Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's the managers job to instill confidence in a squad.

You don't do that by sticking with your old buddies.

BTW have you noticed that some of those same players now show genuine committment to the club during matches?

The 'pile of crap' excuse is no excuse at all given what's happened since then

Which is what? That we're getting better results against weaker sides? Yeah what a miraculous turn around.

Just because its the managers job doesnt mean you ignore the situation and write them off if its not instantly achieved.

So one manager gets 5 points from eight games in a harder division, but with a better squad. Performances weren't exactly good, there seemed to be no new manager "bounce", and the squad's general attitude didn't seem to improve that much, but we had been in free-fall most of the season to be fair.

Whilst the other gets 22 points from nine games in a worse division, with a worse squad. Performances have generally pretty good, the squad's general attitude is excellent, but he has made some mistakes which have mostly gone unpunished.

To be honest, that seems like a bit of a toss-up as to who's the best, based upon that evidence, yet one is written off as not good enough by basically everyone and the other is still seen as the saviour by the vast majority. It's anythingbut clear-cut in my view, but there are definitely better options than both of them out there and that is clear cut.

BTW have you noticed that some of those same players now show genuine committment to the club during matches?

Which is what? That we're getting better results against weaker sides? Yeah what a miraculous turn around.

Just because its the managers job doesnt mean you ignore the situation and write them off if its not instantly achieved.

Better results against weaker sides with a much weaker squad who are now far more motivated.

Get it right.

The whole teams workrate is up massively since last season, you can't put that down to weaker opposition.

So you're implying that we're better this season bc of the good work done by Houghton. You're also saying that Shearer wouldn't be a good manager bc the team produced shit results under him last year, which is his fault for not being able to motivate them.

So, erm, I mean, have you looked at Houghton's results as caretaker from last year?

Hughton has a bunch of premier league players playing against a bunch of championship players.

I still want Shearer

You have the most ironic name on this forum by a country mile.

Rob W is right - it would be crazy to change managers now while they are playing so well

Guest sicko2ndbest

I fancy Hughton to get us up, on that we agree. I also fancy Hughton to take us straight back down. We need a manager in the summer with a standing in the game to make good transfers. Sticking with Hughton now will be disasterous in the long term. Another wasted summer, sacked by October and one very expensive window to save us!

I fancy Hughton to get us up, on that we agree. I also fancy Hughton to take us straight back down. We need a manager in the summer with a standing in the game to make good transfers. Sticking with Hughton now will be disasterous in the long term. Another wasted summer, sacked by October and one very expensive window to save us!

That's the problem I have - we stick with Hughton now and we either have him out of his depth in the premier league (again) or we have a totally inexperienced Shearer out of his depth in the premier league (again) - And whatever reservations anyone may have, he's still odds-on to be our next manager after Hughton.

So one manager gets 5 points from eight games in a harder division, but with a better squad. Performances weren't exactly good, there seemed to be no new manager "bounce", and the squad's general attitude didn't seem to improve that much, but we had been in free-fall most of the season to be fair.

Its pretty hard to show an improvement in form when five of your eight fixtures are Chelsea (h), Liverpool (a), Spuds (a), Villa (a) and Stoke (a).

Guest The Libertine

why does it have to be shearer, why not curbishley or strachen for example both have good track records with teams what does shearer offer that those two do not?

because the media have told us we do. sadly, many of our fans have listened.

why does it have to be shearer, why not curbishley or strachen for example both have good track records with teams what does shearer offer that those two do not?

:rolleyes:

We do what?

Its pretty hard to show an improvement in form when five of your eight fixtures are Chelsea (h), Liverpool (a), Spuds (a), Villa (a) and Stoke (a).

It's pretty hard to get a seriously depleted squad of kids and players who were so awful the previous season that they got relegated to play well enough to get 22 points from nine games. Especially when you've had no money to spend, your club is in the middle of a crisis/takeover, you're not a permanent manager and if the takeover happens could be out of a job, etc, etc, etc.

Like I said, it's a toss up between them. Neither are proven good managers, we could do better.

To state it implicitly, in case anyone is in any doubt: I am not saying Hughton is the man for the job, I am simply saying that his record is at least comparable to Shearer's, yet no-one thinks he is good enough whereas a lot of people think Shearer is good enough for some reason. That reason is nothing to do with his record as a manager, it is based upon something else entirely.

Guest The Libertine

they've been running stories about shearer coming in as a coach or manager for years, saying that he's the one all the fans want. the "fairy tale" lines they often throw in are also clever.

its the same technique that will drum up support for gerrard, terry etc to manage their teams in the future. watch for it.

The players all seem to speak warmly about Hughton and it looks as if team spirit is good. I'm unsure whether Shearer's supposed cage rattling approach would go down well if he was appointed. I'm sure a lot of the squad might be disappointed if Hughton was to be moved aside.

Not that it's likely to happen, mind.

His desire to be our manager?

Yeah, that's about the level of it.

I know, before the next home game they should have an announcement over the tannoy saying: "Who wants to be our next manager?" first person to put their hand up gets the job. :D

Long term I think he probably will be the answer. However, for the here and now, we're on a good run, have some rhythm going and another managerial change could well backfire. We're doing well atm, time to leave it alone for a bit.

I think this season is what I would call a 'Roeder season'. When Roeder was caretaker manager we finished 7th, players were calling him to be given the full time job, we were happy when he was appointed

Speak for yourself there...

Ditto.

I thought it a ridiculous appointment, that would only end producing more problems than it solved. (and said so here at the time)

"The fans want Glenn"- FFS.

What a heap. Nobody i know wanted Roeder as manager as we all could see it be yet another 12-18 month appointment.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Long term I think he probably will be the answer. However, for the here and now, we're on a good run, have some rhythm going and another managerial change could well backfire. We're doing well atm, time to leave it alone for a bit.

So what do we do, get promotion with Hughton and give him a shot in the premier leagueand a whole transfer window.

We are not going to get rid of a manager who has just got us promotion. If we do go up, the next window needs to be a big one in terms of new personel and i dont trust Hughton to be able to deliver the results.

If we go up i make us one of the favourites to go down next year with the current managerial arrangement

It's pretty hard to get a seriously depleted squad of kids and players who were so awful the previous season that they got relegated to play well enough to get 22 points from nine games. Especially when you've had no money to spend, your club is in the middle of a crisis/takeover, you're not a permanent manager and if the takeover happens could be out of a job, etc, etc, etc.

Like I said, it's a toss up between them. Neither are proven good managers, we could do better.

To state it implicitly, in case anyone is in any doubt: I am not saying Hughton is the man for the job, I am simply saying that his record is at least comparable to Shearer's, yet no-one thinks he is good enough whereas a lot of people think Shearer is good enough for some reason. That reason is nothing to do with his record as a manager, it is based upon something else entirely.

Personally I'm inclined to think just about any manager could do as well as he's done, we simply have far better players then most other teams in this league.

Not saying we need to replace Hughton right now obviously.  But long term I'd have Shearer over Hughton any day.