The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

So I'm sitting here watching this match and finding it hard to believe that someone who frequents this board has claimed Dunne is the worst defender in the premiership. Absolutely laughable really. Not to mention this same person has claimed Darren Bent was incapable of playing upfront with a strike partner and he could only play alone upfront ... I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean.

Also, Milner is still unspeakably average. I mean seriously ... the guy is almost painful to watch the majority of the time.

Agree with all of that. Only thing I'd add is that Milner is EPL average. He hasn't risen to the next level of superstar winger like some hoped, but he's definitely still solidly the quality of a starter as a winger in the EPL.

Like I always say about Milner ... what does he actually do well. The only thing I honestly feel he provides that is good is an outstanding workrate, which is valuable of course, but my goodness his crossing is below good at this point, his dribbling is clumsy a lot of the time and his passing is just about okay. He can shoot pretty well actually, but is not in decent positions often enough to exploit this.

Guest kingdawson

So I'm sitting here watching this match and finding it hard to believe that someone who frequents this board has claimed Dunne is the worst defender in the premiership. Absolutely laughable really. Not to mention this same person has claimed Darren Bent was incapable of playing upfront with a strike partner and he could only play alone upfront ... I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean.

Also, Milner is still unspeakably average. I mean seriously ... the guy is almost painful to watch the majority of the time.

Then you're borderline retarded. What bit of that is hard to understand?

Wow Dunne's having a good game, what does that prove?

I'd take Milner back in an instant

Like Smith and Nolan would look a much better player in the championship, yes.

That wasn't the point I was making, i'd have him back even if we were in the premiership.

He's better than anything we have now on the right wing.

Why resort to personal insults? I'll tell you why ... it's because you're feeling a bit embarrassed about the silly claims you made in the first place. Retarded? Really? Please ... that's weak.

Darren Bent is arguably the most in form striker in the premiership this season and has been outstanding alongside both Kenwyne Jones and Fraizer Campbell. Just because he was leaving Tottenham you tried to make out he wasn't that good and he could only play upfront alone, which is such a silly thing to say really.

You claim Dunne is the worst defender in the premiership ... I mean I don't even have to say anything else to that. It's that silly. Check out their defensive record and get back to me. He is well above the average level of centre backs in the league. It's an outrageous claim on your part.

Thought both teams looked decent, Man City need someone to direct their defence a bit (like, say, Dunne instead of Toure) but had loads of possession and eventually broke them down, Villa looked better than I've seen them this season. They're not the prettiest side in the world, but got players behind the ball and pressed quite well. Their defence looks solid, but I can wind my Villa wife up by asking her which set-piece they're going to rely on for goals in any given game. Still pretty one-dimensional.

Tevez just didn't work for City, but Bellamy looked canny, as did both left-backs. Dunne and Collins did well, and I thought Milner was fine, he knows his limitations and just gets on with it. Agbonlahor is still the thickest player I have ever seen.

As much as Dunne got all the plaudits for his goal and being an ex Citizen, I thought James Collins was outstanding tonight. He made probably over twenty or thirty crucial blocks and interceptions and dominared aerially.

Lots on here said he was average when MON signed him, he's had a good start to his Villa career from what I've seen of him.

Thought both teams looked decent, Man City need someone to direct their defence a bit (like, say, Dunne instead of Toure) but had loads of possession and eventually broke them down, Villa looked better than I've seen them this season. They're not the prettiest side in the world, but got players behind the ball and pressed quite well. Their defence looks solid, but I can wind my Villa wife up by asking her which set-piece they're going to rely on for goals in any given game. Still pretty one-dimensional.

Tevez just didn't work for City, but Bellamy looked canny, as did both left-backs. Dunne and Collins did well, and I thought Milner was fine, he knows his limitations and just gets on with it. Agbonlahor is still the thickest player I have ever seen.

Agbonahor can be very frustrating, agreed.

Agbonahor can be very frustrating, agreed.

There was a lovely moment near the end when he lost the ball and the commentator said he "doesn't do well in those situations" - i.e. when he has to think.

As much as Dunne got all the plaudits for his goal and being an ex Citizen, I thought James Collins was outstanding tonight. He made probably over twenty or thirty crucial blocks and interceptions and dominared aerially.

Lots on here said he was average when MON signed him, he's had a good start to his Villa career from what I've seen of him.

