Chris Hughton

Keefaz

Do you think it is a good decision then?
It's good from the point of view we need someone in the managers chair.

It's good from the point of view that it should bring some much needed stability.

It's good that Hughton gets at least until the end of the season to prove himself.

It's bad that the job hasn't gone to Mourinho/Hitzfeld/Sven etc etc etc but that's called being realistic.

FWIW Ashleys is a sack of s***.

Is that clearer for you?

So Hughton gets until the end of the season to prove himself but Shearer can be written off as being **** after eight games?

I am indeed having difficulty comprehending this.

Now why are you bringing Shearer up? :pow:

Your approach to judging the respective managers just seems really strange.  One is given a full season (and pre-season to prove himself) while the other only got a handful of games.

Or to put it another way one willingly stays at the club despite the uncertainty of his position while the other one fucks back off to MOTD.

Our last 45 mins of football under Shearer is the most gutless performance I've seen from any Newcastle team - and I've seen us relegated 3 times.

It's good from the point of view that it should bring some much needed stability.

It's good that Hughton gets at least until the end of the season to prove himself.

It's bad that the job hasn't gone to Mourinho/Hitzfeld/Sven etc etc etc but that's called being realistic.

Is that clearer for you?

So Hughton gets until the end of the season to prove himself but Shearer can be written off as being **** after eight games?

Your approach to judging the respective managers just seems really strange.  One is given a full season (and pre-season to prove himself) while the other only got a handful of games.

Or to put it another way one willingly stays at the club despite the uncertainty of his position while the other one f***s back off to MOTD.

Our last 45 mins of football under Shearer is the most gutless performance I've seen from any Newcastle team - and I've seen us relegated 3 times.

How's it Shearer's fault he has to go back to MOTD? I'm sure if Ashley offered him a contract he'd probably take it (although I'm less sure about this now) and if Ashley offered him a contract back at the start of June he'd have bitten his hands off.

I don't disagree with the second bit though, although it's not really that great a reason not to give Shearer a second chance (not alone anyway).  If you're going to judge Shearer on those eight games you should judge Hughton on his first eight games which were equally as bad (or at least very close to being as bad, despite being under less pressure and arguably having easier games).

Is that clearer for you?

Or to put it another way one willingly stays at the club despite the uncertainty of his position while the other one f***s back off to MOTD.

How's it Shearer's fault he has to go back to MOTD? I'm sure if Ashley offered him a contract he'd probably take it (although I'm less sure about this now) and if Ashley offered him a contract back at the start of June he'd have bitten his hands off.

I don't disagree with the second bit though, although it's not really that great a reason not to give Shearer a second chance (not alone anyway).  If you're going to judge Shearer on those eight games you should judge Hughton on his first eight games which were equally as bad (or at least very close to being as bad, despite being under less pressure and arguably having easier games).

Hughton has apparently just been offered a managers contract, are you saying he should have fucked off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Is that clearer for you?

Hughton has apparently just been offered a managers contract, are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

??? No?  Hughton was under contract as a coach and took over as caretaker, Shearer had a contract for eight games which expired at the end of the season and Ashley seemingly didn't want to give him a contract.  I don't see what Shearer was supposed to do?  He clearly wanted the job and didn't want to run off.

....are you saying he should have fucked off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Wait, am I getting this right, the reason Shearer isn't out manager is because he (Shearer) fucked off at the end of last season?

Or do you mean he had a meeting with Ashley and laid out his plans.. that scared the shit out of Ashley. We could debate that perhaps, were Shearer's demands excessive? Given the clubs track record with verifiable statements I wouldn't expect many to believe the tales of extravagent demands.

....are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Wait, am I getting this right, the reason Shearer isn't out manager is because he (Shearer) f***ed off at the end of last season?

Or do you mean he had a meeting with Ashley and laid out his plans.. that scared the s*** out of Ashley. We could debate that perhaps, were Shearer's demands excessive? Given the clubs track record with verifiable statements I wouldn't expect many to believe the tales of extravagent demands.

Given the fact I've never met Ashley or implied it I'd say your post was a pile of s***.

Is that clearer for you?

Hughton has apparently just been offered a managers contract, are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

??? No?  Hughton was under contract as a coach and took over as caretaker, Shearer had a contract for eight games which expired at the end of the season and Ashley seemingly didn't want to give him a contract.  I don't see what Shearer was supposed to do?  He clearly wanted the job and didn't want to run off.

But he did.

While Hughton stayed.

Which of the two has done the most for us this season?

A lot of people on here have gone from very humble before games and expecting tough opposition before matches to now being unhappy after a tough run and a few results that we might have expected earlier. It was a good start to the season but after most matches that we won there were question marks over the quality of the squad. Yes, many players had premiership experience but some were found to be wanting at that level. The squad clearly had some above championship qualities but not everywhere and often in limited ways. Smith and Nolan being the best two examples for me.

Now that we have had a poor run when having a 4 or 5 key players out at times, Hughton has got it in the neck a bit. The decision is clearly in line with the Souness / Roeder line of managerial appointments and is a sad indictment of the level of insight those at the top have. However, i think he has done more than enough so far this season (and pre-season) to have bought himself some time now to show that he can get us back to winning games and he deserves the job.

A lot of people on here have gone from very humble before games and expecting tough opposition before matches to now being unhappy after a tough run and a few results that we might have expected earlier. It was a good start to the season but after most matches that we won there were question marks over the quality of the squad. Yes, many players had premiership experience but some were found to be wanting at that level. The squad clearly had some above championship qualities but not everywhere and often in limited ways. Smith and Nolan being the best two examples for me.

