the better c***.

might do. he was lucky to have ashley as a get out last time. the thing is,has fred learned from lastr time ?

I hope so, but backing the Owen transfer recently suggests he hasn't learned a thing and isn't ready to admit his mistakes.

he'd never admit he was wrong,i'm not even sure the owen deal was wrong although it has turned out that way. however not admitting he was wrong is different to knowing he was wrong (it's a very female trait actually)

We know what were getting with fred, better the devil you know, he won't f*** shearer around,and what's more, he'll back him. Good news IMO, hope it's done this week so al can get on with rebuilding

Yeah he won't f*** Shearer around because he certainly didn't do the same to Sir Bob and Souness. Oh....

That's my point, he won't with shearer, he won't stand for it, and he knows it, bobby was old, souness was hated so he could do what he wanted, he can't, and won't IMO, with shearer

With Shepherd we might go into financial ruin, but at least we'll seem to be getting somewhere. With Ashley we'll be heading to financial ruin and falling down the leagues.

While both are c***s, Shepherd is the better c***.

might do. he was lucky to have ashley as a get out last time. the thing is,has fred learned from lastr time ?

I hope so, but backing the Owen transfer recently suggests he hasn't learned a thing and isn't ready to admit his mistakes.

he'd never admit he was wrong,i'm not even sure the owen deal was wrong although it has turned out that way. however not admitting he was wrong is different to knowing he was wrong (it's a very female trait actually)

:lol:

His cop out was 'hindsight' but in the end of the day you need some kind of forward thinking if you are going to plan for the future. I hope he's not full of quick fixes and ways to fleece money off us so he can own a bigger % of the club.

I feel like I've been in a car crash and the doctor is at my bedside telling me that I'm lucky to be alive but that he's had to chop both my legs off.

Exactly my feeling and we all need to know as long as this guy is around we don't have the possibiliy of being top club. For God sake he fire Sir Bobby.

That's my point, he won't with shearer, he won't stand for it, and he knows it, bobby was old, souness was hated so he could do what he wanted, he can't, and won't IMO, with shearer

Bobby was old?! What's shearer going to do, punch FFS's lights out?  ;D

Bobby was old?! What's shearer going to do, punch FFS's lights out?  ;D

that i would pay to watch

Nothing from any other news agency regarding this. I'll bet SSN are getting their North Eastern correspondent out of bed to chase up this story.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/86978/Shep-s-back-in-Toon/

SHEP'S BACK IN TOON

30th June 2009

By Ian Murtagh

FORMER Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is a shock front-runner to buy out Toon owner Mike Ashley and take over the troubled club.

Starsport understand that Shepherd, who was ousted by Ashley two years ago, is favourite to resume control ahead of an American-based consortium.

A source close to Shepherd last night claimed his camp are confident a deal can be struck. And he dismissed fears that Ashley won’t do business with Shepherd, who has been fiercely critical of the sports magnate’s regime, which has overseen the club’s alarming decline, culminating in last month’s relegation.

“There are two serious parties interested in buying the club and Freddy is one of them,’’ the source said. “At the moment, it’s 50-50 but Freddy is cautiously optimistic.

“He’s upset at what’s happened to Newcastle and will do everything he can to get the club back on its feet again. It’s nonsense to suggest Mike Ashley won’t sell to Shepherd.

“That is not a hurdle in itself though obviously a deal like this isn’t clear-cut and can take time.’’

Shepherd’s possible return will be good news for Alan Shearer, who has privately backed his fellow-Geordie’s bid.

The squad return for pre-season training tomorrow with Shearer a frustrated onlooker after weeks of inactivity on the takeover front. Shearer had hoped to be reinstalled as manager ahead of the squad reporting back but instead it will be coach Chris Hughton who puts the players through their paces.

But Shearer knows that if Shepherd’s bid is successful, he will be holding the reins again.

The pair enjoy an excellent relationship and have held talks over the summer, with Shepherd promising the 38-year-old his first act as chairman will be to present him with a four-year deal.

Ashley is demanding £100m for the club he bought from the Hall family and Shepherd for £135m in June 2007, spending a further £100m to reduce inherited debts.

Shepherd has signed a confidentiality agreement and cannot discuss negotiations.

He is ready to re-invest the £37m he received from Ashley for his shares, though Ashley’s £100m valuation is thought to be a stumbling block.

Shepherd’s consortium, which does not involve any foreign investors, are willing to pay up to £80m.

Although Ashley is desperate for a quick sale, it remains to be seen if he will drop his asking price.

Of last season’s flops, only Michael Owen and Mark Viduka have left on free transfers. One of the first tasks for whoever takes control will be to slash the £72m wage bill.

I'm undecided. Shepherd will be better than Ashley, but it was his interference which started the club's slide back in 2003. I'd guess he'll be being backed by foreign money, so he may just be the figurehead and not numero-uno. I'm not sure he could raise that much cash on his own, even with roping in his son and brother.

We need to eradicate the doubt surrounding the club, ideally before pre-season. That's a bit of a long shot - but we can't let it carry on. Reading Lee Ryder's article about training today (i think it was Ryder) was pretty damning evidence to me tbh. Shepherd's an improvement on Ashley and i believe he'll do his utmost to get us back into the Premier League, that's just my perspective on it.

Plus he'll appoint Shearer straight away. If we can have stuff sorted a week into June then we might get away with a seriously shoddy close season.

Not ideal but i'll take it. It's not a massive forward step by any means, but it's not a backward step either. We know what we're getting with Shepherd - an improvement.

Postives:

- Ambition in the playing staff: Understands that every top side is built around a star attacking player, and will seek to purchase a player of this calibre.

- Experience: Will know what he's doing he's done it for a decade.

- Fan of Shearer: He'll not be undermining this manager, as not only is Shearer too big a personality, but Shepherd seemed to hero-worship him like many regular fans.

Negatives:

- Too numerous to bother with.

Meh, at least he's better than Llambias and we'll have a good chance of getting back into the Premiership sometime soon. Definitely not happy about it though, just because we've found someone worse than Shepherd doesn't mean he's the only fish in the sea.

This 100m has always been a joke.

£60 million sounds about right. Ashley has been burning money like he just don't care, the fucking idiot.

Complete train wreck of a man. Get the fuclk out of the club.

If this comes off you'll have to let NE5 back on.

Can you imagine? :lol:

The lectures that would be administered every time someone even dared question something Shepherd did would be epic.