Keegan vs Ashley and Co case settled - KK awarded 2m

Taylor Swift

So it all comes down to Nacho? What about the Milner sale and Xisco, did Keegan approve those?

think youre missing the point a bit. nacho deal was the specific grounds keegan's legal team used to fight the claim, and it's referred to as a 'last straw'. there's other stuff that has gone on, as the pdf mentions in passing, but they haven't been used to fight this particular legal battle. the pdf isnt a judgement on every single little thing that went on.

this throw's another point?  if this was over just 1 transfer, shouldn't keegan's love of the club show through it for 1 transfer

Because he signed for the club on the basis that he had the final say over transfers and his final say over Nacho was 'no' yet the club signed him? Perfectly reasonable reaction for him to quit, especially considering the circumstantial shit like the Milner sale and no one else being signed.

Guest icemanblue

So it all comes down to Nacho? What about the Milner sale and Xisco, did Keegan approve those?

think youre missing the point a bit. nacho deal was the specific grounds keegan's legal team used to fight the claim, and it's referred to as a 'last straw'. there's other stuff that has gone on, as the pdf mentions in passing, but they haven't been used to fight this particular legal battle. the pdf isnt a judgement on every single little thing that went on.

this throw's another point?  if this was over just 1 transfer, shouldn't keegan's love of the club show through it,

But it wasn't about one transfer. It's over the principle. He was lead to believe he had the final say and he didn't. Simple as that.

fine, but don't throw a strop when ppl say he's a quitter as that is down to his principles

Eh? It's constructive dismissal.

I've found it baffling all along that some 'fans' had a complete lack of respect for Keegan and actually thought he was at fault. His integrity has never been questioned in my mind.

Statement from KK

STATEMENT OF KEVIN KEEGAN

1. I am delighted that the Premier League Manager’s Arbitration Tribunal has today formally announced that it has upheld my claim for wrongful dismissal against Newcastle United. The full details of the decision are on the Premier League website and will also be added to the League Managers Association website in due course.

2. I took the decision to resign in September 2008 only after very careful and anxious consideration. The decision to resign was one of the most difficult decisions that I have ever had to take in my life. I believe that anybody who knows me and my attachment to Newcastle United and the North East in general will understand how difficult this must have been. I very much hope that the decision of the Tribunal now confirms why I felt that I had no option but to resign from the position as Manager of the Club that I love.

3. The Tribunal has found the conduct of the Club in forcing a player on me against my wishes represented a fundamental breach of my contract of employment. I do not believe that there is any Manager in football who could have remained at the Club in the light of their conduct.

4. Since my departure there have been many untrue stories written about my resignation, my time at the Club and these proceedings. I do not blame the press for this: I know that the journalists concerned are only doing their job but I hope that the Tribunal’s decision will now conclusively put to rest a number of allegations made against me.

5. In particular I believe that the Tribunal’s decision makes it clear that:

5.1 I did have the final say on transfers and the Club’s allegation that I did not, which was publicised widely at the time of my resignation and subsequently, was simply untrue.

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

5.3 I resigned because I was being asked to sanction the signing of a player in order to “do a favour” for two South American agents. No one at the Club had seen this player play and I was asked to sign him on the basis of some clips on You Tube. This is something that I was not prepared to be associated with in any way. The Club knew that I objected strongly to this transfer and were aware that by continuing with it I was likely to feel that I had no option but to resign. Notwithstanding this they nevertheless went on to sign the player at very substantial cost to the Club.

5.4 Contrary to the public statements made by the Club at the time they did not do all that they could to retain me at the Club. In particular they refused to acknowledge that I was entitled to the final say on transfers. This left me in a totally untenable position.

5.5 A number of the allegations made against me by the Club at the hearing in order to support their £2 Million claim against me were totally without foundation and should never have been raised in the proceedings.

6. I very much regret that this claim ever had to go to the hearing as it did. I want to state categorically that the allegation that has been made in the press that I turned down an offer of £4 Million to settle the claim is simply untrue. No such offer was made to me.

