Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In the short term he's a better option than Williamson. So in light of Taylor's injury it's not a bad signing, providing the wages aren't going to deprive us of a new striker.

If the wages were going to deprive us of a new striker then I doubt we would even consider Sol tbh.

Edit - For the record I think Campbell is also still a better CB than Taylor at this moment in time.

Probably, but it's not saying much.

Where did this getting "a new striker" come from?

We have

Carroll

Loven

Best

Ameobi

Where did this start?

Plus Smith (:shifty:) and Nolan playing off a lone front man. Unless someone rubbish becomes available on a free (ala Harewood) I can't see us making any changes.

and xisco

I vote new thread.

Good signing. Kadar clearly isnt ready to potentially start for a long period of time in the premiership, Taylor out for god knows how long leaving us with only 2 centre halves that are good enough.

Campbell proved last season he can still do a job at this level. Get him in for a year as cover first and foremost, no doubt he's probably good enough still to rival Colo and Williamson. This is not to mention his premier league experience, something we haven't actually got in abundance along the back line. Pleased with that, nice little piece of business. 

Where did this getting "a new striker" come from?

We have

Carroll

Loven

Best

Ameobi

Where did this start?

Plus Smith (:shifty:) and Nolan playing off a lone front man. Unless someone rubbish becomes available on a free (ala Harewood) I can't see us making any changes.

and xisco

The Xisco kid is back!   :lol:  We got a defender and a new forward in one day  :lol:

This is a good signing. Hopefully he can stay fit and contribute to our team while we rebuild. I do worry about whether or not he can maintain his fitness through a long season where he's sure to be called on quite a bit, but I'm optimistic.

Really solid signing imo. If there's any chance of getting One-Size on loan again, i'd go for that n'all. We've proven time and again that the centre-back position rests on a knife-edge. I know we've done alright for injuries over the last twelve months, but the idea of putting the likes of Simpson or Perch in against seasoned Premier League strikers makes me want to bab myself. We struggled with that against Scunthorpe.

Campbell's another excellent step in the right direction but we still need to fill this squad out. It's become so boring, us always succumbing to squeaky-bums, praying that player X didn't get injured. It's practically a trademark of us - we're always wary of "so-and-so can't get injured cos if he does, we'll be fucked". Teams in our situation need to have a big squad. It's going to be a relegation battle; strength in depth is something that will undoubtedly give us a better chance.

But this is a great move, no doubt about it for me. One of my favourite ever England players is Sol. :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hope its a case of he is quality, and not Arsenal making him look quality last season. Though Vermallen did seem to have his better games along side Campbell.

Guest Howaythetoon

My brother in law is a season ticket holder at Arsenal and is quite disappointed he's not re-signed for them. He says when he rejoined it took him a few games to get going but once he got a few under his belt it was like the Sol of old but just slower. He still reckons he's quicker than most though and says he'll do job for us and that our chances of staying up have just increased. I regard his views as pretty good when it comes to the game so based on that I'm quite pleased with this deal.

Guest sicko2ndbest

lad at work saying SSN are reporting that celtic are confident they have tied this deal up!???

?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

lad at work saying SSN are reporting that celtic are confident they have tied this deal up!???

They were confident they had tied it up, until Campbell appeared at Darsley Park 8am in the morning.  :lol:

Strange considering Kevin Nolan confirmed that Big Sol was at Benton this morning...

We'll see.

Is only on the SPL headlines along the bottom, dont think they have taken it off from a few days ago. It isn't breaking news or being talked about.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Strange considering Kevin Nolan confirmed that Big Sol was at Benton this morning...

We'll see.

Wheres this Nolan quote from?