So say we got offered £4m for Smith

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would depend on whether we looked likely to keep three of Nolan, Butt, Barton, Geremi and Guthrie. There are players who can do what Smith can, even though I think he's the best of the lot in this league, but Duff won't be replaceable.

Guest BooBoo

Keep.

His name is on my shirt (2007-9 edition that is, i'm not buying the shitty new one either!).

Smith on the back of his shirt? Too tight to buy the new one?  Mike?  :iamatwat:

**Runs**

Cutting off nose to spite your face. That is what this and the Duff threads are about.

I hate Smith and never wanted him added to our team. I'd love to get rid of 90% of the squad, but if we aren't buying anyone what does this achieve other than making us weaker and less likely to get promoted?

Judging by his peformence in the last game, and the fact that it dosn't look like were signing anybody, i'd say keep.

Oh my god. :lol:

Isn't that all we can do though? This league is inferior (Stephen Carr got promoted FFS), so we are all in the process of watching how the team perform at this level and adjust our mindset as to what is and what isn't good enough. It will take a while to fully establish what a good player is and what a good player isn't at this level.

Basically, if it wasn't for the wages, these players should get a clean slate for this season. However as it looks like no replacements will come in regardless, I don't really care that wages are burning Ashley's pockets. Serves him right.

Cant believe it seems more important for some people to cut our wages down than to submit a squad of 18 players or what ever to each match :kasper:

The wagebill (along with Ashley's stubbornness of course) is currently strangling the club mate. You can say what you like about debts etc, but in our position we simply cannot afford players on these wages.

Cant believe it seems more important for some people to cut our wages down than to submit a squad of 18 players or what ever to each match :kasper:

The wagebill (along with Ashley's stubbornness of course) is currently strangling the club mate. You can say what you like about debts etc, but in our position we simply cannot afford players on these wages.

But my view is that even if we have some space to move in wages it wont be used to improve the squad as long as Ashley is here.

No one wants to keep Smith and Duff because they are worldbeaters. The problem is that no matter what the fee, it's apparently the same as a free transfer since no money will be reinvested into the squad.

Unless we get promoted. The points tally at the end of the season doesn't correlate to how much money a club has. If we're promoted then we'll be alright... if we don't; we'll still have a chunky wagebill regardless of any more of the big earners go.

The priority is promotion and we're going to require an actual squad in order to be able to achieve that.

Unless we get promoted. The points tally at the end of the season doesn't correlate to how much money a club has. If we're promoted then we'll be alright... if we don't; we'll still have a chunky wagebill regardless of any more of the big earners go.

The priority is promotion and we're going to require an actual squad in order to be able to achieve that.

We won't get promoted without a committed owner and a decent manager, never mind Alan Smith or Damien Duff.

By the way, one of our rivals were delighted with signing Paul Hartley. They would be creaming their pants if they signed Duff or Smith. We have to realise what league were in.