Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Regarding Hughton, I think he probably deserves an ongoing role at the club for the job he's done and I think he's a capable coach, but continuing the theme of my previous post, if a new good manager comes in and wants his own people, then thanks Chris, see ya later.

The Richard Dinnis situation (as mentioned above) is something we have to be very careful of. The players may want Hughton in charge, but it shouldn't be left up to them as it's a dangerous path to head down. I'd still have a punt on Shearer once the takeover hopefully goes through. One thing he can do, is unite all of the fans behind the club once more - perhaps even the bizarre pro-Ashley lot.

Leaving the choice up to the fans is an equally dangerous road.

Since when has NUFC listened to it's fans, anyway?

Regarding Hughton, I think he probably deserves an ongoing role at the club for the job he's done and I think he's a capable coach, but continuing the theme of my previous post, if a new good manager comes in and wants his own people, then thanks Chris, see ya later.

I would think that most of the managers we'd realistically be able to attract (and this includes Shearer) would recognize what a good job he's done and how much respect he has from the players, and keep him on in a coaching capacity. I agree with you that he deserves an ongoing role at the club.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens: Just appoint a good fucking manager!! I couldn't give a shit who that is, if he's never even been to the North East or he was born in the centre circle at St James' and lived his live up until now in a cupboard under the Gallowgate, doesn't matter whatsoever. Let's have some thought put into it for once. Serious thought and zero sentiment is the recipe for appointing a good manager, when was the last time NUFC did that?

If they're not going to bother doing that then appoint Shearer and let's get it over with. Perhaps once he's out of the way we can get on with being a football club and choose our managers based upon ability rather than place of birth or whatever. You never know he might even turn out to be a decent manager, even tough there's virtually nothing to indicate that at present. Stranger things have happened, but it'd be luck rather than judgement on the behalf of the club if that's how things turn out.

Right now, I want Shearer less than ever, though not because I think Hughton is the answer.

Both posts :thup:

Hughton seems to be learning from his mistakes, just very slowly (Two strikers for example). And at this level can get away with that. Shearer also appeared to be learning from his, and very quickly last year. Just you don't have the time in the Premiership to get away with things like Hughton has done.

They did with Roeder, unfortunately (not me, I hasten to add)

And massively DIDN'T with Souness and Allardyce

Hughton seems to be learning from his mistakes, just very slowly (Two strikers for example). And at this level can get away with that. Shearer also appeared to be learning from his, and very quickly last year. Just you don't have the time in the Premiership to get away with things like Hughton has done.

To be fair to Al, they left it to late to give him a chance, and he was let down by most of the players (especially a certain little sh*t currently at Man Yoo)

They did with Roeder, unfortunately (not me, I hasten to add)

And massively DIDN'T with Souness and Allardyce

In what way did they listen when it came to Roeder? I don't know anyone who wanted him as permanent manager.

Right now, I want Shearer less than ever, though not because I think Hughton is the answer.

That's the thing with appointing Shearer, it's one thing to recognise that a caretaker manager isn't the answer, it's another to change a winning situatuion to bring in a rookie manager with no previous record to go on. Maybe we just have to make a decision for the sake of getting Shearer out of our system, but then you have to ask what sort of contract he would demand in terms of length and pay and whether it would be justified?

In what way did they listen when it came to Roeder? I don't know anyone who wanted him as permanent manager.

After the 4-1 win at Stadium of Sh*te, there was quite a movement amongst the fans (and on here, I remember) to give him the job. many of us, possibly you too were horrified. But the local papers did a percentage thing, and it was two thirds and more for Roeder. I got the feeling that Shepherd didn't want to give him the job.

Of course when you say "I didn't know anyone etc" memory has a habit of being forgetful when it suits ! ;)

After the 4-1 win at Stadium of Sh*te, there was quite a movement amongst the fans (and on here, I remember) to give him the job. many of us, possibly you too were horrified. But the local papers did a percentage thing, and it was two thirds and more for Roeder. I got the feeling that Shepherd didn't want to give him the job.

