'There, or thereabouts'

Keefaz

"steven taylor has nailed his colours to the mast and says he will remain at newcaslte despite relegation"

"dave, it was a great party last night, ill nail my colours to the mast and help you clean up"

Again, a nautical term from the days of sea-faring wars.

rubbish..it's from the days of remote control boats at paddy freemans when you had to identify your frequency with little coloured flags on a board so you didn't conflict with the controls of another boat. i believe it also happens in the high revving world of remote controlled cars.(or at least it used to....and no i didn't have a boat, a friend did)

Cool, Sir Walter Scott had a remote controlled boat 200 years ago :)

i wasn't being serious you know.

Early doors.

From pub opening hours.

Does it not count if it has origins somewhere else? I never heard anyone say "early doors" except in a football context.

ron atkinson was the first person i heard use it. sure he meant to say "early days" but mispronounced it and was too pig headed to own up.

"steven taylor has nailed his colours to the mast and says he will remain at newcaslte despite relegation"

"dave, it was a great party last night, ill nail my colours to the mast and help you clean up"

Again, a nautical term from the days of sea-faring wars.

rubbish..it's from the days of remote control boats at paddy freemans when you had to identify your frequency with little coloured flags on a board so you didn't conflict with the controls of another boat. i believe it also happens in the high revving world of remote controlled cars.(or at least it used to....and no i didn't have a boat, a friend did)

Cool, Sir Walter Scott had a remote controlled boat 200 years ago :)

i wasn't being serious you know.

I didnt think you were :)

Is that not more a technical term?

It's just the thought of him going through on the keeper and physically pulling his ribs apart of whatever.

I always had it down for more, not hunching over the ball so you drag the shot, opening up to give you more control of the shot.

It's just the thought of him going through on the keeper and physically pulling his ribs apart of whatever.

I always had it down for more, not hunching over the ball so you drag the shot, opening up to give you more control of the shot.

Can you draw a diagram to help others understand what the fuck you are gibbering on about?

Can you draw a diagram to help others understand what the f*** you are gibbering on about?

Grandad, look at the picture below, note how Mr Fabregas (Aye one of the bloody foreigners ruining OUR game ;) ) has his body open, at the point at which he strikes the football.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44086000/jpg/_44086060_fabregas_416.jpg

You've proven my point though, Kezman. It's a phrase unique to football in that his body isn't physically open. :lol:

But it is! The reading I take it his arms are out he's leaning back, if his arms were in and hunched over his body is closed.

When a player is one-on-one with the 'keeper and misses, more often than not it's because he didn't "open his body up".

The phrase or something like it, I believe, is also used in The Hold Steady's song Same Kooks. I've little idea what it means in that context, either, tbh. I think it might be rude.