Xisco's back

Crumpy Gunt

Guest firetotheworks

I doubt he'll play for us again. Nor should he. Best might be worse (fnar fnar) , but it's hardly a gargantuan difference in quality. And I'd rather have Best who's slightly worse with a better attitude, than Xisco who in the grand scheme of things has still been s****, and with a s**** attitude. It was bad enough having good players with bad attitudes, having bad players with bad attitudes is just f***ing pointless.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Neither are in the least bit creative.

Carroll was creative enough to set up his teammates at least 8 times last season, not too bad a record.

No point ruling him out, good work by Chris.

Agreed, I'd be happy to give him a second chance.

Deffo, its another body and he might just click, in the meantime he gets games and raises our chances of selling him.

Guest BooBoo

Second chance? Why ffs? He has shown literally nothing in his NUFC career in terms of first team football and reserve level. He also had a very unproductive loan spell in Spain. I think some people have taken leave of their senses here- you can't polish a turd!

Second chance? Why ffs? He has shown literally nothing in his NUFC career in terms of first team football and reserve level. He also had a very unproductive loan spell in Spain. I think some people have taken leave of their senses here- you can't polish a turd!

But you can spray it with perfume and try and sell the turd...

No point ruling him out, good work by Chris.

Agreed, I'd be happy to give him a second chance.

Deffo, its another body and he might just click, in the meantime he gets games and raises our chances of selling him.

Aye, I think if the lad is good enough and his attitude is right, it'll show in pre-season and we might have a player on our hands, if this happens and we decide to keep him then it would be like a new signing, if we could get a decent offer in from him too if he shows good form, we could decide to cash in.

If he has a stinker of a pre-season and his attitude is called into question again then at least all parties know where they stand.

I'd rather us give him a fair crack of the whip pre-season then just assume he's not got it in him.

Good luck to the lad.

It's the sensible thing to do. What do you suggest? Leaving him to rot in the reserves for 3 years on the wages he's on because right now we can't sell him and we'd be lucky for someone to loan him off us covering his wages.

You've just got to look at 'Arry and Pavlyuchenko for foreign players and second chances. Xisco might not get to the £5-6m we paid for him, but he could turn himself in to a £2-3m backup striker and we could possibly sell him if he bags a few goals along the way.

To write him off completely is stupid imo, it would destroy him and any chance of getting any money back for him. Chris is playing the smart game.

Guest BooBoo

Hughton is saying the right things but my guess will sell him the first time an offer is made. The Pavluychenko comparison is daft. He was a striker who had shown at international level in the Euros he had real quality, Xisco had a patchy record to begin with and has done nothing in two years. And frankly his poor attitude, as highlighted by the thread title suggests he's exactly the wrong guy to have around in a potential relegation dog fight.

Nicky Butt did similar. Crap first season, not much better at Birmingham on loan, came back 3rd season and was one of our better players that season.

Guest BooBoo

Another daft comparison, Butt had shown with his years at Man Utd and with England that he had something about his game worth persevering with. When has Xisco ever consistently shown he was a striker of anything near quality?

Hughton is saying the right things but my guess will sell him the first time an offer is made. The Pavluychenko comparison is daft. He was a striker who had shown at international level in the Euros he had real quality, Xisco had a patchy record to begin with and has done nothing in two years. And frankly his poor attitude, as highlighted by the thread title suggests he's exactly the wrong guy to have around in a potential relegation dog fight.

You can't dismiss the comparison with Pavlyuchenko, regardless of what he'd proved at international level. He still struggled in the Premiership when he first arrived.

I don't think TT was comparing them as players, more comparing the situation.

I'd much rather give Xisco a second chance to prove himself here than just give up on him and/or sell him for peanuts.

Let's not forget he was only 22 when he arrived here, in a foreign country, his arrival was marred by the Keegan/Wise fiasco and he struggled a bit with injuries, I'm sure he didn't expect to come over here and have that happen and find himself dossing in the reserves. I for one can forgive the lad for feeling a bit unwanted and perhaps homesick.

Regardless of the fact he didn't score a hat full for Santander (a bottom 5 club) that doesn't mean his loan spell hasn't been a success. He's a year older, a tad more experienced, and judging by what Chris has said about his attitude, that could have changed too. It would be easy for him to have not turned up to the camp in Ireland and to training but he has done and it looks like a start on Saturday will be his reward.

I'm hoping he grabs it with both hands myself. Would love to see Xisco knuckle down, impress and make something of himself at this club.

But you can spray it with perfume and try and sell the turd...

You can also roll it in glitter.