Lasting SBR Memorial

ianovthetoon

There's an article in today's Chronicle discussing options for a lasting memorial to SBR. Things being mooted are a statue and renaming one of the stands. I  know there's already a thread about the first game, but what do people think we should do to honour SBR in a manner he would have appreciated. He wasn't a vain person so I think the naming of a stand should be ruled out. It also mentions that Shepherd is prepared to pay for the statue should the club not be able to.

Personally, an annual tournament/ one off game involving sides SBR was associated with would be the most appropriate. He lived for football, and playing in his name each year would certainly be the best way to remember him.

There's also mention of a memorial service, possibly at Durham Cathedral. Perhaps the club should organise something at SJP so fans not just from here but all around the world can come and pay homage to the man one last time.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Statue in the city centre more so than around the game

He was a decent manager, didnt win anything though, and i would probably put Keegan above him in terms of success

Never played for the club

What he was was a very good NUFC manager who absolutely adored the club as a fan.

He is more a symbol of the north east than he is of NUFC

It is very raw at the moment but when the dust settles i think everyone will agree

Milburn

Shearer

Harvey

Keegan

have done more for the club

It also mentions that Shepherd is prepared to pay for the statue should the club not be able to.

Pardon me whilst I puke. A more blatant attempt to curry favour with the fans I can't imagine. It's really annoying that he should be using this occasion to do that.

He sacked the bloke and, according to Sir Bob himself, undermined him at every turn. He should pay his respects and then shut up.

My mates mother mentioned a statue at the Freeman Hospital - I personally think that that's a canny idea as his battles with cancer never stopped him from doing anything - It would be a very motivational thing to have for anyone visiting their.

Alternatively I think a Sir Bobby tournament would be great, like someone said involving the clubs he was involved with - with all proceedings going to the SBR Foundation. That way his name lives on and his charity benefit.

The Sir Bobby Robson Academy and the Bobby Robson Foundation on the back of our shirts.

An annual tournament to raise funds for a number of local charities (not just the BRF) would also be a good idea.

Of course the best tribute the players could give is to get promoted in style but that aint happening any time soon

The Sir Bobby Robson Academy and the Bobby Robson Foundation on the back of our shirts.

An annual tournament to raise funds for a number of local charities (not just the BRF) would also be a good idea.

Of course the best tribute the players could give is to get promoted in style but that aint happening any time soon

Not entirely sure we can get the SBRF on the shirts, there is an issue of exclusitivity, so unless we get a Randy Lerner or a Barca it is unlikely that will happen.

I'm fully behind the academy though.

Love the youth academy idea, easily the best of a good bunch of ideas.

Reckon we should hold an annual under 18's SBR tournament in the summer with Newcastle, Barca, Porto, PSV & Ipswich being invited to field the best of their youth while all under 16's can attend for free (accompanied by an adult of course)

Get the youth watching the youth, i'm sure he'd appreciate that.

I think there's lots of good ideas here but I'm really keen on the idea of a tournament. It could be contested by Newcastle, Barcelona, PSV and Porto and the venue could alternate between the four teams every year, or maybe other year.

(Yes, the choice of teams rather than Ipswich/West Brom/Fulham is because the trips away would be class)

Not entirely sure we can get the SBRF on the shirts, there is an issue of exclusitivity, so unless we get a Randy Lerner or a Barca it is unlikely that will happen.

I'm sure I've seen Championship teams with > 1 sponsor.

Just under the players name would look class imo.

I really couldn't see NR having an issue with it either

I think if it's going to be an annual event you would have to limit the teams to 4 but rotate them year on year. Other clubs have annual tournaments (Amsterdam trophy etc), so there's no reason why we can't host one. I just think if all teams were involved each year it would go a bit stale after the first couple.

The fact that SBR passed away in a period that is pretty much pre-season for all of the clubs he has been associated with also means that this tournament can mark the anniversary of his death year on year.

Statue in the city centre more so than around the game

He was a decent manager, didnt win anything though, and i would probably put Keegan above him in terms of success

Never played for the club

What he was was a very good NUFC manager who absolutely adored the club as a fan.

He is more a symbol of the north east than he is of NUFC

It is very raw at the moment but when the dust settles i think everyone will agree

Milburn

Shearer

Harvey

Keegan

have done more for the club

And what exactly have Shearer and Keegan won for the club if you're going to judge SBR by that standard?

I'm sure I've seen Championship teams with > 1 sponsor.

Just under the players name would look class imo.

I really couldn't see NR having an issue with it either

no I'm sure Nile will be cool with it. :thup: