Blackpool 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/09/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Hughton on SSN:

They were far better first half

We showed more character second half

Their second goal killed it, we were looking like winning it up until then

Their second goal killed it? no - bringing off Barton and Guthrie and leaving Butt on the pitch killed it.  4-5-1 killed it.

To the kneejerkers: we lost, get over it. We will win on Saturday.

Were you lot screaming "Keegan out" when we lost to Grimsby in 1992?

so because we're unhappy at defeat, we're kneejerking? I don't see many saying we're going down now tbh

Tbh our whole midfield has been poor this season. Maybe bar Reading and a glimpse of quality from Guthrie against Leicester. It's a joke really, and if we go up we need major investment in that midfield as it would get torn apart in the Premier League.

Nolan's looked horrendously unfit, Barton looks like he couldn't be f***ed, Smith's done his job, and Guthrie's not had much of a chance.

Smith and Guthrie central and Barton behind the front man is how this midfield three should be, but it's so impossibly obvious Hughton can't see it. Might as well make it all too difficult for no reason.

He's making it difficult because we have no wingers and he has to compensate for this.

The fact is he just doesn't want to drop Nolan and now he won't be able to bring himself to drop Butt. The likes of Lua Lua could easily be put out on that wing and his pace and unpredictability would be a breath of fresh air and would at the very least give us another gear out there.

I really like Hughton but he is bottling it. Huge shame.

Hughton on SSN:

Their second goal killed it? no - bringing off Barton and Guthrie and leaving Butt on the pitch killed it.  4-5-1 killed it.

Wasnt there about 20 minutes left after the 2nd goal? How does 1 goal kill any game unless its in the last couple of minutes?

Tbh our whole midfield has been poor this season. Maybe bar Reading and a glimpse of quality from Guthrie against Leicester. It's a joke really, and if we go up we need major investment in that midfield as it would get torn apart in the Premier League.

Nolan's looked horrendously unfit, Barton looks like he couldn't be f***ed, Smith's done his job, and Guthrie's not had much of a chance.

Smith and Guthrie central and Barton behind the front man is how this midfield three should be, but it's so impossibly obvious Hughton can't see it. Might as well make it all too difficult for no reason.

He's making it difficult because we have no wingers and he has to compensate for this.

The fact is he just doesn't want to drop Nolan and now he won't be able to bring himself to drop Butt. The likes of Lua Lua could easily be put out on that wing and his pace and unpredictability would be a breath of fresh air and would at the very least give us another gear out there.

whenever lua lua has came on for the first team he's looked lost with lots of running going nowhere. i'd probably rather have geremi in away games.

Yeah I chanted it from within the womb.

Then listen to the voice of experience

The voice of experience is the reason Butt is out there right now. Do anything but listen to the voice of experience. Experience is a word I have come to despise because of this team of ours. Butt, Nolan, etc. Yeah they'll do a job with all that experience won't they. Nonsense.

Haha, I agree with you mate, we were always gonna lose games and I'm confident we'll bounce back on Saturday, aslong as the right team is played.

Also, am I the only one who gets pissed off that the next game isn't immediate after a loss?

so because we're unhappy at defeat, we're kneejerking? I don't see many saying we're going down now tbh

Nothing wrong with not being happy with a defeat and reflecting sensibly on it. But for some (more than some) on here, being unhappy at defeat = Hughton out/all our previous wins were lucky/Nicky Butt (the antichrist) was the sole reason for getting beaten.

The voice of experience is the reason Butt is out there right now. Do anything but listen to the voice of experience. Experience is a word I have come to despise because of this team of ours. Butt, Nolan, etc. Yeah they'll do a job with all that experience won't they. Nonsense.

bartons experienced aswell and been largely shite in his time here. he seems to be getting a very easy ride of things here.

Hughton on SSN:

going to play devils advocate and switch it slightly, i hate Butt as much as the next person but the abuse and blame is getting dafter. We were poor going forward and weren't creating much,  from what i've seen from watching Newcastle and Guthrie & Barton, those 2 are supposedly two of our creative players,  as we weren't creating much perhaps the manager thought it better to leave the defensive midfielder ON the pitch and replace the 2 so called creative players who were creating FUCK ALL!!?  just a thought but no doubt it'll still be Butts fault.

whenever lua lua has came on for the first team he's looked lost with lots of running going nowhere. i'd probably rather have geremi in away games.

Very good point about Geremi. Can you believe that as bad as our midfield is he doesn't even get a look in. How can you justify playing Butt or Nolan ahead of him?

But hey Geremi seems like a pretty cheerful bloke that won't complain too much or make too much of a fuss if he gets shafted, so yeah let's stick him on the bench why don't we.

Very weak from Hughton really.

As Sewelly picked up on, I was being facetious. But hey ho...

Is that the Nolan who's done pretty well so far this season? Has Alan Smith's "experience" not helped us this season so far?

Nonsense?

Very good point about Geremi. Can you believe that as bad as our midfield is he doesn't even get a look in. How can you justify playing Butt or Nolan ahead of him?

Geremi? OUR Geremi? The Geremi whose last start I can remember - at Hull - was worse than anything Butt or Nolan have produced?

Geremi? OUR Geremi? The Geremi whose last start I can remember - at Hull - was worse than anything Butt or Nolan have produced?

i've seen barton and guthrie put in some invisible displays aswell. it's the average that counts not lows.

i've seen barton and guthrie put in some invisible displays aswell. it's the average that counts not lows.

I don't disagree re Barton and Guthrie, but can you tell me what Geremi has produced to boost his average after performances like Hull?

Last 3 games now with that formation we've scored only one goal each game.

Butt coming in is probably largely the reason that tonight that wasnt good enough.

But we shouldnt need to be relying on that to be good enough in the first place. We have there a side currently capable of winning games by far more than 1-0. Its acceptable only when theres no other strikers, that clearly wasnt the case tonight atall.

Have thought that in some of our wins if the opposition had taken the chances we'd afforded them or had a little bit more rub of the green we could have dropped points like, has felt kind of like we've been riding our luck a little bit and were due a defeat.

Think we rode our luck hugely on sunday.

Its all to do with Nicky Butt though apparently.