Nicky Butt: Chris Hughton must face shadow of Alan Shearer at Newcastle

Tooj

I honestly don't understand this idea that Nicky Butt is a leader in the dressing room or somehow has anything positive to contribute to this team (opinions included). His contribution to the club has been on par with Barton and he has been here much longer. He doesn't want to play for us - its just a job to him. He doesn't love football, he didn't even keep his Champs League winning medal - I have long suspected him of suffering from depression and alcoholism. We pay him a huge amount for almost nothing in return. He is a liability to this club.

The moment that epitomises Butt for me:

Away to Villa, Dyer and Bowyer start into handbags 15 feet away from Butt. He puts his hands on his hips and watches with apathy. Gareth f*cking Barry actually starts to intervene first (eventhough he is further away) and THEN Stepehen f*cking Carr (perhaps the slowest player for Newcastle in the last 50 years) charges up half the field to try to break it up and THEN Butt lamely walks forward with the Ref.

Yeah - that's leadership.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't understand this idea that Nicky Butt is a leader in the dressing room or somehow has anything positive to contribute to this team (opinions included). His contribution to the club has been on par with Barton and he has been here much longer. He doesn't want to play for us - its just a job to him. He doesn't love football, he didn't even keep his Champs League winning medal - I have long suspected him of suffering from depression and alcoholism. We pay him a huge amount for almost nothing in return. He is a liability to this club.

Away to Villa, Dyer and Bowyer start into handbags 15 feet away from Butt. He puts his hands on his hips and watches with apathy. Gareth f*cking Barry actually starts to intervene first (eventhough he is further away) and THEN Stepehen f*cking Carr (perhaps the slowest player for Newcastle in the last 50 years) charges up half the field to try to break it up and THEN Butt lamely walks forward with the Ref.

Shearer was captain that day, Butt was a peripheral squad memeber.

Shearer was captain that day, Butt was a peripheral squad member.

Agreed, for all his current faults, very harsh to have a go at Butt for that particular incident. Most people didn't even realise what was going on until it was already over (also it was at home).

However, is that another thinly veiled go at Shearer? ;)

I actually saw the incident coming from the Gallowgate because they pair of them had exhanged words 3 minutes beforehand when Dyer badly overhit a pass. For the actual incident I looked straight to Bowyer after I saw Dyer shouting back and knew what was coming. For all his cockney tough guy bravado he only managed to get his shirt ripped, which was dissapointing.

Guest Heneage

Leaders on the pitch aren't defined by an armband mate, if you are a leader type you would stop them fighting, captain or reserve player.

That's hardly his point. They were his teammates... being Captain isn't the only requirement to separate two of your fighting teammates.

That's hardly his point. They were his teammates... being Captain isn't the only requirement to separate two of your fighting teammates.

so lets only point out that butt done nowt.

so lets only point out that butt done nowt.

butt it happened under his nose.

The whole team hardly gave a shit at that point. We're talking about Butt, so we're singling out Butt on this occassion. Most of that side are gone - Butt's still here, and what's more he's our current Captain. CaliMag's made a fair point and tbh, i can totally see what he's getting at with regards to Butt's passion for the game. It's practically non-existant, certainly on the surface anyway.

The whole team hardly gave a s*** at that point. We're talking about Butt, so we're singling out Butt on this occassion. Most of that side are gone - Butt's still here, and what's more he's our current Captain. CaliMag's made a fair point and tbh, i can totally see what he's getting at with regards to Butt's passion for the game. It's practically non-existant, certainly on the surface anyway.

wrong. you only single someone out if they are the single one. he wasn't. shearer as pointed out, as captain should be the one singled out if anyone.

The whole team hardly gave a s*** at that point. We're talking about Butt, so we're singling out Butt on this occassion. Most of that side are gone - Butt's still here, and what's more he's our current Captain. CaliMag's made a fair point and tbh, i can totally see what he's getting at with regards to Butt's passion for the game. It's practically non-existant, certainly on the surface anyway.

wrong. you only single someone out if they are the single one. he wasn't. shearer as pointed out, as captain should be the one singled out if anyone.

Halfway across the pitch, they'd both have seen the red card by the time he got there. He was old and slow by then.

Er, no... ??? We're talking about Nicky Butt, so we're analysing Butt's reaction - not everyone else's. I'm not talking about the team as a collective on that day - i'm talking about Butt, just Butt. Maybe everyone else was shit too but i'm not on about them. His reaction, btw, was total shit and thoroughly backs up the claim that he is a pretty half-arsed footballer when it comes down to it. That's what we're arguing here. The Villa match is exhibit A.

Anyhow. You can't seem to make up your mind whether or not we're allowed to single players out over this incident, but essentially - by this: "we should be singling out Shearer if anyone"... you're saying that Shearer is the only one who had any right to react whilst everyone should have laid on the floor and sucked their thumbs. Which is ridiculous.*

T'end of 'day... two teammates were fighting on the pitch. Butt did nowt. That's a fair thing bit of evidence to suggest he couldn't care less at times.

