The Loyal Players

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/29/star-trio-heading-for-toon-exit-72703-24266643/

It’s understood that a number of players who want to stay and fight for promotion, regardless of who is manager this season, took issue with those such as Beye, who have indicated in public they want to leave.

And while United first-teamers Steven Taylor, Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, Alan Smith and the host of fringe players on show all headed back to Tyneside after the game, the likes of Beye, Fabricio Coloccini and Xisco all set off for European destinations.

How do you view those that are showing a good attitude and want to play for us in the Championship next season as mentioned above? You can probably add the likes of Duff, Geremi, ryan Taylor and Butt off the top of my head. The article is about Martins, Beye and Bassong heading for the exit btw, in case you haven't read it.

We should at least challenge for promotion, but only with a decent manager in charge. Similarly to the probability we would have stayed up had they had a decent manager in charge.

Cynical I know but I can't imagine the likes of Nolan and Smith are staying "to fight" (why didn't they "fight" at the end of last season?) for promotion purely because of their massive wages? I''d rather have the likes of Beye and Bassong and martins over them every single day of the week.

I expect the ones willing to stay and "fight" are the ones that Bassong said were more interested in their holidays than being relegated after the Villa game.

And how awful Beye etc "fly off" to Europe after the game, wtf?! Why shouldn't they? Is foreign travel banned like?

Cynical I know but I can't imagine the likes of Nolan and Smith are staying "to fight" (why didn't they "fight" at the end of last season?) for promotion purely because of their massive wages? I''d rather have the likes of Beye and Bassong and martins over them every single day of the week.

I expect the ones willing to stay and "fight" are the ones that Bassong said were more interested in their holidays than being relegated after the Villa game.

And how awful Beye etc "fly off" to Europe after the game, wtf?! Why shouldn't they? Is foreign travel banned like?

That's my thinking as well tbh. These "loyal" players are all paid much more than they would be anywhere else, and their loyalty is more a case of no one wants them because they are shit in reality. While they are assured good headlines, it's these players who have held us back for years and their crapness has eventually seen us relegated.

As one of those who witnessed the keegan revolution first time round, one of his strengths was getting rid albeit diplomatically, of some of our most loyal players who just weren't good enough for the level we were competing at. Players like Bracewell, Sellars, Lee Clark, gavin peacock, David Kelly...my god, this current bunch aren't fit to clean their boots but we had strong leadersip back then.

Guest Phil K

Its always amused me, the shining bright image so many of us had of Beye - now when the chips are down we see his TRUE face.

Its always amused me, the shining bright image so many of us had of Beye - now when the chips are down we see his TRUE face.

...a quality player who doesn't want to play for a joke club any more?

I think it's difficult to tar them all with the same brush.

Those players that expressed a desire to leave the moment our relegation was confirmed can go and fuck themselves. It's these spineless pricks that cost us our Premier League status in the first place so IMO they should at least show a bit of remorse

Those players that now want to leave the club because of the circus that has ensued since our relegation, due to Mike Ashley's gross incompetence, I have some sympathy for. Beye comes into this category - originally he said he would stay to help us get promoted again but he's obviously become pissed off with the uncertainty, and who can blame him.

The group of players who have said they will stay regardless of the situation deserve a round of applause if you ask me because our current plight is enough to turn even most loyal players against the club. Whether they are staying out of a desire to put last season's wrongs right, a blind love of the club, money, or simply because they realise they are not good enough for the premier league doesn't bother me. They could probably all jump ship to a more stable environment but they're choosing to stay so good on them.

I don't really care if they're in it for the right reasons or not, the majority of them are bad footballers.

Like many have said in the past months, they can show their commiment by taking a paycut that reflects their level of performance and skill.

Guest Phil K

...who thinks loyalty is a dirty word ?

This basically what makes me say I'll just wait and see.

I don't blame any player for wanting out of the club at the moment, I imagine most of them would rather be elsewhere.

I don't really care if they're in it for the right reasons or not, the majority of them are bad footballers.

Like many have said in the past months, they can show their commiment by taking a paycut that reflects their level of performance and skill.

There are one or two of them who would end up owning the club money each week if that happened

Guest Roger Kint

This basically what makes me say I'll just wait and see.

I don't blame any player for wanting out of the club at the moment, I imagine most of them would rather be elsewhere.

For the sake of a performance last season they could be all Premier League players right now on their fat juicy contracts, luckily for their lack of talent and commitment Mike Ashley has produced the perfect escape for their own incompetence. The only ones not deserving this pain are us fans.

Imagine if someone offered you double what you worth per year to do your job and didn't write any contingency into your contract in case you were crap at your job. Then a year later the company ask you to accept a 50% pay cut because you hadn't performed as well as they wanted you to. Would you? I know I bloody wouldn't and why should I. If the company are stupid enough to offer to offer me that salary in the first place then whose fault is it?

If it were you or I (someone with a genuine love, feeling and general concern for the well-being of Newcastle United) playing for the club then perhaps we'd be prepared to take a pay cut, but the majority of these players are just people being paid to do a job by a company that was stupid enough to offer them more than they were worth and not write relegation clauses into their contracts. They don't look at the situation like we do.

Imagine if someone offered you double what you worth per year to do your job and didn't write any contingency into your contract in case you were crap at your job. Then a year later the company ask you to accept a 50% pay cut because you hadn't performed as well as they wanted you to. Would you? I know I bloody wouldn't and why should I. If the company are stupid enough to offer to offer me that salary in the first place then whose fault is it?

If it were you or I (someone with a genuine love, feeling and general concern for the well-being of Newcastle United) playing for the club then perhaps we'd be prepared to take a pay cut, but the majority of these players are just people being paid to do a job by a company that was stupid enough to offer them more than they were worth and not write relegation clauses into their contracts. They don't look at the situation like we do.

Very true and I agree 100%, it doesn't mean we should accept it though and not give them any abuse (not saying you said it did)

None of them are loyal. Pretty funny how the ones who most people expect to leave first (Martins, Beye and Bassong) are infinitely more talented than shithouses like 'loyal' Nicky Butt, 'loyal' Alan Smith and 'loyal' Kevin Nolan btw.

95% of professional footballers don't really give a shit about the club they represent. Of those that do care you've probably only got about 10% who would be prepared to take a pay cut under any circumstances (assuming they could find another club).

Alan Smith isnt loyal. He left the team he supports to join their biggest rivals. If he was still decent he would be wanting out, no doubt about it.

That said, I can see him being one of our better players this coming season.

Alan Smith isnt loyal. He left the team he supports to join their biggest rivals. If he was still decent he would be wanting out, no doubt about it.

That said, I can see him being one of our better players this coming season.

Probably true. If we had a manager who could have us organised into something other than a mess, alot of our shit from last season would probably be quality in this league. The fact that Bristol City fans are creaming themselves over signing Paul Hartley says it all to me. There is some real shite in this league.

it's not loyalty it's greedy...if the players had any sort of ambition(like Bassong...the ones really capable of playing at a higher level) they would be asking for transfers and were willing to take a pay cut instead of insinsting their loyalty just because of their huge paychecks! When you're making as much money as the most of our current players does it really matter taking a cut of like 5-10K a week? :rolleyes:

I'd understand their persistent to stay at the club if it was 20 years ago when the wages was pretty reasonable