Peterborough 2 - 0 Newcastle (CC) - 22/09/09 - post match reaction from page 11

Dave

I thought sending off in a cup competition only applies to a cup competiton.

If you go out of the cup it applies for the next match iirc.

He's been red carded in a domestic game, he misses the next domestic match regardless of whether we're in or out.

Guest Roger Kint

Why are people assuming Butt will start on Saturday now that Guthrie's suspended? ???

Maybe because Butt was 'rested' today. Just my opinion.

So was Barton

And Nolan, Geremi & Smith...

Erm we are talking about players being rested here, you are talking about our 3 subs ;D

If you go out of the cup it applies for the next match.

Even if we won it'd be the Ipswich game he misses.

My bad, it's the reverse I'm thinking of. A league suspension does not have to be carried out in a cup.

Why are people assuming Butt will start on Saturday now that Guthrie's suspended? ???

So was Barton

Erm we are talking about players being rested here, you are talking about our 3 subs ;D

Would they have been on the bench for a league game, or would you say they've been given a break? (ie, rested) ;)

My bad, it's the reverse I'm thinking of. A league suspension does not have to be carried out in a cup.

Really?

Yeah it does... remember when Luis Garcia and Hayden Mullins got sent off in the Liverpool/West Ham league game?, well they missed the FA Cup final for that.

Really?

"As of 2008, in England if a direct red card is shown, then the player in question is dismissed from the field immediately and normally faces a one, two or three-match ban depending on the offence, which exceeds the FIFA minimum. Suspensions apply to the player's next competitive domestic matches, whether these be in League or Cup competitions. FIFA does not normally expect a red-carded player in a domestic league match to sit out the national cup or international competition (such as the UEFA Champions League); his ban is to be served in the next league match. The same principle applies in reverse for players sent off in European or international competition."

Guest Roger Kint

So was Barton

Would they have been on the bench for a league game, or would you say they've been given a break? (ie, rested) ;)

He put it in speech marks for gods sake, pretty obvious its a different thing ;D

On a side note Sky Sports Score Centre still has Guthrie playing......