The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

i'd even say thierry henry at his arsenal peak was more complete than drogba is now - more clinical finisher, far more creative, better first touch and wider range of skill and vision. drogba has a lot in his locker but his first touch and finishing are still awful at times. for me if youve got those weaknesses then you're not complete - drogba is lucky he is so powerful as it compensates for those aspects of his game. i also reckon anelka is a more 'rounded' player in that he is good at just about everything and has no glaring weaknesses, but he's not on the level of drogba because he's not really exceptional at anything, unlike drogba.

i'd even say thierry henry at his arsenal peak was more complete than drogba is now - more clinical finisher, far more creative, better first touch and wider range of skill and vision. drogba has a lot in his locker but his first touch and finishing are still awful at times. for me if youve got those weaknesses then you're not complete - drogba is lucky he is so powerful as it compensates for those aspects of his game. i also reckon anelka is a more 'rounded' player in that he is good at just about everything and has no glaring weaknesses, but he's not on the level of drogba because he's not really exceptional at anything, unlike drogba.

Drogba's first touch and fniishing awful? Sorry but that is just not true inhe slightest. Drogba is outstanding at controlling any sort of ball put into him and bringing others into play. And his finishing?  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Drogba's first touch and fniishing awful? Sorry but that is just not true inhe slightest. Drogba is outstanding at controlling any sort of ball put into him and bringing others into play. And his finishing?   :lol:

Im not usually one for fighting other peoples battles, but maybe you missed the bit in bold.

Henry was/is shit in the air though. Drogba's more complete for me as he can play the targetman as well as being your standard, pacy forward. Henry plays the latter role better, but for my money Didier covers more bases with his game.

Drogba's first touch and fniishing awful? Sorry but that is just not true inhe slightest. Drogba is outstanding at controlling any sort of ball put into him and bringing others into play. And his finishing?   :lol:

"at times". he can finish something brilliantly but there's too many times when he ihits howlers. can't see how that's up for debate tbh. as for first touch, that can also be a bit dodgy, it's not poor, but he makes up for it with pace, strength, power. and while it can be good it is not and never will be at a berbatov, bergkamp, henry, ronaldo (fat one) level.

Drogba's first touch and fniishing awful? Sorry but that is just not true inhe slightest. Drogba is outstanding at controlling any sort of ball put into him and bringing others into play. And his finishing?   :lol:

Im not usually one for fighting other peoples battles, but maybe you missed the bit in bold.

I consider it strange that someone would highlight two of Drogba's greatest strengths being 'awful' at times. Maybe if the time is 2% of the time? Like it or not Drogba has it all and there are very few players that I have seen that have had such a high level of everything in their game.

Shearer before the Everton pre-season injury could:

Head a ball, to score, better than any striker I've ever seen;

had good pace;

had excellent touch;

scored from distance in open-play;

scored from distance at free-kicks;

took tap-ins with aplomb;

was totally committed to his team;

crossed with accuracy;

held the ball up well;

brought team-mates into the game improving the performance of the team;

took stick.

So there are three reasons in my opinion why he was better than Drogba is. Close though.

Guest firetotheworks

Henry was/is s*** in the air though. Drogba's more complete for me as he can play the targetman as well as being your standard, pacy forward. Henry plays the latter role better, but for my money Didier covers more bases with his game.

So did Aaron Hughes, so does Jermain Jenas. At their best half decent at everything. Drogba's the same but at obviously a much higher level. The point being that it means fuck all unless you can either use every single one of them effectively at the top or have other attributes that are at the very pinnacle and mean your weaknesses are never exposed. Fat Ronaldo is still the most complete, and the best striker Ive ever seen, he wasn't all that in the air, but he had the most attributes that were at the very pinnacle, and by quite some distance.

Henry was/is shit in the air though. Drogba's more complete for me as he can play the targetman as well as being your standard, pacy forward. Henry plays the latter role better, but for my money Didier covers more bases with his game.

Henry was fantastic when he played lone striker in 2006 when arsenal got the cl final. Drogba is wasted as a lone striker and is much better when he has someone like anelka doing lots of work for him. Henry isn't great in the air, but to me drogba's weaknesses make him less of a 'complete striker'. I'd actually say Drogba is one of those players with 2 or 3 stand out attributes that make him fantastic, rather than one of those players who is good at everything and therefore complete.