Managerial choices if/when Ashley decides to stay

Dave

Rather have Hughton.  Provides some stability in training and knows the players.  Ashley can reward his loyalty and see what he can do when he isn't thrown in at the deep end. 

Fuck that, at least JFK would tell them off

Has David O'Leary ever managed in the lower leagues? My recollection of him is of being one of the most incompetent twats ever to get a job, if that's unfair I'd appreciate if someone could point out his qualities.

Has David O'Leary ever managed in the lower leagues? My recollection of him is of being one of the most incompetent twats ever to get a job, if that's unfair I'd appreciate if someone could point out his qualities.

CL finish (and semi-final) with Leeds and top 6 with Villa...

I think he inherited good players in both situations. As soon as he had to operate on a budget at Villa the team performances sunk like a stone.

How about Richard Money then? He has done more than the rest of the coaching staff since joining the club and would definitely give chance for youngsters to prove themselves :rolleyes:

Has some decent man management and motivational skills as he can keep the youth players happy even they know they won't be playing first team football this season either

I think he inherited good players in both situations. As soon as he had to operate on a budget at Villa the team performances sunk like a stone.

I don't know tbh. Never really rated him and I know brummie doesn't either. Don't think he ever did anything as bad as say, Souness did here mind. Regardless of the squad you inherit a CL semi-final is something to shout about.

And then promptly drop dead from a heart attack or abuse a journalist.  He is an embarrassment.  Old, out of touch, unhealthy and a total liability. 

Hughton is, by most accounts, a good young coach.  He could quite easily have quit and found a stable coaching job in the Premiership.  He didn't.  We've asked him to fill in several times now, so let's just let him continue but give him some actual authority with which to do his job.  After all, we are crossing our fingers and hoping that Andy Carroll, Kader, Baheng etc. are Championship quality players so let's appoint Hughton and see if he is a Championship quality manager.  I might get the Patrick Stewart facepalm, but I'd honestly rather take my chances with Hughton than appoint O'Leary, Kinnear, El Tel, John Gregory or whatever washed up mid-90s ex-manager Ashley can humiliate us with. 

How about Richard Money then? He has done more than the rest of the coaching staff since joining the club and would definitely give chance for youngsters to prove themselves :rolleyes:

Has some decent man management and motivational skills as he can keep the youth players happy even they know they won't be playing first team football this season either

Not a bad shout that you kbow and let Pedro run the youth setup, at least Money will give the young lads a chance as well.

And then promptly drop dead from a heart attack or abuse a journalist.  He is an embarrassment.  Old, out of touch, unhealthy and a total liability. 

Hughton is, by most accounts, a good young coach.  He could quite easily have quit and found a stable coaching job in the Premiership.  He didn't.  We've asked him to fill in several times now, so let's just let him continue but give him some actual authority with which to do his job.  After all, we are crossing our fingers and hoping that Andy Carroll, Kader, Baheng etc. are Championship quality players so let's appoint Hughton and see if he is a Championship quality manager.  I might get the Patrick Stewart facepalm, but I'd honestly rather take my chances with Hughton than appoint O'Leary, Kinnear, El Tel, John Gregory or whatever washed up mid-90s ex-manager Ashley can humiliate us with. 

He has said he is not a manager and is just a coach. And he is 50, not that young. Bottom line is somebody who is a manager has to come in

He has said he is not a manager and is just a coach. And he is 50, not that young. Bottom line is somebody who is a manager has to come in

I love a good bottom line, shame ashley always takes it lower each season.

Hughton is a non-starter. He looks like he's constantly shitting himself as it is...can you imagine him having the added responsibility of buying and selling players? Let's get real here.

Hughton is a non-starter. He looks like he's constantly shitting himself as it is...can you imagine him having the added responsibility of buying and selling players? Let's get real here.

If I was a coach and my incompetent employer kept asking me to become a stopgap manager of a largely talentless group of players for an indefinite period of time, in a relegation battle, with no remit to buy players or make big changes to a losing team, I would probably look the same way.

I'm not saying he would be anybody's first choice, but he is a more practical and far less embarrassing alternative to David O'Leary or Joe Kinnear or Terry Veneables.  Neither of whom will be likely to move over when Ashley finally goes (whenever that may be).  There is a reason that normal clubs don't touch these guys with a barge pole.  If you can't sell the club, any decision you make will be unpopular and risky since no good managers will want the job.  Stick with Hughton and give him some authority with the players instead of labeling him an 'interim' boss. 

If I was a coach and my incompetent employer kept asking me to become a stopgap manager of a largely talentless group of players for an indefinite period of time, in a relegation battle, with no remit to buy players or make big changes to a losing team, I would probably look the same way.

