La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

Only way Madrid can win the league is to beat Barca (considering both teams win all their other games), due to the head to head rule in spain. Before classico last year people were saying it would be close then Barca hammer them 6-2, anything can happen.

Madrid are so much better than last year it isn't even worth talking about. Higuain and Ronaldo are cleaning house.

No way are they your flatmates as well.

This has to be the 8th time i've typed this but Ronaldo and Higuain look absolutely fantastic together.

Why & who are you typing that for?

They have whacked in 42 goals in league goals it is not rocket science to say they are playing well together.

I was more referring to the way they're linking up tbh.

This has to be the 8th time i've typed this but Ronaldo and Higuain look absolutely fantastic together.

They have whacked in 42 goals in league goals it is not rocket science to say they are playing well together.

They aren't linking up at all man, the interplay between them is almost non-existent (which kinda goes with Madrid's playing style, they are extremely direct). They are both tremendously effective though.

Cronaldo leads the shoots on goal stat in La Liga by a country mile, and he has only played 21 of 31. He doesn't do passing.

Incidentally one of my Real Madrid supporting friends (yeah I have those!) was telling me today, how "Higuaín is actually a bad finisher and needs a lot of chances to put them away", which is something I have seen said a lot, and it's f***ing bollocks. Guy's got 66 shots for 24 goals. That's an amazing conversion ratio. Compare that to Cronaldo's 152 shots for 12 goals from open play, Messi's 124 for 25 or Villa's 118 for 18.

They aren't linking up at all man, the interplay between them is almost non-existent (which kinda goes with Madrid's playing style, they are extremely direct). They are both tremendously effective though.

Cronaldo leads the shoots on goal stat in La Liga by a country mile, and he has only played 21 of 31. He doesn't do passing.

I disagree completely, they're finding the other all the time, especially Gonzalo. It was suggested they'd trip on each other's toes, but that isn't happening.

Interesting stat about CR btw, he's always gone for glory but in the premier league he never really seemed that selfish a player, not that Ferguson would have stood for it anyway.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, since honestly I don't think there's interplay between Cronaldo and Higuaín. They just get the ball and run at the defense, and it's something that's been criticised. Think of how the Madrid papers piled on Higuaín because he didn't pass it to Cronaldo during the Lyon game, it's something they have been talking about all year. Their number of combined assists (6) is low compared to other partnerships (Zlatan+Messi have 15, Agüero+Forlán have 9, Villa+Silva have 8). They are just a pair of machine guns. Deadly ones.

But they do get the results (in Spain at least), and since they are double and triple teamed often, it's easy for the other to find spaces.

Incidentally, if you have a basic understanding of Spanish, diarioas.com has a very good stats repository for La Liga and the CL.

http://www.as.com/estadisticas/

Their number of combined assists (6) is low compared to other partnerships (Zlatan+Messi have 15, Agüero+Forlán have 9, Villa+Silva have 8). They are just a pair of machine guns.

Just clarify is that there total assists for the season or goal they passed to each other?

Their number of combined assists (6) is low compared to other partnerships (Zlatan+Messi have 15, Agüero+Forlán have 9, Villa+Silva have 8). They are just a pair of machine guns.

Just clarify is that there total assists for the season or goal they passed to each other?

Overall assists.

Overall assists.

So together it will be even less then hardly Beardsley & Cole then.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, since honestly I don't think there's interplay between Cronaldo and Higuaín. They just get the ball and run at the defense, and it's something that's been criticised. Think of how the Madrid papers piled on Higuaín because he didn't pass it to Cronaldo during the Lyon game, it's something they have been talking about all year. Their number of combined assists (6) is low compared to other partnerships (Zlatan+Messi have 15, Agüero+Forlán have 9, Villa+Silva have 8). They are just a pair of machine guns. Deadly ones.

Exactly, which is why, in tougher games Real have stuggled; and why they will probably end this season trophyless.

I don't think anyone can deny that Real played their best football this season without Ronaldo (see Deportivo (A) for evidence).  Ronaldo scores and it will seem stupid, but I think a lot of the time he's detrimental to the team.  Watch Ronaldo's highlights v Atletico, all he did was shoot and in the end he wasn't involved in any of the goals I don't think.  It was like with Harewood and Shola with us, both seemed to score goals but as a team, we played better football with Carroll (and Ranger, to be fair) upfront, not that it matters now with Carroll scoring loads but people need to look beyond the stats sometimes.

As for Higuain, look at the games he hasn't scored in.  Lyon (H), Sevilla (H), Lyon (A), Marseille (A), Barcelona (A).  Basically, the big and important games.  He still hasn't proved himself against the top teams.  He's a top striker but he can't be included with Torres, Drogba et al until he starts scoring the important goals.  I realise it's obvious that against bigger teams players will score less but his performances in those games were hardly eyecatching either.  I'm not saying he won't do it in the future but at the moment I don't think he has yet.

Guest Treks

Abidal picked up a recurrence of the thigh injury that kept him out for 2 ish months last night which will rule him out of Saturdays game  :-[ Pique and Ibra didn't train with the squad today. Ibra looks set to miss Clasico but theres a slight chance of making the bench. Pique should be fit to start.

About Higuain and Ronaldo, was something on Revista De La Liga the other week about them not passing to each other, as Higauin thinks he should get same money ans Ronaldo, Kaka etc and isn't so wants to prove it by scoring more than them....