The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

I never bet on Scottish teams now, the whole league was a lottery apart from the Old Firm ever since I started, but now even they are drawing and losing all over the place.

I had a nice little bet on Rangers/Hibs for a draw last week. That was a nailed on result imo, decent odds as well.

This is one for the stats maniacs: a friend today told me he believes that if Pedro scores in the Club World Cup (or whatever crap the Intercontinental Cup is called nowadays), he will become the first European player to score across all competitions (Domestic League, Domestic Cup, Champion's League, Domestic/European/Intercontinental Supercups) in a single season. Of course Barça would need to drop to the UEFA Cup (god forbid) after the group stage in order to claim he's done it on all playable tournaments inside a single season... but do you know of any player that has achieved something like that? I know Inzaghi has scored in all competitions, but that was across several seasons isn't it?

Village Idiot

The Guardian has a very enjoyable column named "The Knowledge", in which all these trivial/interesting football questions are asked and answered either by The Guardian researchers or the readers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/theknowledge

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/footballers-pseudonyms-outside-agents

Email your question to [email protected]

Good luck !

This (Arsenal vs Liverpool) has been a good match. Much less of the usual hype and cheating, lots of promising young players, some nice football played by both teams and a couple of great goals.

For once, David, we can agree. It was great stuff.

Kieron Gibbs impresses me every time I see him. This World Cup will probably be too soon for him, but he is sheer class. I quite liked the other full back as well, Gilbert.

Gilbert is a strage one, I remember him being in the first team a few seasons ago, think he may have played the odd game at left-back too, then went out on loan and just dropped off the radar.

This (Arsenal vs Liverpool) has been a good match. Much less of the usual hype and cheating, lots of promising young players, some nice football played by both teams and a couple of great goals.

Kieron Gibbs impresses me every time I see him. This World Cup will probably be too soon for him, but he is sheer class. I quite liked the other full back as well, Gilbert.

Gilbert is a strage one, I remember him being in the first team a few seasons ago, think he may have played the odd game at left-back too, then went out on loan and just dropped off the radar.

Kieran Gibbs WILL be the best left back in the world. Guaranteed.

Gibbs is really good, unfortunately this World Cup imo is a year too soon for him (an Arsenal fan i know at Uni is sure he will be going) I've always really liked Gilbert but Arsene doesn't seem to! Been out on loan quite a bit failing to impress at most when he played for Arsenal first team (third time now i think) he has always looked good! The first two times were about 3 years ago!

Oh and Nasri was my MOTM not Ramsey (He was very good though)

Nasri is a brilliant player, he's still developing and he will top, top clas in my opinion.

Is Clichy the next big Arsenal star to get sold, and replaced by a youngster? (excluding Cesc of course :aww:)

Kerrea Gilbert? He was shit for Cardiff iirc.

Going to watch to Club Deportivo Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba v Estudiantes La Plata in the Argentian Primera tonight...should be good, Veron still plays for Estudiantes who are representing Sth America in World Club Cup this year.

Going to watch to Club Deportivo Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba v Estudiantes La Plata in the Argentian Primera tonight...should be good, Veron still plays for Estudiantes who are representing Sth America in World Club Cup this year.

Was a good game.

Estudiantes will get raped by Barca in the world club championship though, they were appalling. Two set pieces two goals. They won 2-1. Although Godoy Cruz should have been 2 or 3 up by that point. Number 10 for GC - Chavez was the only player who stood out as any good.

Worst refereeing performance i think i have ever seen and ive been going to football since 1993. Biased toward Estudiantes doesnt come close, the FK leading to the winning goal was barely even contact never mind a fk and then in stoppage time he sent two GC players for dissent and persistant fouling respectively, both straight reds. Lots of hijo de putas from the home crowd. Pretty much the only insult they have for people over here.

Atmosphere was very impressive despite it being half full. Constant noise from both fans. Approx a third of the fans behind the goal came in following a band when the team kicked off, i assume these were the ultras as they atmosphere started when they arrived.

Most ive ever been searching going into a game too.

Hoping to go to Rosario Central v Boca on Sunday and a further game in Buenos Aires in the following weeks.

Some photos...first of the home fans, second of the teams, third is my bonce infront of the Estudiantes fans - not a bad turn out for a 20hr journey on a Tues night.

http://www.stefandmark.heydecke.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dsc07579.jpg

http://www.stefandmark.heydecke.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dsc07580.jpg

http://www.stefandmark.heydecke.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dsc07581.jpg

Kerrea Gilbert? He was shit for Cardiff iirc.

Aye that's the one.

These two look like good teams tbh, both will finish in the top 6 imo.

Thinking about it, you can take a lot of heart from the fact that despite being depleted in both games, we beat Leicester and should have beaten QPR.

Was a good game.

Estudiantes will get raped by Barca in the world club championship though, they were appalling. Two set pieces two goals. They won 2-1. Although Godoy Cruz should have been 2 or 3 up by that point. Number 10 for GC - Chavez was the only player who stood out as any good.

Worst refereeing performance i think i have ever seen and ive been going to football since 1993. Biased toward Estudiantes doesnt come close, the FK leading to the winning goal was barely even contact never mind a fk and then in stoppage time he sent two GC players for dissent and persistant fouling respectively, both straight reds. Lots of hijo de putas from the home crowd. Pretty much the only insult they have for people over here.

Atmosphere was very impressive despite it being half full. Constant noise from both fans. Approx a third of the fans behind the goal came in following a band when the team kicked off, i assume these were the ultras as they atmosphere started when they arrived.

Most ive ever been searching going into a game too.

Hoping to go to Rosario Central v Boca on Sunday and a further game in Buenos Aires in the following weeks.

Some photos...first of the home fans, second of the teams, third is my bonce infront of the Estudiantes fans - not a bad turn out for a 20hr journey on a Tues night.

Is that you wearing your Newcastle United top?  :lol:

Guest Heneage

Hopefully we don't sell Adel when he returns. Even in his cameo appearances for us he was very good.

When did he actually join them? Could we not have got him with the Bassong deal? If so I'm really annoyed, Taarabt and Dos Santos would have given us so much more in midfield.

Fryatt makes it 2-1 just what we need.

Hopefully we don't sell Adel when he returns. Even in his cameo appearances for us he was very good.

When did he actually join them? Could we not have got him with the Bassong deal? If so I'm really annoyed, Taarabt and Dos Santos would have given us so much more in midfield.

Would either of them have scored as many goals as fat kev & his trusty big swinger? There is no denying they would be easier on the eye but I am not sure if they would have given us more goals.

We could have played one of them wide and one of them alongside Nolan.

In a 5 midfield? Cos Smith has to play. In for Jonas? Cos Guthrie has not played like a traditional winger but he has scored & created from that right position.

We could have played one of them wide and one of them alongside Nolan.

In a 5 midfield? Cos Smith has to play. In for Jonas? Cos Guthrie has not played like a traditional winger but he has scored & created from that right position.

Smith definetly doesn't have to play.