That Alkmaar home match springs to mind too, btw - when Koevermans (i think it was) took the penalty that was saved and finished on the rebound... Butt was stood on the D with his hands on his hips watching it all unfold. If he'd charged in for the rebound, we might have saved the goal that ultimately knocked us out of the competition that year. By the way - Kieron Dyer was stood next to him on that D during that same incident, and he had an identical reaction. But, just for the record, this conversation is about Butt so i'm singling him out. ;)

*By the by, in an unrelated matter - Kieron Dyer came out in the ensuing days following that incident, saying it was Shearer who ripped the shit out of them in the dressing room and demanded they come out and make a public apology - which they did so immediately after the game. Not that it's relevant. :aww:

Leaders on the pitch aren't defined by an armband mate, if you are a leader type you would stop them fighting, captain or reserve player.

But we all know that Butt isn't a leader, I'd expect nowt more from him.

Er, no... ??? We're talking about Nicky Butt, so we're analysing Butt's reaction - not everyone else's. I'm not talking about the team as a collective on that day - i'm talking about Butt, just Butt. Maybe everyone else was s*** too but i'm not on about them. His reaction, btw, was total s*** and thoroughly backs up the claim that he is a pretty half-arsed footballer when it comes down to it. That's what we're arguing here. The Villa match is exhibit A.

Anyhow. You can't seem to make up your mind whether or not we're allowed to single players out over this incident, but essentially - by this: "we should be singling out Shearer if anyone"... you're saying that Shearer is the only one who had any right to react whilst everyone should have laid on the floor and sucked their thumbs. Which is ridiculous.*

T'end of 'day... two teammates were fighting on the pitch. Butt did nowt. That's a fair thing bit of evidence to suggest he couldn't care less at times.

That Alkmaar home match springs to mind too, btw - when Koevermans (i think it was) took the penalty that was saved and finished on the rebound... Butt was stood on the D with his hands on his hips watching it all unfold. If he'd charged in for the rebound, we might have saved the goal that ultimately knocked us out of the competition that year. By the way - Kieron Dyer was stood next to him on that D during that same incident, and he had an identical reaction. But, just for the record, this conversation is about Butt so i'm singling him out. ;)

*By the by, in an unrelated matter - Kieron Dyer came out in the ensuing days following that incident, saying it was Shearer who ripped the s*** out of them in the dressing room and demanded they come out and make a public apology - which they did so immediately after the game. Not that it's relevant. :aww:

quite pathetic. suppose i shouldn't have expected any better.

shearer got singled out as he was the captain. in this sort of situation i don't see it as unreasonable to question what he was doing.

What exactly is pathetic about it? I am analysing Butt's reaction cos he's the one we're talking about. ??? I'm not saying he was the only one not to have reacted, am i?

EDIT: Reading it back the tone is a little arsey so i apologise for that - it wasn't meant to be. I was just trying to make it clear that i am purely just on about Butt, and no one else.

What exactly is pathetic about it? I am analysing Butt's reaction cos he's the one we're talking about. ??? I'm not saying he was the only one not to have reacted, am i?

normally if 8 people do something you don't call one person for it. to be honest i've seen a few occasions when players on the same side have a go at each, normally just pushing and shoving. very rarely does more than one person intervene. i guess in every occasion it proves the rest are half arsed.

a lot of butt's performances could easily be used in evidence. however this example is the crappiest attempt at scapegoating for a while. well done.

Crying out loud. I'm not just calling one person for it though - am i! I am NOT saying that he was the only one, and i'm not scapegoating. I'm just choosing to analyse his particular reaction rather than anyone else's. I - well, CaliMag - was looking for things to suggest Butt is a half-arsed footballer and that particular incident is one thing to suggest he is. I'm not denying that the rest of the team (however many of ours were on the pitch at that point, i forget :lol:) were total wasters aswell - but none of them remain at the club now. But Butt does and he's our current Captain.

a lot of butt's performances could easily be used in evidence. however this example is the crappiest attempt at scapegoating for a while. well done.

And yet Carr cared and I would also argue Shearer did as well. This is just one example of him not caring. I think he honestly doesn't care and on the plus side that gives him free reign to say what he thinks. I don;t think he is duplicitous or dishonest I just think he lacks passion and ability - hardly attibutes for the person who shold be our captain.

And Madras... the "crappiest attempt at scapegoating"? Come one... you read this forum... I'd give it a 3 on the scale of one to ten.

I never disagreed with you, I was simply wondering why you felt it necessary to point out that Butt didn't stop them trading blows.

I think this along with his non-acknowledgement of the away fans his first season here, along with his interviews about not keeping any of his football mementos perfectly illustrates someone who doesn't care and is the last player (no exagerration here) of the first XI who should be given the armband.