No to a Bobby Robson stand.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Its not that I don't have the utmost respect for Bobby Robson - I do.

But when it comes to naming a stand at St James Park I believe that there are more worthy candidates from Newcastle United's history.

Bobby Robson spent his entire playing career away from this region and the the height of his managerial success was before he came home.

His greatest legacy is the cancer research centre which bears his name at the cities' Freeman hospital.

There are names such as Hughie Gallacher, Bob Moncur and Joe Harvey who in my opinion deserve recognition at St James' before Bobby Robson.

Joe Harvey was the clubs longest serving captain and manager and won trophies in both capacities, something no one else has achieved.

I would like to see a stand named in honour of Joe Harvey.

Arguably Newcastle's greatest ever servant.

I would welcome a Bobby Robson stand, I agree with what you are saying to a extent ( Namley jo Harvey )

But I don't think anyone touched peoples hearts the way Bobby did.

Do I think they should name a stand after him? No Would I mind/ not in the slightest.

Also why bring this up?

Guest kirkpatrick9

Its not that I don't have the utmost respect for Bobby Robson - I do.

But when it comes to naming a stand at St James Park I believe that there are more worthy candidates from Newcastle United's history.

Bobby Robson spent his entire playing career away from this region and the the height of his managerial success was before he came home.

His greatest legacy is the cancer research centre which bears his name at the cities' Freeman hospital.

There are names such as Hughie Gallacher, Bob Moncur and Joe Harvey who in my opinion deserve recognition at St James' before Bobby Robson.

Joe Harvey was the clubs longest serving captain and manager and won trophies in both capacities, something no one else has achieved.

I would like to see a stand named in honour of Joe Harvey.

Arguably Newcastle's greatest ever servant.

I want a stand named after his foundation, more than I want the stand named after Sir Bobby, but I would be happy with either.

While he is a legend, Sir Bobby's greatest achievements were at other clubs.

It just wouldn't feel right, or fair to managers that actually won things here, if he got a stand named after him.

Guest taff2727

Gallowgate, Leazes, Milburn and East.

Just leave at that ffs.

a memorial garden in the city somwhere,would be a more fitting tribute i think.

a stand is a non starter for me.

:thup: I still think there should be some recognition of Sir Bobby in or around the ground, but not the renaming of a stand.

There definitely should be something honouring Joe Harvey. I'd like to see something named after Pedro as well, not a stand but something around the club as there haven't been many better than Pedro to wear the shirt.

"do i remember (i was only a wee 'un at the time, a good 15+ years underage) there being a bar in the stadium called 'harvey's'? or is it just a figment of my imagination?

and if so was it named after joe?"

yup. it was a posh restaurant with a view out onto the pitch in the south west corner. went a couple of times with work.

• 2 months later...

I'd have the East stand named after him like. Sat there for years before I moved and it needs a bit of perking up.

I understand all the arguements as to why not mind, especially the Harvey arguement. I reckon they should name a stand at Wembley after him. His footballing contribution should be represented in a stadium (other than just Prtman rd.) and then everyone in the country can say one of their stands is named after a true football legend. Fitting I reckon

Also just found this page. It won't be great reading for those asking for his memory to be put to bed after only a few months like. But its nice to remember moments from people like that when sadly they aren't around to give the to you anymore!

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1038

How about the "Bellamy, Vianna, past Van Wonderen, BELLAMYYY! stand".

Shocking memory.

I can't believe he got the Feyenoord player right but not the first two NUFC ones :lol:

"Kieron Dyer...past Van Wonderen...oh Dyer blocked..BELLLAMMMYYY! It's in! Ohhhh unbelievable! Have you ever seen more a dramatic night in the Champions League?!" :snod:

Fractured my eye socket playing football earlier that day, concussed, on pain killers and pissed on WKD (I was a student, it was allowed). Pulled a stunner of  blonde IRish lass anall that night. IT doesn't get much better than that night

How about the "Bellamy, Vianna, past Van Wonderen, BELLAMYYY! stand".

Shocking memory.

I can't believe he got the Feyenoord player right but not the first two NUFC ones :lol:

I was talking about the goalscorers, numbnuts.

I'd have the East stand named after him like. Sat there for years before I moved and it needs a bit of perking up.

I understand all the arguements as to why not mind, especially the Harvey arguement. I reckon they should name a stand at Wembley after him. His footballing contribution should be represented in a stadium (other than just Prtman rd.) and then everyone in the country can say one of their stands is named after a true football legend. Fitting I reckon

Also just found this page. It won't be great reading for those asking for his memory to be put to bed after only a few months like. But its nice to remember moments from people like that when sadly they aren't around to give the to you anymore!

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1038

no ones asking for his memory to be put to bed but managing the club for 5 years shouldn't be enough to have a stand named after you (unless he'd won the league or similar). if so joe harvey desreves as much, in the heart jackie milburn should and keegan probably deserves more from the club than SBR. in the overall history of the club (and city for that matter) i'm surprised more has never been made of colin veitch.