I'm not saying he would be anybody's first choice, but he is a more practical and far less embarrassing alternative to David O'Leary or Joe Kinnear or Terry Veneables.  Neither of whom will be likely to move over when Ashley finally goes (whenever that may be).  There is a reason that normal clubs don't touch these guys with a barge pole.  If you can't sell the club, any decision you make will be unpopular and risky since no good managers will want the job.  Stick with Hughton and give him some authority with the players instead of labeling him an 'interim' boss. 

Venables might attract the media, but he's got far more nous than Hughton, making us far less likely to be embarassing on the pitch.

I think O'Leary could probably get one last shot at redemption too, put right his past mistakes. Would be a risk.

Agree that Kinnear would be more embarassing though.

At Leeds, O'Leary inherited a great academy (with the likes of Kewell and Woodgate) rather than an overly strong squad I think. Yes, he wasn't initially responsible for this influx of talent, but O'Leary nonetheless deserves a bit of credit for bringing them into the first team and allowing them to grow as players. With the likes of Lua Lua, Ranger, Kadar and Vuckic in similar positions at the moment, they might be given more of a crack and add some much needed energy to the team.

I wouldn't mind O'Leary as manager if I'm honest. His track record is fairly decent and he'll probably take the job regardless of the shit we now find ourselves in. He is a complete wanker however, which may pose a slightly minor issue  :rolleyes:

At Leeds, O'Leary inherited a great academy (with the likes of Kewell and Woodgate) rather than an overly strong squad I think. Yes, he wasn't initially responsible for this influx of talent, but O'Leary nonetheless deserves a bit of credit for bringing them into the first team and allowing them to grow as players. With the likes of Lua Lua, Ranger, Kadar and Vuckic in similar positions at the moment, they might be given more of a crack and add some much needed energy to the team.

I wouldn't mind O'Leary as manager if I'm honest. His track record is fairly decent and he'll probably take the job regardless of the s*** we now find ourselves in. He is a complete w***** however, which may pose a slightly minor issue  :rolleyes:

o'leary did do a decent job @ leeds to be fair to him, but he couldn't have done it without eddie gray, it was gray's youth team with the likes of kewell, woodgate, smith, robinson, harte that gave him the backbone of his team

I wouldn't mind O'Leary as manager if I'm honest. His track record is fairly decent and he'll probably take the job regardless of the s*** we now find ourselves in. He is a complete w***** however, which may pose a slightly minor issue  :rolleyes:

o'leary did do a decent job @ leeds to be fair to him, but he couldn't have done it without eddie gray, it was gray's youth team with the likes of kewell, woodgate, smith, robinson, harte that gave him the backbone of his team

But was it not O'Leary who gave these players places in the first team? I'm not disagreeing with you; the youth system that Leeds had at the time, independent of O'Leary, was very, very strong. But I think it was O'Leary who let these players go up to the next level and gave them the opportunity to fulfil their potential.

I would honestly be happy with any of Curbs, Strachan, O'leary or if the chouice was between him and keep Hughton then Vegatables. I would not be happy with  JFK or making Hughton boss.

aye, very true. they did kick on very well in his team. i remember smith going on a scoring run at the beginning of their champions league season, i'm sure he got something like 7 in 9 games or so. at the very least o'leary's saw alan smith score a goal for a team he was managing  :pow:

Whoever it is (if the club even bother to appoint a manager) will be totally hamstrung from day one with that crazy bastard Mike Ashley as the owner.

The only positive of relegation was the idea that the club would try to sort itself out from top to bottom. Instead things have got a whole lot worse. Just when we think things can't get any worse they do. Shearer said each day that goes by another room burns. Unless NUFC is the biggest hotel in the world I don't think there are many rooms left unburned.  :facepalm:

http://www.tottfanzine.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=1812

Firstly, can I apologise for this being my first post (cue the abuse and all the rest of it!) but you need to know this immediately.

I am a freelance football writer and have this story lined up on SSN at around 10:30 with a telephone interview if all goes to plan, however, I am chucking it around a few forums as well.

It seems Mr Mike Ashley is trying his hand at bringing in someone who knows the club, Paul Bracewell assisted in an advisory capacity by Stan Ternent (an unpaid temporary position apparently, not confirmed as yet). This apparently is to bring in some stability to the club in the short term and to also distance comments made by Mr Joe Kinnear earlier this morning about being offered the job.

If successful, Bracewell will attend the Hawthorns on Saturday with Ternent as spectators with Hughton and Calderwood keeping control of team affairs for the Championship opener. Bracewell and Ternent will then assume their position on Monday morning.

All these daft rumours are getting silly now.