La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

Our current schedule fits our climate and habits much better. Spanish nights are very mild so it's quite pleasant to attend a game, except maybe the coldest days of winter. Spanish people also tend to have lunch pretty late compared to the rest of Europeans, particularly on weekends, noon kickoffs would hurt attendances a lot. But the TV rights holders have been pressuring for early kickoffs to better compete in overseas markets.

I also think our times fit nicely with the overall football scheduling: i.e., you can watch the PL game at noon and afternoon, mix it up with the Italians, and then move on La Liga during the evening.

Aye, scored a great goal vs Villarreal  few weeks back and got himself on the scoresheet again vs struggling Valladolid. I haven't a clue why Emery rested him against Sevilla the other week and opted for Albelda &  Marchena who were completly over ran in midfield. Even if Valencia finish in a CL spot they will still be in a serious financial state. I'm not too sure Villa/Silva/Mata will all remain at the Mestalla come the end of the summer. Either Mata/Silva could do a job on the left for Barca once Henry leaves for the MLS.

I would be in the fucking moon if we signed Silva. He's great and still very young.

El Mundo Deportivo has a good stat breakdown of Messi's 101 goals for us. It's in Spanish, but you can easily make out what the stats mean: http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/infograficos/101golesmessi.html

And I remember the handball goal, it was against the parakeet scum no less  :snod:

Heres one for you, Cesc or Silva? I'm undecided tbh, Bringing Cesc home would mean playing Iniesta on the left side of attack which he is more than capable of doing but it would be ludacris to break the chemistry between Xavi and Andres up. Or bring Silva in and have Silva-Ibra-Messi with Xavi and Iniesta behind them. I prefer the latter and would opt to return Cesc home next summer.

Guest palnese

Silva is much better playing through the middle as AMC/second striker than on the left wing too. But he's a cracking winger of course.

I'd have Silva this season, Cesc the next. It would be hard to get both though (both are in Madrid's crosshairs too).

Cesc surely wouldn't sign for Madrid?

Silva isnt much better than Cesc tbh. They are completly different players. Valencia need cash and with Mata/Pablo they have decent replacements for Silva. 25/30m euros i would say

Cesc said hes family wouldn't have a problem if he signed for Madrid and imo he would if Barcelona couldn't afford to sign him. Obviously if both Fail Madrid n Barca had there offers accepted by Arsenal and it was down to Fabregas to pick he would 100% opt for Barcelona.

Its likely if Le Arse have another trophyless season as hes dad said today they will review the situation in the summer. Madrid will probably try get Silva or Ribery in the summer along with Villa and if Cesc was available they would be interested in him too but i wouldn't bet against Cesc being a Barcelona player come the start of next season  especially with a president election coming up everyone will promise to sign Cesc.

As said, if we don't go for Cesc this season he could very well go to Real Madrid if he really wants out of Arsenal, which I can see if they end trophyless yet again.

All said, Cesc is probably a square peg for both us and Real. Xavi's going to be 31 next season though.

A friend of mine that supports the parakeets sent me this article to brag about their ST growth, it includes a nice list of all La Liga clubs ST totals:

http://elespanyol.com/articles/35865-espanyol-sexto-club-con-mas-socios

Barcelona  97.000

Real Madrid  85.000

Atlético de Madrid  48.000

Valencia  45.000

Sevilla  39.500

Espanyol  35.168

Athletic de Bilbao 33.500

Zaragoza  24.000

Málaga  22.600

Sporting  22.000

Villarreal  19.800

Racing de Santander  17.500

Xerez  16.200

Valladolid  16.027

Osasuna  15.300

Tenerife  15.100

Deportivo  17.000

Mallorca  11.000

Getafe  9.700

Almería  9.050

I'm not that sure about Barça's number. I have seen 88,000 in other places as I'm not sure we are allowed to sell out the entire stadium as season tickets. Then again, this is an Espanyol news site and the last thing they will be doing is giving us reasons to brag  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some assorted news:

- Higuaín's contract extension stalled after he has demanded Galáctico wages (which he deserves tbf)

- Negredo has said that he "doesn't want to favour Barça" when Sevilla plays against his boyhood club Real Madrid.

- Barça's squad reportedly restless because there still isn't an agreement for player bonuses (club reportedly wants to lower them after the treble season saw payments of €50m)

- Zidane said today that "rather die than apologize to Materazzi"  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The table after Barça's win over Valencia and Sevilla's draw to Deportivo:

1  R. Madrid  65

2 Barcelona 65

3 Valencia 47

4 Sevilla 44

5 Mallorca 43

6 Deportivo 42

7 Athletic 41

8 Getafe 36

9 Villarreal 36

10 Almería 33

11 Sporting 32

12 Atlético* 31

13 Osasuna* 31

14 Espanyol 28

15 Málaga 27

16 Racing 27

17 Zaragoza 26

18 Tenerife 23

19 Valladolid 20

20 Xerez 15

18 points over the 3rd spot, we are fucking Scotland  :facepalm:

And it wasn't that way...

Howay Getafe. I like to see them do well - always struck me as a bit of an underdog team. I've liked them ever since they were cruelly knocked out of Europe by Bayern a couple of years ago. Athletic Bilbao as well, (as well as Barca for their ridiculous football generally).

The table after Barça's win over Valencia and Sevilla's draw to Deportivo:

1  R. Madrid  65

2 Barcelona 65

3 Valencia 47

4 Sevilla 44

5 Mallorca 43

6 Deportivo 42

7 Athletic 41

8 Getafe 36

9 Villarreal 36

10 Almería 33

11 Sporting 32

12 Atlético* 31

13 Osasuna* 31

14 Espanyol 28

15 Málaga 27

16 Racing 27

17 Zaragoza 26

18 Tenerife 23

19 Valladolid 20

20 Xerez 15

18 points over the 3rd spot, we are fucking Scotland  :facepalm:

And it wasn't that way...

At least you don't divide the league in half.

Going to Malaga on hols in October, will probably try and see a game, will they stay up Village Idiot/Messi? Will it be easy to get tickets?

They have a somewhat tricky calendar, but all their games against relegation rivals are at home, I think they'll manage it since there only is one more relegation ticket in play, imho, Valladolid and Xerez are certainties.

You should be able to get tickets with ease during match day at their ticket offices, unless it's some very high demand game against the likes of Barcelona or Madrid