Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question lots of Geordies ask me... Born in the West Midlands I soon moved up north as my Dad and his side of the family are Geordies. I lived the for a few years, went to school there (Steven Taylor's school oddly I found out) and aged 8 moved back down to the West Mids with a broad Geordie accent which I've now lost, in my 30's now. I still have extended family there (it's complicated) but I love my football and do get to games when I can. I was presented with a choice I guess and enjoyed watching other clubs and especially foreign (Italian) clubs on TV as a youngster, it wasn't until Newcastle were televised a lot in the Endsleigh Division 2 that I could really follow them properly... but I'd only ever pay to travel and support one club live. I have golden memories and my heart has a soft spot for the place I guess.  :coolsmiley:

I had a mate from the midlands who supported us, he used to eat pint glasses.

Shearer is the main reason. Grew up in California, went to England right as he was transferring to newcastle. Idolized him. Have tons of friends who jumped on Man U, Chelsea, arsenal, bandwagons. Might sound strange but I feel sorry for them, yeah they've seen success, but seems hollow, unearned. I've been to St. James once and it was amazing. 2008 won 3-0. Maybe I'm a romantic or just an idiot but when I finally get to see us lift a trophy it'll be worth 100 times what it would if I would've taken the easy road and followed Man U or Chelsea.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I obviously don't know, but if I was a Chelsea fan after Roman came in and they won the league I think I would have felt like "yeah we won it, but we cheated". Same with City. I know it's not cheating, but I think it would feel that way. Like you said, hollow and unearned.

Imagine when (if  :'( ) we win something!  :bounce:

New member, and a non-Geordie, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

The city would be my primary reason for supporting Newcastle, so I voted on that basis. I absolutely love Newcastle as a city, my favourite night out in the UK has always been Newcastle and the people are great, good humoured and friendly.

My affection for the team began in the 90s, from watching Beardsley/Cole link up superbly, being entertained by the likes of Ginola and Asprilla, and seeing defenders like Albert break the usual mould of big horrible lumps as British defenders that struggle to 'play' on the deck..........as a Glasgow schoolboy looking in on the Premiership from afar Newcastle were exciting, unique, unpredictable......and winning, which is always an attraction when you are young and flirting with a 'foreign' league. But my affection has remained despite the ups and downs since those exciting days in the 90s.

I remember attending Michael Owen's debut, at home to Fulham, 1-1. I had been invited along to a hospitality box that day for lunch through work, and what always strikes you at Newcastle is the passion running right through the club from top to bottom, like nothing else I've seen at any other club. You expect it from the Newcastle fans, but every single staff member I came across was just buzzing, you could physically see it in them all. When Michael Owen's name was read out that day one of the female staff working in our box was in tears she was so happy !

I'll be honest, my biggest love is Glasgow Rangers........so give me a break if you guys think you have it tough just now  :weep: But generally speaking I'm just an obsessive football fan, love the Premiership and have had a long lasting and deep affection for Newcastle for roughly the last 18 years, as have my brother and father who have also attended Newcastle games and view them as their favourite Premiership side.

It's a difficult time for Newcastle just now, and while it's certainly not a crisis in my view, the problems run deeper than just selection, or just the manager, or just the signing policy, or just the owner......there is a combination of factors that have led to disappointment and inconsistency in recent years and I look forward to debating these issues with you all over the coming season and beyond.

Great post - in many ways, Glasgow and Newcastle are similar cities - both with a proud history of ship-building and industry, now virtually unrecognizable from the same places 30 years ago. Both cities have a population with a dry quirky humour who are football fanatics.The similarity ends there because Glasgow is obviously a 2 team city whereas Newcastle is entirely focussed on one club.

I look forward to hearing more of your views because you are obviously a victim of the NUFC disease which affects many people...!

Lets hope things get back to something like they were in the days you first took an interest in the club, but it may take a while...

You could throw Belfast into that pot as well really, shipbuilding City, rough and ready locals with a black humour, even though Newcastle and Belfast are very different in terms of topography, they are very similar in terms of people IMO.

Probably why it feels very homely to me when I'm there.

Most are failed glory hunters - let's be honest. Most from the KK era but some from the SBR era. That's what success brings.

Ashleys done some major damage to the NUFC brand.

Would you call it a glory hunter if you start supporting as a kid, even if you pick a good team?

Being born here is the only way to be considered a Geordie ???

Would mean Taylor and Shola aren't Geordie.

Neither is Steve ''pasty bairn'' Bruce.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac225/animal02/English%20County%20Flags%203/Northumberland-Flag.gif

Being born here is the only way to be considered a Geordie ???

Would mean Taylor and Shola aren't Geordie.

Neither is Steve ''pasty bairn'' Bruce.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac225/animal02/English%20County%20Flags%203/Northumberland-Flag.gif

Being a Northumbrian does not necessarily make you a Geordie. 

Guest RoboCop

A question lots of Geordies ask me... Born in the West Midlands I soon moved up north as my Dad and his side of the family are Geordies. I lived the for a few years, went to school there (Steven Taylor's school oddly I found out) and aged 8 moved back down to the West Mids with a broad Geordie accent which I've now lost, in my 30's now. I still have extended family there (it's complicated) but I love my football and do get to games when I can. I was presented with a choice I guess and enjoyed watching other clubs and especially foreign (Italian) clubs on TV as a youngster, it wasn't until Newcastle were televised a lot in the Endsleigh Division 2 that I could really follow them properly... but I'd only ever pay to travel and support one club live. I have golden memories and my heart has a soft spot for the place I guess.  :coolsmiley:

I had a mate from the midlands who supported us, he used to eat pint glasses.

haha. Not easy supporting the Toon from down here... I like where I live but it's rife with Baggies, Villa, Wolves and Bluenoses, as well as the top teams, I get the usual stick. I guess I made my choice based on my first experiences in life I couldn't shake. No regrets mind - such is life

The only remotely viable definition of a "Geordie" is anyone from the historical counties of Northumberland and County Durham who consider themselves as such.

The only remotely viable definition of a "Geordie" is anyone from the historical counties of Northumberland and County Durham who consider themselves as such.

And that of course depends on where the term ''Geordie'' comes from, in anyone's own opinion

My Grandad was a thoroughbred Geordie and when I was a kid he ALWAYS talked about Newcastle United and had so many stories about the matches he attended and the city in general. 

My dad lived in Newcastle until he was about 10 then they all moved down south, I think I was basically brainwashed...... Which is a bit of a shit considering there is a good 360+ miles to travel if I want to see a home game.

My Grandad was a thoroughbred Geordie and when I was a kid he ALWAYS talked about Newcastle United and had so many stories about the matches he attended and the city in general. 

My dad lived in Newcastle until he was about 10 then they all moved down south, I think I was basically brainwashed...... Which is a bit of a shit considering there is a good 360+ miles to travel if I want to see a home game.

This X2.

• 9 years later...