Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest neesy111

56 points the previous season was not a good total with that squad and the teams around us, whichever way you look at it, and it was only ever going to get worse.

It wasn't only ever going to get worse, it was after we replaced him with Souness.

Trust you to bring that up, has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The team hadn't played well for a long time and Shearer/Speed's decline compounded with ineffective summer signings made the decision inevitable, even if it could be argued it came prematurely.

Anyway, RIP. Let the weaklings try to rewrite history. We all loved him and will continue to do so.

:lol: Which Bobby had a whole 4 games to work with. Don't forget, it was he who planned to manoeuvre Shearer out of the team; it was Souness who was having none of that. That's one reason why Kluivert was so ineffectual. He had his problems but he still managed 13 goals in a season where he played a bit-part role; he looked a class above at times. Didn't have to be the relatively pants signing it turned out to be.

The timing of the sacking was as catastrophic a decision as appointing Souness; with that in mind i can understand the reasons to let him go at the end of 03/04, as opposed to the beginning of 04/05. But i'm with Mick when it comes to denying the idea that "it was only going to get worse". He wasn't backed in the previous summer and our form suffered for it. But he made some promising signings that year in N'Zogbia, Milner, Butt and Kluivert - not forgetting that Robert was coming off the back of a sensational season, and Bellamy was fully fit for the first time in ages. Dyer was a problem child but that had always been the case; it didn't change when Souness arrived and he was actually one of our best players for the next two or three years.

We had a good squad with a weak defense following the loss of Woodgate - there's no reason why we couldn't have had another good year, even if we didn't return to the heights of 01/02. We might have even won the UEFA Cup that year had we still had Bobby.

It's all hypothetical i know but it's wrong to completely write off any further progress we could have made under Sir Bob. The narrative under him had taken a dip. If he was treated properly he could have halted the decline and the whole script of the next few years could've (probably would've, imo) been very different.

Aye, Kluivert and Bellamy were so much more effective than any partnership Shearer had that season

Oh, without doubt. Shearer had a terrible pre-season and was ineffective at best against Boro, Spurs and Norwich. Shame Bobby didn't drop him earlier, but then that's the problem he faced all along.

Oh, without doubt. Shearer had a terrible pre-season and was ineffective at best against Boro, Spurs and Norwich. Shame Bobby didn't drop him earlier, but then that's the problem he faced all along.

Shearer scored 28 goals in 03/04 so there's no wonder he wasn't dropped (well he was once, at Valerenga). But then we've had this argument before, haven't we. :smitten:

Guest Howaythetoon

That whole summer was horrible. Conjunctivitus, Genoa, Liverpool and Celtic alegedley all bidding for Shearer, rumours that Sir Bobby was willing to sell him to Liverpool. Rumours of a bust up between the pair. FS saying Bobby would not be getting a new deal. Dyer refusing the captain's armband. A few players sticking two fingers up to Bobby behind his back in training. Dyer getting booed at SJP playing for England. Players obviously signed behind Bobby's back and in Speed's case, sold behind his back. Viana shipped out on loan. In fact that whol year and season was bad for the club and especially for Sir Bobby. The rate in which he deterioated after his sacking was shocking to witness. For me getting sacked in the manner it happened broke Bobby and I'll never forget some cunt of a reporter at Sky asking him what he thought about being sacked as he was leaving the training ground, Sir Bobby with tears in his eyes and barely able to speak. He could have easily told the reporter to fuck off but he was a gentleman and simply said he was sad, had a great few years though and then went on to thanks fans, players and even the board and wished all the very best.

A great great man for club, country and the world in general. There are not many people left like him, especially in football.

I doubt we'll ever see someone so passionate about NUFC and footy than him. That documentary where he was drooling in pride at the oak doors at SJP man...

The end of season walk-out by fans will forefever be a black stain against our support. I bet Sir Bobby and the players thought 'ungrateful bastards', they gave their all that season which was littered with games and injuries, yet we still finished 5th this despite not reinforcing other than Bowyer.

Guest BooBoo

That whole summer was horrible. Conjunctivitus, Genoa, Liverpool and Celtic alegedley all bidding for Shearer, rumours that Sir Bobby was willing to sell him to Liverpool. Rumours of a bust up between the pair. FS saying Bobby would not be getting a new deal. Dyer refusing the captain's armband. A few players sticking two fingers up to Bobby behind his back in training. Dyer getting booed at SJP playing for England. Players obviously signed behind Bobby's back and in Speed's case, sold behind his back. Viana shipped out on loan. In fact that whol year and season was bad for the club and especially for Sir Bobby. The rate in which he deterioated after his sacking was shocking to witness. For me getting sacked in the manner it happened broke Bobby and I'll never forget some cunt of a reporter at Sky asking him what he thought about being sacked as he was leaving the training ground, Sir Bobby with tears in his eyes and barely able to speak. He could have easily told the reporter to fuck off but he was a gentleman and simply said he was sad, had a great few years though and then went on to thanks fans, players and even the board and wished all the very best.