7. I also want to confirm that a central purpose of my claim has always been to clear my name and restore my reputation. I consider it of vital importance that I was able to let people know about the full circumstances of my resignation and the way in which I had been treated by the Club. I hope that this purpose has now been achieved.

8. There are a number of technical issues that still need to be resolved by the Tribunal and I obviously will not be in a position to comment on them until after those issues have been resolved.

9. I would like to thank my family, friends, legal team and the LMA who have all offered me their unstinting support throughout this very challenging period. I would also like to thank the members of the Tribunal itself who have given such fair, able and meticulous consideration to my case.

10. Finally I would like to thank the fans of Newcastle United for their continued support and wish them and the Club continued success in the current season in their goal of reaching the Premier League.

Just posted in the  other thread & on reviewing the pdf it was not about one player that was the final straw or as they in South America the last nacho.

6. Although we heard a considerable amount of evidence as to events which took place

in the months which followed Mr Keegan’s appointment, in view of our conclusions,

we can proceed at once to the events which culminated in Mr Keegan’s resignation on

4 September 2008.

Guest neesy111

is this an error

5.1 I did have the final say on transfers and the Club’s allegation that I did not, which was publicised widely at the time of my resignation and subsequently, was simply untrue.

So he says the £4m offer was never made, what he doesnt say is whether or not he would have accepted it if it had been made.

What the fuck are you on about? Do you really think he was going to say in his press release "they never offered me the £4 million but I am telling you now, I would love it, love it if the did"

Guest neesy111

Keegan was right to be pissed off about it, but I still don't feel that was enough to make him resign. He could have easily just ignored him from the squad if he didn't like him. Doesn't change the fact Ashley, Wise and Llambias are cunts.

i agree with most of this, but apparently this GIVE's you no credibility according to some of the fuckers on here, if you even question anything about keegan

TWO THREADS IS MAD.

Megathreads are shit, man.

yeah but its the same stuff in both,

Anyway, this decision is important enough to have a separate thread for it but we'll see what the mods feel about it when they're on.

Why is anyone surprised by all this ? I never had any doubt that, despite his short fuse and tendency to pettiness, KK was right to resign AND to bring a case against Ashley & Co.

The fact that Wenger and Ferguson also backed his stance added to the strength of his argument - neither has any brief to be in his corner unless they had heard about the circumstances of his departure.

The club have behaved disgracefully and have attempted to deceive both the fans AND the wider football world - this episode will ensure that, until Ashley and his seedy sidekicks exit SJP for the last time, no manager of repute will take the job and the club will fail to progress.

The result of this case means that the club will remain a poisoned chalice until structural changes occur - and the risk of losing what decent players that remain will grow...

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid Ashley has been to allow this situation to develop - anyone with half a brain, even if wrong, would have given KK the 2m in order to keep the case from developing and to keep his own reputation(or what little is left of it..!) from being trashed.

Totally incredible, but hardly surprising - would YOU buy a used Football Club from this man..?

If we start losing, a long hard few months beckon....

Also worth noting that KK agreed that the 'stigma' damages didn't need to be awarded if the tribunal published their findings and thereby restore his reputation (which imo it certainly did).

what we as fans think of him , means more to him than money.

Keegan was right to be pissed off about it, but I still don't feel that was enough to make him resign. He could have easily just ignored him from the squad if he didn't like him. Doesn't change the fact Ashley, Wise and Llambias are c***s.

Totally disagree - there would have been ANOTHER bone of contention further down the line had he given way on this ; do you seriously think any Top 4 manager would have stayed in these circumstances, or indeed, any manager with a sense of self-preservation ?

Guest icemanblue

Also worth noting that KK agreed that the 'stigma' damages didn't need to be awarded if the tribunal published their findings and thereby restore his reputation (which imo it certainly did).

This has been completely brushed under the carpet by SSN and Ashley's puppet David Craig. The focus is on the 25m claim.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I hope he speaks out now.