The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Village Idiot, thoughts on the Mallorca game? Can we expect a goal-fest or could it be a frustrating night for Spain's finest?

Mallorca are on top form, but they play positive football and we seem to only be struggling against sides that play deep and leave no space on the last third (Kazan, Osasuna, Almería...). We should win.

Village Idiot, thoughts on the Mallorca game? Can we expect a goal-fest or could it be a frustrating night for Spain's finest?

Mallorca are on top form, but they play positive football and we seem to only be struggling against sides that play deep and leave no space on the last third (Kazan, Osasuna, Almería...). We should win.

Chelsea last year and Rubin this year (Chelsea did beat you, btw)have defeated Barca with this style of play+extra physicality, which is totally fair, and something you'd think would be likely to be picked up and used by pther clubs.

Sunderland-supporting friend of mine complaining about how much bad luck they had today. As far as I can see, they missed their chances (according to BBC the penalty was tame)?

Also, he's conveniently forgetting the Blackburn game they barely deserved a draw from let alone the win, and also Beachballgate.

Perhaps luck does even itself out?

Am I right in thinking Bent misses quite a few penalties?

Speaking of penalties, keep an eye out for Milners goal..

Sunderland-supporting friend of mine complaining about how much bad luck they had today. As far as I can see, they missed their chances (according to BBC the penalty was tame)?

Also, he's conveniently forgetting the Blackburn game they barely deserved a draw from let alone the win, and also Beachballgate.

Bruce said a few weeks ago [on Jones taking the second pen against Wolves instead of Bent again]

"I don't think Darren's ever missed a pen in his life"

Nothing like jinxing it, eh Steve?

Bruce said a few weeks ago [on Jones taking the second pen against Wolves instead of Bent again]

"I don't think Darren's ever missed a pen in his life"

Nothing like jinxing it, eh Steve?

How about that! Don't know from where I've got that from, but apparently I was wrong :)

They didn't really have that much bad luck - certainly not considering the good luck of Harry starting 433 with Keane, Defoe and Crouch on the same pitch. That and Bent dived for the pen. They just should have won.

It evens out the Stoke match for us too - we should have scored 5 or 6 and lost. Que sera sera.

Guest firetotheworks

I was going to say that Wolves would do better with actual wolves in their defence, but when I think about it that would actually be quite effective.

Guest firetotheworks

Barca aren't the team that they were last season from what I've seen. Tbf though, I dont think any team is, or will be for a very, very long time.

You can tell Mallorca aren't short on confidence - trying a volley from the edge of the area from a corner.

VI - is Dani Alves injured?

He's still not fully recovered from his last injury, he played against Kazan but I understand Guardiola wants to play it safe with him.