A great great man for club, country and the world in general. There are not many people left like him, especially in football.

I doubt we'll ever see someone so passionate about NUFC and footy than him. That documentary where he was drooling in pride at the oak doors at SJP man...

The end of season walk-out by fans will forefever be a black stain against our support. I bet Sir Bobby and the players thought 'ungrateful bastards', they gave their all that season which was littered with games and injuries, yet we still finished 5th this despite not reinforcing other than Bowyer.

I wrote about this in The Premier League years thread. What you've written is cliched bollocks which has been twisted by the press and unforgivably more so since Bobby died. "Black stain" my fucking hole.

Nowt personal HTT but I thought you had more sense than to swallow that crap.

Guest Howaythetoon

is there a picture of this two fingers up to SBR behind his back anywhere online?

Belonged to the Chronicle and they didn't publish it but did mention it iirc.

They didn't release it out of respect for Sir Bobby but they reported it. Apparently Dyer and Bramble were the main culprits. They were basically mocking him behind his back. There was another rumour that Shearer had a right go at them over it and that Sir Bobby although obviously pissed off, played the 'they are just youngings, being a bit wild' card which angered other senior members of the squad.

I love Sir Bobby but I do believe although unintentionally, some of his decisions or man management lead to fractions in the camp. He was basically too easy going on the younger players, acting more like a father than a boss basically whereas with senior players he could be quite hard, ask Nobby.

Bobby wasn't as soft or as niave as is sometimes portrayed, he could be ruthless and calculating. You just knew with him though everything was done with a smile and humanity and everything was done in the club's best interests.

Guest Howaythetoon

That whole summer was horrible. Conjunctivitus, Genoa, Liverpool and Celtic alegedley all bidding for Shearer, rumours that Sir Bobby was willing to sell him to Liverpool. Rumours of a bust up between the pair. FS saying Bobby would not be getting a new deal. Dyer refusing the captain's armband. A few players sticking two fingers up to Bobby behind his back in training. Dyer getting booed at SJP playing for England. Players obviously signed behind Bobby's back and in Speed's case, sold behind his back. Viana shipped out on loan. In fact that whol year and season was bad for the club and especially for Sir Bobby. The rate in which he deterioated after his sacking was shocking to witness. For me getting sacked in the manner it happened broke Bobby and I'll never forget some c*** of a reporter at Sky asking him what he thought about being sacked as he was leaving the training ground, Sir Bobby with tears in his eyes and barely able to speak. He could have easily told the reporter to f*** off but he was a gentleman and simply said he was sad, had a great few years though and then went on to thanks fans, players and even the board and wished all the very best.

I wrote about this in The Premier League years thread. What you've written is cliched bollocks which has been twisted by the press and unforgivably more so since Bobby died. "Black stain" my f***ing hole.

Nowt personal HTT but I thought you had more sense than to swallow that crap.

Otter, howay man, we had finished 4th, 3rd and 5th and although that season ended up being quite disappointing the walk-out and especially the boos at home to Wolves, was bad crack on our behalf as fans. It showed a sense of fickleness in massive dollops.

Don't get me wrong, at the time I was angry about that season and wondered wether we should move Bobby on but looking back, we as fans let ourselves down at the lap of honour and especially against Wolves.

Different times I know but compare that to the reaction of relegation.

I'm not having a go at fans btw because I was as irrate as any towards the end but then I had been spoiled and was clearly ungrateful at the time looking back.

I just imagine how Bobby must have felt during that lap of honour and reckon he deserved more. The players did too. Yes one or two didn't have the best of seasons and some showed some cowardly moments but in general that team worked hard all season despite lots of games, massive expectations, lots of injuries, no new signings and of course massive disappointments i.e. Partizan, Marseille etc.

Guest beardsleysboots

They didn't release it out of respect for Sir Bobby but they reported it. Apparently Dyer and Bramble were the main culprits. They were basically mocking him behind his back. There was another rumour that Shearer had a right go at them over it and that Sir Bobby although obviously p*ssed off, played the 'they are just youngings, being a bit wild' card which angered other senior members of the squad.