Now that we have had a poor run when having a 4 or 5 key players out at times, Hughton has got it in the neck a bit. The decision is clearly in line with the Souness / Roeder line of managerial appointments and is a sad indictment of the level of insight those at the top have. However, i think he has done more than enough so far this season (and pre-season) to have bought himself some time now to show that he can get us back to winning games and he deserves the job.

It's not the appointment in itself I find worrying, it's what it represents.

It has come as a confirmation of what many of us expected - the club is not for sale and probably wasn't anyway. Ashley is here to stay and that is seriously bad news because that January transfer window could be the last chance to save this club. If we don't go up this season we are in big big trouble, a quick glance at our squad and the obvious departures that would follow confirms that.

As for Hughton, I don't see that we can do much better than him. We will never have stability under Mike Ashley and no decent manager would ever work under him. Giving him the job raises a couple of concerning issues though. If he takes us up the pressure will be on to appoint him as full-time manager. Taking arguably the best team in the Championship back into the Premiership is not a heroic feat and certainly wouldn't merit a full-time manager's contract. Nor would it indicate he can keep us in the Premier League. Not only that but supposing we went up, made the tough call and axed him for someone else, the new guy will have had no time to assess the squad, identify new players and get the ball moving on preparations for a very hard season ahead. Not to mention a new guy wouldn't even come in until the club is sold, and Ashley will be in no hurry to do that as he tries to find the best deal for himself.

It's nowt personal against Hughton or even his managerial ability for this campaign, but looking at the bigger picture this is most definitely bad news.

For the record I have always maintained this was a crap division and Hughton was never the right person for the job, I don't think for a moment I was unique in this way of thinking. I think you are talking about a minority on this board, who show zero foresight and are emotionally extremely volitile.

This is a bloody idiotic move, just in Ashley's style.

This is as daft as appointing Roeder, Houghton will be a puppet to a bloke that admits he knows nowt about football but wants total control over team affairs were doomed  :dowie: :facepalm:

It's even worse than Roeder being appointed.

....are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Wait, am I getting this right, the reason Shearer isn't out manager is because he (Shearer) f***ed off at the end of last season?

Or do you mean he had a meeting with Ashley and laid out his plans.. that scared the s*** out of Ashley. We could debate that perhaps, were Shearer's demands excessive? Given the clubs track record with verifiable statements I wouldn't expect many to believe the tales of extravagent demands.

Given the fact I've never met Ashley or implied it I'd say your post was a pile of s***.

Not sure how you read that into my post, I never implied anything but especially not that you'd met Ashley.

We do know Shearer and Ashley met though, and there was talk (papertalk?) afterwards that Shearers wage demands were high and/or the transfer kitty he wanted was excessive.

I'm trying to understand your statement re 'Shearer fucking off at the end of the season'. It seems an extreme statement, given that, as far as we know, he wasn't even offered the job. Unless you're implying his demands effectively ruled him out of the job.

Guest Stephen927

Ashley has been found guilty of misleading the fans before, whats to say he made up the stories that Shearer wanted too much money, that he lied about wanting to sell the club...

Is that clearer for you?

But he did.

While Hughton stayed.

Which of the two has done the most for us this season?

We don't know if Shearer was offered a contract, obviously no-one knows what was going on but no paper ran with stories of 'Shearer turns down Newcastle.'  It's obvious Shearer wanted to stay or he wouldn't have bothered going to any meetings with Ashley.  Granted he may have wanted unreasonable demands but I think its safe to say Ashley wanted to spend nothing, why else would he put the club up for sale straight away after?  Why not get another manager who'd work for half of what Shearer wanted and demand half as big a transfer kitty?  And looking back over Ashley's reign I'm more inclined to believe unreasonableness from Ashley's side rather than Shearer's (and I'd say that with almost all manager's in Shearer's place).

Also, I can't remember exactly (so may very well be wrong) but I don't think Hughton was ever offered a new contract, he just carried on with his coaching contract and this is why he's now negotiating a new, proper manager's contract.  He's obviously done more for us this season but that's hardly Shearer's fault.

According to the Times, Hughton's contract will not be extended, he's got until the end of next season on his current one, and that will probably be changed to reflect he's the manager.

Which ultimately is no big deal, despite the hysterics coming from NUFC.com and others.

With the continuing impasse regarding the sale of the club, it probably offers Hughton the respect he deserves while not tying down any untried or long contract expensive manager who would take a further chunk of wedge away should a future owner not want them.

What amazes me is that we are going through a run of poor form and he offers Houghton the managers job ,he has done well to get us to the top but i think its more down to the players than the manager and lets be honest this is a piss poor division and i dont expect any less than top 3 with the players we have available after accessing our opponents.Houghton fits the criteria for Ashley in that he wont go knocking Llambias office door down asking for millions and he is comfy in the knowledge that Ashley hasnt got a plan a or plan b anyway for example getting us promoted and keeping us there ,all Ashley wants imho is promotion then sell up when the club will be a better proposition to a buyer .

According to the Times, Hughton's contract will not be extended, he's got until the end of next season on his current one, and that will probably be changed to reflect he's the manager.

Which ultimately is no big deal, despite the hysterics coming from NUFC.com and others.

With the continuing impasse regarding the sale of the club, it probably offers Hughton the respect he deserves while not tying down any untried or long contract expensive manager who would take a further chunk of wedge away should a future owner not want them.

I agree with this also and it makes sense but long term no thanks ,just get us promoted Chris and get your moment of glory after being so dignified in this whole shambles.