Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Dunno if it's true but I'd be doing exactly the same in his position. Where's the ambition?

I'd say the club was lacking ambition if we hadn't accepted the deal, limiting ourselves to a stupidly overhyped, glorified battering ram of a striker who, if anything limited our style of play. We can get players a on a different level to AC with that cash. Seriously what is with the clamour for Carroll on here, he's not that good and never will be, he wasn't even the best player in our squad. What tools apart from heading does he really have to make it as a great player? His skill is average, as is his pace, intelligence and finishing. People need to give their heads a shake saying he was going to be a PL great (not specifically you Dave), after scoring 11 goals in one of the worst standard seasons in the league's history, a season where Leon Best has scored a hattrick and a newly promoted club has hit 5+ goals in 3 matches and lets not forget Kevin Nolan already has 10 goals as well. We now have a great chance to build a good footballing side with some higher level players, with this money we can get 6/7 Ben Afra/Tiote like signings ffs, If Andy Carroll had stayed we'd have been confined to alot of boring route 1 stuff and i wouldn't want a team to be built around him for long as he can only take you to a certain level as aplayer. Onwards and upwards i say.

Good luck with that.

Jesus H. Christ.

I'm sure that post is all just in our heads, it can't really have happened, can it?

Unbelievable.  6 or 7 Ben Arfa/Tiote-style signings?  On this day I weep for the tragic passing of reality-based arguments.

Firstly buying good players for minimal fees isn't hard like see Dembele, Afellay, VDV and Sessegnon for recent proof. Secondly i wasn't saying that 6/7 was a realistic outcome either, i was saying that in terms of price equivalence you 'CAN' (not will realistically) get that as those deals were around the 5m mark and 7 x 5 = 35.

Dunno if it's true but I'd be doing exactly the same in his position. Where's the ambition?

I'd say the club was lacking ambition if we hadn't accepted the deal, limiting ourselves to a stupidly overhyped, glorified battering ram of a striker who, if anything limited our style of play. We can get players a on a different level to AC with that cash. Seriously what is with the clamour for Carroll on here, he's not that good and never will be, he wasn't even the best player in our squad. What tools apart from heading does he really have to make it as a great player? His skill is average, as is his pace, intelligence and finishing. People need to give their heads a shake saying he was going to be a PL great (not specifically you Dave), after scoring 11 goals in one of the worst standard seasons in the league's history, a season where Leon Best has scored a hattrick and a newly promoted club has hit 5+ goals in 3 matches and lets not forget Kevin Nolan already has 10 goals as well. We now have a great chance to build a good footballing side with some higher level players, with this money we can get 6/7 Ben Afra/Tiote like signings ffs, If Andy Carroll had stayed we'd have been confined to alot of boring route 1 stuff and i wouldn't want a team to be built around him for long as he can only take you to a certain level as aplayer. Onwards and upwards i say.

Good luck with that.

Jesus H. Christ.

I'm sure that post is all just in our heads, it can't really have happened, can it?

Unbelievable.  6 or 7 Ben Arfa/Tiote-style signings?  On this day I weep for the tragic passing of reality-based arguments.

Firstly buying good players for minimal fees isn't hard like see Dembele, Afellay, VDV and Sessegnon for recent proof. Secondly i wasn't saying that 6/7 was a realistic outcome either, i was saying that in terms of price equivalence you 'CAN' (not will realistically) get that as those deals were around the 5m mark and 7 x 5 = 35.

And pay them nothing? Doubt they'll come.

Good luck with that.

Jesus H. Christ.

Unbelievable.  6 or 7 Ben Arfa/Tiote-style signings?  On this day I weep for the tragic passing of reality-based arguments.

And pay them nothing? Doubt they'll come.

Hence why i put 6 as well to allow an extra 5m in wages if that's how it will work.

Guest Tall Striker

Caulkin says that there will be a "quite positive" update on Barton's contract situation in tomorrows papers (from today's Pardew press conference).

Surely the only positive thing is that it's signed? Anything else just adds to the delay.

Caulkin says that there will be a "quite positive" update on Barton's contract situation in tomorrows papers (from today's Pardew press conference).

Surely the only positive thing is that it's signed? Anything else just adds to the delay.

Pardew's gone and bought some pens from WH Smith so Barton can sign the contract.

Pardew's gone and bought got some pens on loan from WH Smith so Barton can sign the contract.

Pardew's gone and bought got some pens on loan from WH Smith so Barton can sign the contract.

I think he might have just nicked one from the Post Office upstairs actually.

I think he might have just nicked one from the Post Office upstairs actually.

I'm not ITK or anything, but I've been told they were actually taken from Argos. O0

Exactly.  The bulk of the £35 million will go on wages, not transfer fees.  A five year, £40K per week contract costs over £10 million.  We will be lucky to spend £15 million on transfer fees this summer, on two to four players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1353870/Newcastle-Sunderland-Andy-Carroll-Darren-Bent-departures.html

Some interesting bits in there.

- Pardew hopes to announce Barton's new contract next week

- Enrique has asked for talks on his to be delayed under they are safe from relegation

- Has called Ben Arfa back from France in preparation for his comeback in 6 weeks

Basically Barton says:

Disappointing to lose a player of his calibre.

Fantastic player, but also a good friend. Will be in contact for the rest of our lifes.

Think he'll do well in Liverpool.

Wish him all the luck in the world.

And as our other scouser...:

"Fantastic move for Carroll"