Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So.... has he signed yet then ?

Your first name isn't Ben is it...  :shifty:

No it's Hatem :p

:frantic:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wonder what the word is on his wages. If they've broken the self imposed £25k basic cap, then they've just opened up a whole new issue for themselves.

Wonder what the word is on his wages. If they've broken the self imposed £25k basic cap, then they've just opened up a whole new issue for themselves.

telegraph says 35k which is the alleged limit

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Does 'option for a further season' really mean anything?

Depends on which way it works. If its an amicable deal where both parties come to an agreement to continue the deal or if its a >50% games played = auto renewal.

But surely if it's the first case it applies anyway? Like saying '"I'm going to eat an apple and I might eat another apple after that", means fuck all, because I might decide the apples are shite after having the first one.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, but I've agreed to think about letting you have that apple, rather then telling you now, 'fuck off you've already had one apple, you greedy git'.

Guest toonlass

But surely if it's the first case it applies anyway? Like saying '"I'm going to eat an apple and I might eat another apple after that", means fuck all, because I might decide the apples are shite after having the first one.

Were you riding a bike while eating this apple?

But surely the option to have another apple after the first apple is normal? No-one eats an apple and guarantees that they won't have another apple afterwards do they?

Edit: this is starting to not make sense. I mean no team signs a player telling them 'YOU WON'T GET ANOTHER CONTRACT'.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But surely the option to have another apple after the first apple is normal? No-one eats an apple and guarantees that they won't have another apple afterwards do they?

No idea, never been in a contract negation, so I'm just sprouting shite. Chances are he wanted a 2 year deal, but they've sat down with him and offered him one, with a view for a contract extension if things are working well. Understand what you're asking, but I guess it goes back to 'gentlemen's agreement' deals.

No idea, never been in a contract negation, so I'm just sprouting s****. Chances are he wanted a 2 year deal, but they've sat down with him and offered him one, with a view for a contract extension if things are working well. Understand what you're asking, but I guess it goes back to 'gentlemen's agreement' deals.

Like Dan Gosling and Everton then :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sauce?

Daddy's.

Source: Jan several newspapers (Mirror, Metro, Chronicle) mentioned anything between £25k-£30K, now papers this Summer seem to be saying its £35k.

Campbell has opted to head to St James Park after rejecting the overtures of Celtic and Newcastles arch-rivals, Sunderland, and it is believed that he will sign a one-year deal with an option for a further season in the North-East.

The Newcastle regime are understood to be ready to pay the 35 year-old the maximum amount allowed under their new wage structure - £35,000-per-week which is less half the sum he was offered to play for newly-promoted Bundesliga side St Pauli.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/championship/newcastleunited/7913387/Newcastle-on-verge-of-signing-Sol-Campbell.html

Sounds fair enough if true :thup:

Sauce?

Daddy's.

Source: Jan several newspapers (Mirror, Metro, Chronicle) mentioned anything between £25k-£30K, now papers this Summer seem to be saying its £35k.

Alternatively: it's bollocks. O0

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Who knows! If there is one though, it was a valid question. There certainly seems to be a sensible wage structure in place now, if that's a wage cap or not remains to be seen.

Who knows! If there is one though, it was a valid question. There certainly seems to be a sensible wage structure in place now, if that's a wage cap or not remains to be seen.

Nah man, it's just a pet hate of mine, people going on about wages like they know what players earn and what we can afford. Shit like 'if he's on less than £30k it's a good deal' pisses me off. Come off it, these days - more than ever - we'll ONLY be signing players we can comfortably afford. Why worry about it, or make baseless claims about what is good or bad?

If Campbell does the business he'll be worth whatever we're paying him. If he's rubbish then he won't.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nah man, it's just a pet hate of mine, people going on about wages like they know what players earn and what we can afford. Shit like 'if he's on less than £30k it's a good deal' pisses me off. Come off it, these days - more than ever - we'll ONLY be signing players we can comfortably afford. Why worry about it, or make baseless claims about what is good or bad?

If Campbell does the business he'll be worth whatever we're paying him. If he's rubbish then he won't.

Aye, see where you're coming from, but when I was told that Colo was on £90k by someone who should know these things, it does make you go 'WHAT?!' in a high pitched squeally pig voice. If Ashley has set up a correct wage structure then power to him, its taken the club 15 years to get one in place!