Do we need agents?

Neil

After hearing rumours of us going after a Serbian lad, Marko Pantelic, I saw that he doesn't have an agent, because he wants direct contact with the other club.

Also heard (not sure how much truth is in it) that Paul Scholes is the only player in the PL without an agent.

Do players actually need agents? We often hear about agents being somewhat shady and pocketing a lot of money for themselves. What are your thoughts on this?

Need then no but players will want them, not everyone is out spoken and ready to stand up for themselves, so to be able to get the bestd eal not just from clubs but sponsors and other media things they need an agent.

I guess a lot depends on how willing a player is let the agent run everything, the need to remember they have the final say not their agent, I think that is the biggest problem.

Agents generally do a lot more things for players than just football contracts. I guess footballers fell that as they earn so much, they are best off getting an agent to do stuff for them so they get the time off some of their other commitments.

Guest gggg

Yes most players need agents especially in the lower leagues.

Scholes uses the PFA like lots of players and doesnt really need one anyway.

After hearing rumours of us going after a Serbian lad, Marko Pantelic, I saw that he doesn't have an agent, because he wants direct contact with the other club.

Also heard (not sure how much truth is in it) that Paul Scholes is the only player in the PL without an agent.

Do players actually need agents? We often hear about agents being somewhat shady and pocketing a lot of money for themselves. What are your thoughts on this?

Where did you hear the Pantelic rumour? Decent player who'd do well in England I reckon.

Arshavin has sacked his agent and will represent himself

Not exactly a great thing to do considering the fact that he doesn't speak english...

And WE don't need agents but the players do!

Guest Stephen927

I think the young lads fresh out of the Academy should have an agent as they are just learning about football. Older players who are more recognised don't really need one other than for arranging flights and all that stuff.

Guest Phil K

Most players aren't very bright, and they're also mainly lazy

Two reasons why agents flourish

From a player's point of view, an agent more than pays for himself in negotiating a better deal. They act like nannies to a lot of players, too.

As is the case with pretty much any agent, their best interests are not always the same as those of the people they represent. And certainly, they remove a lot of money from the game while adding little else.