I love Sir Bobby but I do believe although unintentionally, some of his decisions or man management lead to fractions in the camp. He was basically too easy going on the younger players, acting more like a father than a boss basically whereas with senior players he could be quite hard, ask Nobby.

Bobby wasn't as soft or as niave as is sometimes portrayed, he could be ruthless and calculating. You just knew with him though everything was done with a smile and humanity and everything was done in the club's best interests.

The two best managers we have had at this club were both treated like Shit. Bobby and Joe Harvey.  Doubt we will ever have another manager as good as Sir Bobby Robson.  May he rest in peace with the Angels. A true gentleman who like us loved this club.

• 3 weeks later...

That Sport's Personality speech. :(

When watching that i thought people weren't going to stop clapping. It sort of started to go quiet when a normal applause comes to an end but then suddenly it just picks back up again and keeps going, amazing!

Love when the standing ovation got bigger and bigger til the whole arena was on its feet.

Despite it being about him, he had time to stop and congratulate Lewis Hamilton too. What a guy man :smitten:

Alright guys and girls.

I am taking part in a 24 Hour 11-a-side Football Match in aid of The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. The Event will take place on Friday 24th August 2012 starting at 6pm and will run through until 6pm on Saturday 25th August 2012, and it is going to be taking place at Gateshead Stadium.

If this is a success, we are going to aim for a World Record attempt of 75 hours some time in 2013!

Those of you who I've played with for the NOFC will notice I'm generally breathing out of my backside after 10 minutes, so I've got a tough 4 months coming up to get into some sort of condition to take this on!

Any donation however small is welcome, and appreciated, and will be going to a great cause, I've just set the page up now at

http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Billany

Cheers. :thup:

Well this has sneaked up far too frigging quickly, done zero preparation for this, but at 6pm on Friday I'll be about to kick-off in this grueling but more than worthy event. Any contribution would be greatly appreciated no matter how big or small.

https://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Billany

So far, we're just under £300 short of the £5,000 group target, so would be brilliant to see us edge past that. :)

Thanks to everyone on here who chipped in was appreciated.

We managed to get until 8am on the Saturday morning before weather conditions made it unplayable but it was a worthwhile event. Olivier Bernard made an appearance at about 9pm on the Friday night for a half hour to watch.

Overall the event smashed the £5000 target raising over £5350 and the tally is still increasing. :)

Feeling the effects now mind.

• 4 months later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/15/fa-national-football-day-bobby-robson

FA to name National Football Day after Sir Bobby Robson

• FA to honour Robson as part of 150th anniversary celebrations

• Day will fall on 10 August and promote grassroots football

Daniel Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 15 January 2013 22.30 GMT

Sir Bobby Robson is to be commemorated with a National Football Day named in his honour. The event, to be announced on Wednesday as part of the Football Association's 150th anniversary celebrations, will be held on 10 August to coincide with the start of the 2013-14 season, four days before England play Scotland at Wembley.

Senior figures at the FA have been consulting with Robson's widow, Elsie, and intend to involve around 150 different clubs at all levels, with the idea being to promote grassroots football.

A similar event was held on the day of England's opening World Cup match against the USA in 2010 but this time the FA will name it "Sir Bobby Robson Day" to mark his popularity and commitment to the sport.

"I'm thrilled that the FA is involving my family," Elsie said. "Bob launched his cancer charity [the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation] in 2008 and right from the start the FA has been on hand to support us. He'd have loved this and I think it's very fitting as it will be a day celebrating and encouraging grassroots football. Bob never lost his own boyish enthusiasm for the game no matter what was happening off the field."

Robson died in 2009, aged 76, after a long battle against cancer, having been in football for more than 60 years. There are statues of him outside St James' Park and Portman Road, marking his time at Newcastle United and Ipswich Town, and the FA wanted to do something in honour of the man who took the national team to the World Cup semi-finals of Italia 90 as well as the quarter-finals four years earlier in Mexico.

"Bob just didn't feel he could turn his country down when he was approached," Elsie said. "For him, it was a huge honour to be asked and he never took the role for granted. Every game and every result meant the world to him and I think it's that passion and commitment which people remember so fondly now.

"He was at the helm of the national side for eight years – and they were eight very challenging years. He missed the week-in week-out of club football, the kind of adrenalin that comes with that, but it really was the pinnacle of his career. He was so close to success in Mexico and Italy and he loved working with the England players."

:)

Guest Roger Kint

Great news and a nice show of respect, shame SSN didnt say anything during their hour long Beckham coverage this morning.