Italian Serie A - 09/10

LucaAltieri

Season Juve         Torino

1990–91 43,114 33,990

1991–92 51,832 35,364

1992–93 45,868 26,814 Juventus UEFA Cup winners Torino Coppa Italia winners

1993–94 44,520 26,130

1994–95 47,866 22,205 Juventus Coppa Italia winners and Serie A winners

1995–96 41,946 20,284 Juventus UEFA Champions League winners and Italian Super Cup winners

1996–97 39,271 13,451 Juventus Serie A winners, European Super Cup winners, Intercontinental Cup winners and Italian Super Cup

1997–98 47,347 19,505 Juventus Serie A winners

1998–99 47,164 19,627

1999–00 42,229 21,857 Juventus Intertoto Cup winners

2000–01 41,273 17,077

2001–02 40,687 19,002 Juventus Serie A winners and Italian Super Cup winners

2002–03 39,771 14,870 Juventus Serie A winners and Italian Super Cup winners

2003–04 34,365 9,831

2004–05 26,429 10,003 Juventus Serie A*

2005–06 30,469 24,995

Guest ItalianMagpie

What kind of attendance did the Torino teams pull at the Delle Alpi? Can't believe a team that was playing in a 70k stadium (and is one of Europe's greats) can't even fill a 27k one at this time.

Funny, isn't it? :lol:

Why did they close and demolish the Delle Alpi? It was only built in 1990.

Rebuilding a new version at the same site without the running track as we speak. Only going to hold 41,000 though instead of being unnecessarily big, although as discussed that will be far too big also.

Rebuilding a new version at the same site without the running track as we speak. Only going to hold 41,000 though instead of being unnecessarily big, although as discussed that will be far too big also.

Aye but why knock down a bigger and better stadium? Surely it wasnt in ruin. seems a waste of money to me like.

Aye but why knock down a bigger and better stadium? Surely it wasnt in ruin. seems a waste of money to me like.

Fuck knows.

I know one liked the Delle Alpi originally as it was wank but as no-one seems to turn up at the ground they currently use it seems a bit of a waste of time.

f*** knows.

I know one liked the Delle Alpi originally as it was w*** but as no-one seems to turn up at the ground they currently use it seems a bit of a waste of time.

smaller,more intimate ground which may free us some land to sell/develop.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Bigger, but not better: it was uncomfortable, seats too far from the pitch, restricted view in too many sectors. It was relatively new, but it was part of the disgraceful set of works for the world cup in 1990, and so pretty useless and not properly designed.

Found this bit in the stadium's wikipedia entry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_delle_Alpi

Construction on the stadium began in June 1988, and due to the use of prefabricated concrete, was complete within two years. The delle Alpi was built by the council of Turin, with both of the city's football clubs using it as their home ground following the closure of the Stadio Olimpico. It was originally intended to be used for not only football, but also athletics, therefore an athletics track was constructed around the outside of the pitch. However, due to the lack of a warm up track, the stadium has never been used for a major athletics event.

:facepalm:

(First time I use this icon here, I think!)

Looks like Turin might learn something from the movement in the United States to build sport-specific stadia. In the fifites, sixties, and seventies municipalities built a lot of these huge concrete monstrosities that were supposed to host baseball, American football, soccer, concerts, and whatever else and they were uniformly unsuitable for anything.

Beginning in the 90s, I think, the baseball clubs began building baseball-specific ballparks-- Baltimore was the first, I think-- that were designed to highlight the game itself and these were very successful.

Here in the Bay Area, the San Francisco Giants  built a baseball-specific park to replace the notorious Candlestick Park-- remote, cavernous, cold and dilapidated, and their attendence shot up from an average of 20,000 a game to 40,000 a game --- even though the capacity of the new stadium was smaller.

Guest guinness_fiend

Just remembered Mourinho's record, could be under threat here.

Yeah, what is it now again? Best dressed manager since the Porto days?

FYP

i`m pretty fed up with this game now, the ref has f***ing ruined it totally.

These games used to be pretty good to watch, this has turned out to be a total mess

We always hear the stereotypes about Italian football and the bought referees, but how bad is it actually? I'm reading a book at the moment about an English bloke who follows Hellas Verona to every away game and he talks in depth about how convinced he is by the bias of referees (ironically, particularly to Inter on this occasion)

Is it actually as bad as what is made out?