Of course when you say "I didn't know anyone etc" memory has a habit of being forgetful when it suits ! ;)

Perhaps, but when the news was announced I don't remember anyone saying, "Oh, good: just what we wanted".

To be honest, I thought Roeder had done well enough to be given a shot at the job full time, with that run at the end of 2005/06 (I think it was) He did take us on a good UEFA Cup run, but that 2nd season was blighted by rotten luck with injuries too.

However looking back, it probably wasn't the right appointment given the damage done by Souness - which took a while to unfold fully.

I think for the Championship, we need to stick with Hughton.  He's done a good job in difficult circumstances but if/when we go up, he will probably realise himself he's not cut out for the big boys of the Premiership.  At that point we give him his golden handshake and get another manager in who's got the balls to make the big decisions and keep the players in line.

Assuming it's Moat who takes over, it's not ideal that in appointing Shearer, he'd be appointing a 'mate', as is said to be the case. There needs to be a little professional distance between Chairman and Manager, however good a relationship they might have.

After all, at some future date, Moat may have to sack Shearer. It'll be difficult enough to do that, because even if Shearer doesn't do well, a number of fans will always blame the owner for not 'backing' him enough with transfer money.

I'd say stick with Hughton until the momentum goes. Of course then they'll be accused of being knee-jerk and that every team inevitably hits bad form, but I think its essential that Shearer gets some experience in the Championship. Its a nice position to be in tbh

As long as Hughton stays then yes

Hughton might have a better offer from elsewhere on the back of this form.

I would be happy for him if he does, he deserves it but I would love him to stay here as a coach. If Shearer comes in I can see Carver being his number two which is maybe a little harsh on Hughton though.

Lets not be fooled by hughton's abilities. I think this season is what I would call a 'Roeder season'. When Roeder was caretaker manager we finished 7th, players were calling him to be given the full time job, we were happy when he was appointed. The next season we finished 14th I believe and we just couldn't take our game to any team in the league. Lets not be fooled by the same trick twice.

Lets not be fooled by hughton's abilities. I think this season is what I would call a 'Roeder season'. When Roeder was caretaker manager we finished 7th, players were calling him to be given the full time job, we were happy when he was appointed. The next season we finished 14th I believe and we just couldn't take our game to any team in the league. Lets not be fooled by the same trick twice.

Speak for yourself there...

Guest The Libertine

assuming its shearer who gets the job, this league seems piss easy so now would be the idea time for him to come in as he has time to find his feet and can learn from mistakes without too much consequence. hughton is obviously doing well but i'd rather it was shearer getting this experience/practice.

The Richard Dinnis situation (as mentioned above) is something we have to be very careful of. The players may want Hughton in charge, but it shouldn't be left up to them as it's a dangerous path to head down. I'd still have a punt on Shearer once the takeover hopefully goes through. One thing he can do, is unite all of the fans behind the club once more - perhaps even the bizarre pro-Ashley lot.

Leaving the choice up to the fans is an equally dangerous road.

If the fans aren't an issue, why is his (supposed) ability to "unite all of the fans behind the club once more" the one thing you cite in his favour?

assuming its shearer who gets the job, this league seems piss easy so now would be the idea time for him to come in as he has time to find his feet and can learn from mistakes without too much consequence. hughton is obviously doing well but i'd rather it was shearer getting this experience/practice.

There's something in that. If we have to have Shearer, better sooner rather than later.

There's something in that. If we have to have Shearer, better sooner rather than later.

We've had Shearer as a manager.

In case you didn't notice he was shyte

We've had Shearer as a manager.

In case you didn't notice he was shyte

Bit like Ferguson?  Fergie went eight game without a win at Man U, no-one remembers that though. Should they have sacked him?  I bet they're glad thy didn't.