Two good, solid defenders. Have fashioned a really strong partnership right off the bat. Warnock, although not spectacular is also solid and has been an upgrade for Villa at that position. Their defence is going to be one of the best this season if they all stay fit.

I didn't think Santa Cruz was that bad - isn't this his first game back? Nothing Tevz did worked and he barely won a ball - at least Santa Cruz won it in the air a few times.

No, he came on in their last game before this and missed a sitter, thought he was ok today.

Tevez & Bellamy the sort of players every fan would love at there club but f***ing hold a postion the pair are f***ing clueless.

When you're as good on the ball as Bellamy is, you afford to drop deep and wide

Guest kingdawson

Why resort to personal insults? I'll tell you why ... it's because you're feeling a bit embarrassed about the silly claims you made in the first place. Retarded? Really? Please ... that's weak.

Darren Bent is arguably the most in form striker in the premiership this season and has been outstanding alongside both Kenwyne Jones and Fraizer Campbell. Just because he was leaving Tottenham you tried to make out he wasn't that good and he could only play upfront alone, which is such a silly thing to say really.

You claim Dunne is the worst defender in the premiership ... I mean I don't even have to say anything else to that. It's that silly. Check out their defensive record and get back to me. He is well above the average level of centre backs in the league. It's an outrageous claim on your part.

I'm feeling embarrassed?  :facepalm:

I made the Dunne comment before last season had started and what happened? he proceeded to have one of the worst performances of any cb in this league.  What's weird is that you were strangely quiet about Dunne when he was having shocker after shocker, and one good game a whole season after and you're boasting about it :lol: Btw i think i said Dunee was one of the worst cb's in the league.

As for Bent....why do you constantly feel the need to twist things to prove a point? I've been saying for ages on here that Darren Bent can't play in a partnership (ever since Berbs was around). I'm sure the more honest posters on here will back this up, so please don't try and make it out like i only said it when he was leaving :rolleyes: As for the statement itself, it quite probably was our style of play that was holding him back but he didn't gel with either Keane, Berbatov, Defoe or Pav. Add to that he didn't play with a partner at Charlton and looked poor playing with another striker whenever he was called up for England.  Sunderland are a more direct team than we are so i guess that system suits him more. I probably was to hasty dismissing his ability to work in a partnership though but i still believe he plays better when he works the channels and is the furthest forward (btw i'm not even 100% sure he is actually playing in a standard 4-4-2 partnership with Jones at Sunderland).

The difference between me and you is i admit when i'm wrong. You say fuck all when you're being proven wrong week after week then show up when the player your backing has a good game.

I'm feeling embarrassed?  :facepalm:

I made the Dunne comment before last season had started and what happened? he proceeded to have one of the worst performances of any cb in this league.  What's weird is that you were strangely quiet about Dunne when he was having shocker after shocker, and one good game a whole season after and you're boasting about it :lol: Btw i think i said Dunee was one of the worst cb's in the league.

As for Bent....why do you constantly feel the need to twist things to prove a point? I've been saying for ages on here that Darren Bent can't play in a partnership (ever since Berbs was around). I'm sure the more honest posters on here will back this up, so please don't try and make it out like i only said it when he was leaving :rolleyes: As for the statement itself, it quite probably was our style of play that was holding him back but he didn't gel with either Keane, Berbatov, Defoe or Pav. Add to that he didn't play with a partner at Charlton and looked poor playing with another striker whenever he was called up for England.  Sunderland are a more direct team than we are so i guess that system suits him more. I probably was to hasty dismissing his ability to work in a partnership though but i still believe he plays better when he works the channels and is the furthest forward (btw i'm not even 100% sure he is actually playing in a standard 4-4-2 partnership with Jones at Sunderland).

The difference between me and you is i admit when i'm wrong. You say f*** all when you're being proven wrong week after week then show up when the player your backing has a good game.

Which Dunne shockers was I quiet about? Dunne is a good solid defender who makes the odd mistake and not even frequently. I really don't understand where you are coming from with Dunne.

What was I wrong about though? I actually don't have a problem with being proved wrong if I make a claim that is dodgy. I just found your Dunne and Bent claims that shocking that everytime I see them play I can't help but remember really.

I'd take Milner back in an instant

Like Smith and Nolan would look a much better player in the championship, yes.

That wasn't the point I was making, i'd have him back even if we were in the premiership.

He's better than anything we have now on the right wing.

We only sold Milner because we got an offer for £12m for him. Even if we failed to replace him I still think that's the best price he'll fetch in his career.