Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

May as well. Canny on his day doesn't have a enough of them days that is why it is WHU after rather than a top team. Him, S.Taylor & if at all possible Smith off the books would be good Jan clear out. Of course who we get in would be the intriguing part.

May as well. Canny on his day doesn't have a enough of them days that is why it is WHU after rather than a top team. Him, S.Taylor & if at all possible Smith off the books would be good Jan clear out. Of course who we get in would be the intriguing part.

Well we wouldn't get in anybody of Barton's quality, for a start.

I reckon we could find a midfielder who scores more goals than Joseph

Guest Roger Kint

Andy i said that a few weeks back regarding a new contract. Financially if he continues this form it will work out cheaper to persuade him to accept £50k a week(ish) than effectively replace him.

I reckon we could find a midfielder who scores more goals than Joseph

Is that the be-all and end-all of being a midfielder like? ???

Guest Roger Kint

He has 18 months left on a contract. He could buy himself out if he wanted, his value is dropping every window so £3-4m+ is a silly amount in all fairness. Would rather keep him if he fancies the same contract they are giving Saylor....

He has 18 months left on a contract. He could buy himself out if he wanted, his value is dropping every window so £3-4m+ is a silly amount in all fairness. Would rather keep him if he fancies the same contract they are giving Saylor....

Isn't the buy out cost based on wages? Given what he is apparently on we would still get a fair bit back.

Would be madness to sell him so it'll probably happen.  :-X

Not Barton's biggest fan but to let him go would mean the chances of relegation (already quite high) would double overnight. We've not got too many Premier League quality players if I'm being honest but he's one of them and we need to keep them if we want to stay up. To sell him would be basically writing this season off.

Surely over the last few weeks the difference between Barton being in the team and Barton being out of the team has been highlighted, underlined and categorically circled in thick red ink? In short, that difference could potentially be the difference between leagues. If that's only worth £2-3 million then maybe relegation won't be so bad after all.

I'd rather risk Barton's contract running out and lose him for free in 18 months than lose him now when we need his type of player desperately.

Guest Roger Kint

Isn't the buy out cost based on wages? Given what he is apparently on we would still get a fair bit back.

As far as i know any player(after his 3rd year of a contract) can buy it out for the remainder. Any future deal he decides to set up would be a case of repaying it via signing on fee/wages instead of a transfer fee. Obviously his is a canny wedge but the chance is there.

As far as i know any player(after his 3rd year of a contract) can buy it out for the remainder. Any future deal he decides to set up would be a case of repaying it via signing on fee/wages instead of a transfer fee. Obviously his is a canny wedge but the chance is there.

Just under £3.5m a year by my estimations so about what we would get anyway. May aswell keep him or "risk" him buying it out.

Andy i said that a few weeks back regarding a new contract. Financially if he continues this form it will work out cheaper to persuade him to accept £50k a week(ish) than effectively replace him.

Not having a go at you in any way Roger, just picking up on something, but the very thought of "persuading" players of such modest talents as Joey Barton to "accept" 50,000 pounds a week shows why I am so revolted by football these days.

I don't mind the top players making their stupendous salaries, it is sheer averageness of the likes of Barton (or at our place Sidwell) picking up this kind of money that makes me want to stop bothering with the game any more.